• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skyworld: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Another returning stage, Skyworld is sometimes confused with Skyloft, the touring Legend of Zelda stage. They're nothing alike.

Previously Covered
Flat Zone X
The Great Cave Offensive
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Yoshi's Island
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Skyworld's layout is very simple. It has a relatively small bottom platform with a slope on the left side and two smaller platforms overhead, the left one lower than the right one. Offstage to the right is a fourth platform connected to the first by a chain that moves around sometimes, but never very far or very fast. Below the stage a fifth, moving platform traverses across the screen in either direction, a process that takes about 12 seconds, with about 8 seconds in between successive moving platforms. Players standing on this platform can be carried offscreen to their death. All platforms are completely solid and cannot be jumped through, which also means that players can easily tech most hits.

Players 1 and 2 start on the left platform and the right side of the bottom platform. Players 3 and 4 start on the top platform and the right side of the bottom platform. The Omega form floats over a void.

Skyworld has no damaging hazards, but the platforms are all destructible except for the fifth moving one.

Skyworld. The moving platform is not pictured but the rest are all here. The right platform with red runes also moves, but never very much or very far since it's attached to the rest of the stage with a chain. All platforms are solid from both above and below.

Destroyed Skyworld
The platforms in Skyworld are made of stone segments that are completely solid. While they have grabbable ledges where appropriate, players cannot jump or fall through them. However, they can be destroyed and have about 40 HP each. When destroyed, the stone shatters and reveals the cloud below that supported it. The clouds all act as standard platforms and players can jump or fall through them at will. However, none of the clouds have grabbable ledges.

The bottom platform consists of 4 separate stone segments. The left and top platforms have 2 segments each, while the right platform has 1. Destroyed stone segments take about 15 seconds to respawn. The fifth, moving platform below the stage is not destructible.

Skyworld with the top platform destroyed. It's possible, if difficult, to destroy all platforms before any start respawning, especially if the other players cooperate. The moving platform below the stage is not destructible. The clouds left behind are functionally identical to standard platforms and lack grabbable ledges.

Summary
  • Moving platform below stage, can come from either direction.
  • Stone platforms are completely solid.
  • Stone platforms have 40 HP, can be destroyed.
  • Clouds left behind are standard platforms, lack grabbable ledges.
  • Stone regenerates after 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
4 thoughts:
1. "Skyworld has no damaging hazards, but every single platform is destructible." + "The moving platform below the stage is not destructible." = confused.
2. Can you still be hit so hard that you go through the clouds like in Brawl (Also, I forget what used to happen when you are grounded)?
3. The moving platform still can carry you off the side to die.
4. Slight slope on the left side of the bottom platform was omitted.

Great work, as always. Although, much less snarky than the last few you've done.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
4 thoughts:
1. "Skyworld has no damaging hazards, but every single platform is destructible." + "The moving platform below the stage is not destructible." = confused.
2. Can you still be hit so hard that you go through the clouds like in Brawl (Also, I forget what used to happen when you are grounded)?
3. The moving platform still can carry you off the side to die.
4. Slight slope on the left side of the bottom platform was omitted.

Great work, as always. Although, much less snarky than the last few you've done.
1. I mentally flip-flopped between considering the moving platform to be part of the set or not. I'll edit that to be clearer.
2. Didn't test this but for now I'd assume so. It worked on Magicant and those were solid from above for the most part.
3. True.
4. Also true.

And I was less snarky because there's really not a whole lot going on here to be snarky about. It's a bit dull and old hat.

@ AnchorTea AnchorTea No. You may be thinking of Skyloft?

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This stage is tourney legal right?
I have never seen a tournament with this stage legal. This stage is deeply flawed as it is mostly an execution test of teching powerful hits to survive to extreme percentages. Failure is generally punished very harshly as you can easily rocket super low from a missed tech here. Also, the destructible parts of Skyworld all refresh independently unlike Luigi's Mansion which only begins respawning any of the geography once all of it has been destroyed; that means that if you are the player who wants to stall things out, you can run away around the terrain as your opponent destroys some of it, and by the time your opponent finishes destroying the last of it, the earlier stuff is probably going to be back for you to use to your defensive advantage. Lastly, all of the ledges are destructible, and against characters with weaker recoveries, this can be polarizing (though it shouldn't be as bad as it was in Brawl since no one depends on tethers quite that much this time). I don't think the last point would really justify a ban by itself, but it just doesn't help when you consider the other very severe problems already present.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I have never seen a tournament with this stage legal. This stage is deeply flawed as it is mostly an execution test of teching powerful hits to survive to extreme percentages. Failure is generally punished very harshly as you can easily rocket super low from a missed tech here. Also, the destructible parts of Skyworld all refresh independently unlike Luigi's Mansion which only begins respawning any of the geography once all of it has been destroyed; that means that if you are the player who wants to stall things out, you can run away around the terrain as your opponent destroys some of it, and by the time your opponent finishes destroying the last of it, the earlier stuff is probably going to be back for you to use to your defensive advantage. Lastly, all of the ledges are destructible, and against characters with weaker recoveries, this can be polarizing (though it shouldn't be as bad as it was in Brawl since no one depends on tethers quite that much this time). I don't think the last point would really justify a ban by itself, but it just doesn't help when you consider the other very severe problems already present.
I saw a video where this stage was in a PM tourney.

I was wondering if it was tourney legal in Sm4sh, I guess not by your description.

Top Bottom