• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skyward Strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Disclaimer: I'm not a game developer; I'm just a guy with ideas.

Eh, I don't know if anyone has pitched this idea or not, but since Skyward Sword's launch and the announcement of SSB4, I had this idea that some of Link's move should have changed to incorporate the Skyward Strike. I know that only Skyward Sword Link was able to to this, but SSB's Link is a composite character like how SSB's Snake is a composite of Solid Snake and Big Boss.

Anyway, the Skyward Strike does 2 things: as a normal attack it creates a sword beam and as a Spin Attack it augments the range of it. Now, if done improperly, it could make Link OP since he could cover any distance.

Here's the Skyward Strike in case you've never seen it.

The change in moves I thought of would be Link's forward smash, up smash, and maybe his up special. Link's forward smash is a two-hit combo, but it could change to SS Link's vertical Spin Attack, horizontal Spin Attack, or a Skyward Strike maybe with jump slash movement. Heck, it could just stay the same, but the ending strike produces a Skyward Strike.

Link's up smash is a three-hit swipe. It could change to either of the Spin Attacks, but vertical makes sense since it's the up smash or it could follow Soul Calibur II Link's and Hyrule Warriors' Link Cyclone Attack which leads to another option for a change...

Link's up special is the horizontal Spin Attack which could be changed to a Cyclone Attack in the air which has greater recovery but less damage and consistent coverage and the regular Spin Attack on the ground. Or fully charging a Spin Attack could use Skyward Strike to increase its range - speaking of which, a fully charged Spin Attack on Toon Link could lead to the hilarious Hurricane Slash from Wind Waker.

Cyclone Attack.

To make it easier to see the ideas for changes:

Forward Smash:
a) Vertical or horizontal Spin Attack.
b) Skyward Strike in some form.
c) Stays the same.

Up Smash:
a) Vertical or horizontal Spin Attack.
b) Cyclone attack.
c) Stays the same.

Up Special:
a) "Situational" Spin Attack; Spin Attack on ground and Cyclone Attack in the air.
b) Fully-charged Spin Attack leads to augmented Spin Attack.
c) Stays the same.

Last edited:

Konyuna

Smash Rookie
The most probable of those would be the Up Special having the Strike effect as a more "violent" customizable version.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would love for this to happen so much, but Sakurai gave us the completely useless Gale Boomerang back. Because apperantly The Great Fairy Who Resides In The Gale Boomerang >>> Fi. Or some ****.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The most probable of those would be the Up Special having the Strike effect as a more "violent" customizable version.
Yeah, it's just ideas I had when SSB4 was announced. Once I saw the trailer, I knew it probably wouldn't happen even if the veterans were using their Brawl animations, models, and movesets as placeholders. The reason I thought of them aside from Skyward Sword was that Link (and everyone for that matter) has potential.

Like I mentioned that Toon Link could use the Hurricane Slash to differentiate him from regular Link along with Toon Link's stubby legs meaning he'll use his sword more than regular Link can. Toon Link is already mobile and light along with being pretty strong whereas regular Link was always sluggish compared to most characters including the really human/actually a clone in lore: Snake.

Cyclone Attack would have improved Link's recovery by having more lift as a contextual Up Special, but as an Up Smash it would of been a neat AOE attack.

Another thing is that someone mentioned Link should have a roll for a dash attack, but Snake got it since it was a Metal Gear thing to roll, cartwheel, or dive to stun people. Link's roll never really hurt anyone unless he had his Iron Boots in Twilight Princess and maybe another game I'm not aware of - this doesn't count Goron Link's roll -, but in Twilight Princess, Link's roll can be followed up by a sword thrust. It'd be a cool two-hit dash attack. Oh well.

I would love for this to happen so much, but Sakurai gave us the completely useless Gale Boomerang back. Because apperantly The Great Fairy Who Resides In The Gale Boomerang >>> Fi. Or some ****.
I'm going to assume that Twilight Princess Link is the iconic Link as of now. Let's say Wii U Zelda Link shows up and the next SSB is in development, but the only recent Zelda games are the Wii U and some new 3DS one, I doubt that Wii U Zelda Link will show up despite being a badass-looking nomad who'd fight using a bow, sword, shield, and other gear. Instead, we'd get TP Link since he's the most "realistic" Link compared to cel-shaded SS and Wii U Zelda Link. Who knows, though.

Another thing is that SS Link is the only one to use the Skyward Strike and have a strong relationship with Fi. The other Links just used the Master Sword and the sword beams seemed to be just magical in nature and not through the sword's power. Fi was also "sleeping", but could still subconsciously tell Link was wielding the Master Sword. I guess it would be like Wan and Raava versus the other Avatars. Wan met and spent his time with Raava while the other Avatars just lived and had her power. They never - the ones we know and were revealed - talked with her or summoned her in anyway. Korra did, but that was because she really needed to or else the world would end.

Oh, and SS Link had the full Triforce by the end of the game. He'd be too OP compared to SSB's Link who's UP. :p

Edit: Link could use different items in each new SSB while Toon Link stays with the old gear to be "classic" Link.

The other thing which I forgot to mention is that SSB4 feels like a "what Brawl should have been" which is why many characters are largely the same and others in need of changes e.g. Bowser received changes so they won't be underpowered. So, this might be the "fix Link" game and SSB5 is the "new Link" game. One can only hope.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I like Link's Forward Smash though... it just looks aggressive. If I'm not mistaken, the first slash seems to stun now so the second slash can actually hit opponents (similar to Toon Link's).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom