• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sliding pivot shield breaker?

Vrmillion

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, first post.

I was playing with my friend earlier and accidentally did this without knowing it was possible. Forgive me if this is something everyone knows about, but I only made the post because I couldn't find this posted anywhere online except for in Brawl threads.

In a run, if you press neutral B and then immediately the opposite direction, Marth will turn around, slide back in the direction he was running from, and be able to charge/release Shield Breaker. There's also a timing to make it just a pivot shield breaker without changing momentum and sliding in the same direction.

I don't have a video as my phone is basically a piece of garbage, but it isn't that hard to do if you wish to replicate it. It seems to work at the earliest at the end of the initial foxtrot, though I could be mistaken.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Yeah, this is just common-or-garden B-reversing. It's pretty well known - you've probably seen plenty of reverse Falcon/Warlock Punches before, this is more or less the same thing (except other characters don't get the extra damage/knockback). You can do this with any character, in a run, walking, even in the air - doing it in the air is useful to trick your opponent while landing by reversing your momentum, sending you in the opposite direction while charging an attack.

Last edited:

Vrmillion

Smash Rookie
Ah, I see. I'd never seen it before on any character and it resembled something you'd see in Melee, so I was just making sure it was already known. Thanks!

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i definitely throw out b reversed sb's in the air. not something i use every match, as it's very situational, but you can definitely catch people off guard with it.

i don't use it on the ground much, but i can see it baiting people approaching you. you don't really expect that kind of mid-range spacing option from marth in neutral, and it's pretty safe if spaced correctly.

Top Bottom