• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sm4sh Chaingrab Confirmed!

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Below is the video to King DeDeDe's Chaingrab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhIbi7Ntno&feature=youtu.be

A good demonstration is at the 2 minute mark. There are a few different mixups in this video though, the first minute is me screwing up mostly xD

It is a bit tough to pull off on 3ds as you can see, Theoretically if I could perfect it, I would do this starting with an upgrab to upair, then at higher %s when that is not feasible (maybe around 30+) change the upgrab to dgrab and repeat.

You can spike with it, up-air to uptilt/dsmash/d-tilt and kill with it. This should help quite a bit.

Last edited:

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
fairly sure players can jab out of it when landing after the uair

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
We've had a discussion about this chaingrab a few weeks ago. Stuff's amazing. Vectoring messes it up a lot however.

fairly sure players can jab out of it when landing after the uair
With a ff uair, you can be on the ground before they are, meaning you can input your grab before they can jab you out of it.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You also need to take into account your own rage values. This looks like something that's more difficult the higher percentage you are.

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
I can say in most instances when I tried executing this, my training partners can jump out or jab me etc, after I execute the d-throw to ff uair when I try to regrab them. do I have to buffer my grab for this to work?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
As of 1.0.4, uair spiking has been weakened to the point where people can escape it at lower mid %.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I can chain grab almost every character on the ds but non of them on the wiiu. I've gone back and forth and can't figure out why.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
I can chain grab almost every character on the ds but non of them on the wiiu. I've gone back and forth and can't figure out why.
I'm not positive but I think the 3DS and WiiU version do have some differences. Also, I couldn't pull it off without the C-Stick so use that instead of A.
That being said, I've tried this CG out quite a bit and people can escape it (the game doesn't register it as a true combo), but it's a good potential mix-up option from DThrow. If they don't jump out of it, they'll land right next you which is perfect for another DThrow.

Last edited:

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I'm not positive but I think the 3DS and WiiU version do have some differences. Also, I couldn't pull it off without the C-Stick so use that instead of A.
That being said, I've tried this CG out quite a bit and people can escape it (the game doesn't register it as a true combo), but it's a good potential mix-up option from DThrow. If they don't jump out of it, they'll land right next you which is perfect for another DThrow.
I want to think it's not a true CG but I am getting worked by a Sheik sometimes and then I'll get a lucky grab and chain her 3-4 times. The fast characters are really easy to do it on like fox, sonic, greninja, shiek. Again, I can't do it at all on wiiu, it's like I have toooo much control or something.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you can vector/DI out of it 100%, I think it's a guessing game for DDD like most his moves. I chain grab friendlies constantly when they know it's coming and if they DI towards me and I read it, they can't get out of it, same with DI away..but if I guess wrong, they are out. Again, I can't do it on wiiu at all and I've found the lesser your mallet actually touches the other player, the more likely the chain will work. I try to just let the very tip of the mallet get their feet and it'll drag them back down to me.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
It's not even a matter of a guessing game/DI/Vector(that doesn't exist anymore). They can literally jump out of it. The spike isn't strong enough for them to be unable to react to it.

The only plausible reason that you can consistently chaingrab someone as of 1.0.4 is that the players are unaware that they can escape it.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Wii U is version 1.01 and 3DS 1.04. They are similar but do have key differences here and there.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
As far as we know. 1.0.1 on Wii U is exactly like 1.0.4 on 3DS. 3DS simply has more versions because it came out earlier. 1.0.4. was specifically made to match the Wii U build.

Dedede works exactly the same on both platforms.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
You can't really call it a chain grab it is definitely useful and has its place. At the very least it's a good mix up option

Top Bottom