• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleeper Tier Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Which low tier/underrated characters does everyone think will be considered higher tier characters in 2-3 years? Why?

Here is a tier list I found recently that I think is fairly accurate based on tournaments I've seen so far.
http://imgur.com/r/smashbros/Tl7i7Iy
I am NOT asking if everyone agrees with the tier list. I understand a few characters are likely out of place. It’s just there as a point of reference for the question above.

As a Pikachu main I think Pikachu has the potential to be S tier due to the variety of movement options with quick attack and Pikachu's overall speed.
Greninja could possibly be A tier because of his speed and edgeguarding potential.
I’m not sure how high tier Dr. Mario could be but I definitely think he is currently underrated. He has a great grab game, can do a lot of damage, and has great punishes out of shield. Also even though his Up-B isn't a great recovery move it can actually be used to edge guard. He can reverse Up-B off stage similar to how Marth could reverse Up-B in Melee.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm hoping we'll see Jigglypuff regain his glory of the melee days. Realistically, I think he can do it, but if I'm talking from an unbiased standpoint, I bet we'll see Falco, Mac, Bowser, and maybe Zelda hop up a few places. Falco probably has the most potential of anyone that low right now.

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
This may just be my bias speaking, but I honestly think Mac is B to B+ material. Sure, his recovery sucks, but he is really good, and you can even help his recovery out with customs, and seeing as how they are legal at EVO, we may need to start considering them when we talk about tier placement.

D

Deleted member 269706

This may just be my bias speaking, but I honestly think Mac is B to B+ material. Sure, his recovery sucks, but he is really good, and you can even help his recovery out with customs, and seeing as how they are legal at EVO, we may need to start considering them when we talk about tier placement.
I agree. While his air game is pretty horrible, his KO punch pretty much makes up for this, along with his speed, super-armor, counter, and strength. People love to hate on this guy (including myself), but just because we don't like him doesn't make him a worse character. It's true, there's a lot of ****ty Mac's out there, but there's also a lot of great Mac players out there. I'm excited to see how he is perceived after we see more tournament play.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I had already seen that tier list before...

THRILLBURN

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping we'll see Jigglypuff regain his glory of the melee days. Realistically, I think he can do it, but if I'm talking from an unbiased standpoint, I bet we'll see Falco, Mac, Bowser, and maybe Zelda hop up a few places. Falco probably has the most potential of anyone that low right now.
Puff definitely has potential but getting rest on people is a lot harder than it was in melee

D

Deleted member 269706

Puff definitely has potential but getting rest on people is a lot harder than it was in melee
Yeah, and it doesn't do quite as much damage, but we've only had the game for what, 3-4 months? I think people will figure out a lot of tricks with him in the upcoming months!

THRILLBURN

Smash Rookie
Yeah, and it doesn't do quite as much damage, but we've only had the game for what, 3-4 months? I think people will figure out a lot of tricks with him in the upcoming months!
I hope so, puff is fun as hell to play. Someone will figure out a strat for her soon

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Wii Fit Trainer and Toon Link are my two picks for "severely underrated" and once somebody abuses the very good tools that they have they'll certainly rise in both popularity and potential tier placement.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
This is largely subjective, since it depends on which characters people think are good in the first place. So let's look at this... relatively logically.

I'd say the following characters are considered to be good to solid in general:
:4falcon::4diddy::4fox::4luigi::4ness::4pikachu::rosalina::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss:
It's possible some are overrated and also possible that some are currently underrated, at least in relation to the rest (Pikachu comes to mind).

From there every character has the potential to be a "sleeper" character IMO. Here are probably my top 10 choices:
:4bowserjr::4falco::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4megaman::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4miigun::4palutena::4wario2:
Some of them have recognized potential but it isn't widely known... yet.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Greninja had the potential to be A before his nerf. Now he's almost as good as a Falco or a Meta Knight.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I assume by 'sleeper' you mean characters that have the potential to be good/high tier but aren't showing it currently due to certain limitations or lack of representation in tournament scenes.

Wario, Palutena & Donkey Kong come to mind mostly. Wario has some great hitting power, excellent aerial manoeuvrability, useful recovery in his bike and a fairly terrifying kill move in Waft from around 50% or higher. I don't really see anything about him that's out and out terrible, and watching people like Abadango do some work with him at Apex gives me good vibes about his future developments. He just doesn't seem to get played much.

DK and Palutena are (or were, rather) held back by the lack of custom move support throughout the scene until recently. With custom moves being permitted for EVO I see these two becoming proverbial wrecking balls once people start getting to grips with them. With Superspeed, Lightweight and Explosive Flame Palutena is genuinely terrifying, and DK's Storm Punch and Kong Cyclone are nothing to sneeze at.

Just some videos for reference points:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
- Probably main bias, but I think :4pit: has the potential to be mid-high or high tier.
- People are sleeping on :4dedede:. Big time. I'd say he could make it to maybe mid-high tier.

- Mark my words people, :4falcon: will be considered A tier in due time.

- :4metaknight: also has potential that hasn't been fully realised yet. Low mid to mid tier.

- To an extent, I think people are sleeping on :4kirby:. I mean did you see Triple R?? Not sure about where he'll be in 2-3 years, but he'll definitely go up the tiers.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Well it depends what tier list you're looking at but generally...

Mii brawler is top tier, he my not be diddy but hes as close as anyone. Amazing character and the helicopter kick is godlike. I think people rate him lower just because they don't like miis, which is absurd.

Luigi is already usually ranked mid tier, but i'd put him in the second tier at worst.

If customs are legal, theres no doubt in my mind that palutena will jump so far up the ladder.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Where do the Links currently stand in the meta?

I remember during a month or two since SSB4's release Link was nearly unanimously praised, given his substantial buffs from the previous installment. Many even believe he now surpasses Toon Link, with the former's new attributes, and is a candidate for high tier. Some time later, all of sudden, there has not been much said about Link, and that Toon Link seemed to be viewed as the superior character again. It is as though Link just fell out of the competition. Was it all theorycraft this whole time that Link is very good, outside of jab cancel shenanigans? Or was he being held back solely due to fundamentals once again?

^-^

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This discussion I best for the competition ve character impressions thread. Please move it there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom