• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sm4sh falcon = n64 falcon?

1FC0

Smash Lord
I like Smash64 Falcon too aside from the lack of knee. Too bad this one ain't it.

asd_

Smash Cadet
I like Smash64 Falcon too aside from the lack of knee. Too bad this one ain't it.
uair strings seems like a thing with combo potential into an up b, and bair approaching seems viable due to the autocanceling, downthrow is near guarenteed aerial setups just like 64....what's the main differences in feel then?

i'm not talking about moveset, talking about just the overall feel/playstyle of the character. from 64 to melee he changed a lot, this (to me) looks more 64-esque falcon.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Still a lot more like Brawl, IMO. Specially now that Falcon Dive doesn't kill anymore :(

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Brawl Falcon plays like if you were playing a top tier deck in a trading card game, then took all the best cards out and replaced them with poor man's versions of those cards. Sure, it's not unfamiliar, but it's poop tier compared to how good it used to be.

Exor

Smash Cadet
I think Falcon feels like a beautiful combination of all three previous Falcons. He's definitely got a bit of 64 in him thanks to his Uairs that you can string into Up B (although Up B doesn't kill). He's definitely better than Brawl Falcon.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Cap feels sorta like a blend of Brawl and Melee Falcon. Plenty of the Nerfs fed by Brawl but carries some of the things that made him great in Melee.

It's a surreal feeling playing Cap now and saying "Damn I don't know whether I like playing as him or not."

I'd say wait for more techs to be discovered so that we can make the best out of each character, including Cap.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I must be an odd character because I liked playing Falcon in Brawl and didn't really like using him in Melee, when comparing both Falcons. I don't know, I probably just like Brawl's physics better...

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I must be an odd character because I liked playing Falcon in Brawl and didn't really like using him in Melee, when comparing both Falcons. I don't know, I probably just like Brawl's physics better...
>I probably just like Brawl's physics better...
That's really odd, actually. I've never actually heard anyone say that before.
I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it sure is new.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It's probably worth mentioning that I prefer my fighting games to be based on reads, not combos, heh.

I did enjoy 64's Falcon, though. Because he was the coolest of the whole cast, I guess.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Brawl Falcon plays like if you were playing a top tier deck in a trading card game, then took all the best cards out and replaced them with poor man's versions of those cards. Sure, it's not unfamiliar, but it's poop tier compared to how good it used to be.
this is an accurate comparison

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
It's probably worth mentioning that I prefer my fighting games to be based on reads, not combos, heh.

I did enjoy 64's Falcon, though. Because he was the coolest of the whole cast, I guess.
It is a common and incorrect fallacy to say that Melee is somehow less read-based than Brawl.

But that's probably not an argument worth having on the Smash 4 Falcon board, I suppose. :\

asd_

Smash Cadet
It is a common and incorrect fallacy to say that Melee is somehow less read-based than Brawl.

But that's probably not an argument worth having on the Smash 4 Falcon board, I suppose. :\

he means 64; reads are more important in brawl rather than 64 and melee simply because the mechanical skill cap is much lower, therefore you can't have insanely good combo skills / tech skills to make up for your lack of ability to read people at low to mid level play. i don't think that will be debated by anyone.

and it's a totally valid opinion to prefer your fighting games to emphasize mental skill rather than mechanical skill. not one i agree with but it's still valid.

I think Falcon feels like a beautiful combination of all three previous Falcons. He's definitely got a bit of 64 in him thanks to his Uairs that you can string into Up B (although Up B doesn't kill). He's definitely better than Brawl Falcon.
thanks for the post,

does he feel as unwieldy as he is in melee though? not sure if that's the right word i'm looking for

it should be noted that im iffy about falcon in melee/pm but love him in 64, mostly because his grab/uair game

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
My left arm would be more important if I didn't have my right arm but even as a fully armed person, my left arm is a pretty big deal. So the fact that reads are more important in Brawl just means the game took away something essential to the completeness of a fighting game.

Let's put it this way. No one who played Falcon seriously in Melee is going to play him in Smash 4. It's like playing basketball with one hand. You're just so limited in what you know the potential of the character design to be. There's more fun characters out there. Of course if you've never played Melee Falcon at that level then you're more likely to enjoy the Uair->Uair combos without baggage.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've gotten a side b>uair>uair>up b kill before on a little mac, but if we weren't already off stage he would've lived. Maybe there are some elements of 64 falcon, but not too many.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Smash64 falcon combo'ed much better than this 1. Everyone in Smash64 combo'ed like crazy except Link, Samus, and maybe a few others.

Top Bottom