• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sling Spike - Possible new AT for Dark Pit?

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I discovered this while using Dark Pit's Fair in various circumstances. This might be possible with other characters that have multi-hit aerial moves.

Dark Pit's Fair keeps you moving with him at the speed he is moving at so you stay in the move until the last hit. By fast falling and cancelling in the middle of the move into the ground, the one getting hit keeps the fast fall momentum downward. This is fatal for certain characters, and hard to react to unless they know exactly what you are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdyW9YdQ_U

While this is not an actual spike, "Sling spike" sounds cool so that is what I have been calling it. :)

Edit: This has been confirmed to work with other characters' moves as well.

http://smashboards.com/threads/gren...-0-8-is-it-the-first-0-to-death-combo.370015/

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
Figured this would work like this once I saw the MK video. Nice to see some video evidence confirming it. Should make for some interesting edgeguards.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Can Pit do this as well? If not, it certainly makes picking a favorite easier.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Do you have to fast fall it in order for it to work? I actually did something like that to Ike. Only it was offstage and I was able to pull off the Sling Spike right after Ike performed his initial Up B animation, and it still went through and worked.

The fact that you can pull it off on characters that have trouble getting back on stage can make a huge difference in the metagame. Mario, Luigi, Falcon, Ganon, Ike, Marth, Lucina, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Diddy, are the ones that have trouble getting back on the stage, if they're far enough away from the stage from a downwards angle.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
This also happens with Yoshi's Dair, so I'm sure there are lots of characters capable of doing this. I don't think it can be dubbed an AT, it's no more than an even more situational and weaker footstool (minding the attack's damaging properties). It must be satisfying getting a kill with this technique on purpose though.

Ecchin

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠᴏʟɴᴜᴛᴛ
NNID
Generic_Panic
i've seen several characters that can do this "spike" like sheik's u-air
but is useful, i'll try it now!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
that looks a bit tough to do at first glance... might be easier to use on the Wii U version, though...

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Had this done to me in For Glory of all places lol.

But yeah, nearly every if not every multi hitting move drags them downward if canceled during. Zelda has a strong one with Nair for example, but Olimar has a weak one with his Nair.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Greninja has something that works in the same way as this, although it's harder to perform it seems stronger

Im guessing Greninja is not the only one (after reading the above posts)

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I've done it a couple times with Mega Man's bair. Didn't realize all these other characters could do it too.

Top Bottom