• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skill vs. Battle Record

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I've found myself with a dilemma. For one part, I want to become a great competitive player. Since none of my irl friends play smash at all, i know that i've got to rely on tourneys and playing a ton of wifi, especially against great players (since playing great players is how one becomes great). But whenever i run into someone that straight murders me, i find myself losing many games to them, which makes my battle record look worse.

So my question is: Should i continue to fight these great players that pop up on wifi even though they keep beating me? Or do i quit out after a fight and keep that battle record high by playing players i can beat numerous times?

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
who cares about battle record that sht gets inflated by bad players, just play to get better and the battle record will improve with you

Last edited:

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
You know I was in this same predicament earlier. I played a peach player who was clearly better than me, now being that I have only seen 2 peaches online before I decided to tank my rating and learn from him and I don't regret it a bit. I mean getting a high win record is cool and all but if your sacrificing becoming a better player for it...well I don't think it's worth it. Also save the replays after so you can learn from them even after the matches are done.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Why does your battle record mean so much? Only you can see it and it is hardly a good way to measure one's skill in the game.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Your record has absolutely no meaning. You can play the same guy 500 times and win every single time and have a record of 500 wins and 0 losses, but you won't get any better because of it. Don't let the idea of having a poor record hold you back from experimenting...

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
Just play the game to get better. IMO the battle record shouldn't even matter. I would think that focusing on the record so much would take the fun out of the game.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
In the long run, having a higher skill level will do more for your battle record than avoiding losses will.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
If you get bodied all the time it's like playing against one of the 8-year old Little Macs out there. I personally avoid people after they 2-stock me or prove they're miles ahead. They could teach you things if they were in the mood of doing so instead of beating your rear end.
There are people who can beat you time and time again while giving valuable experience if their level is approximate to yours. I'm not saying that you should leave every time you're beaten, only when you're "murdered".
So, if you think you're learning even in the slightest, keep on, otherwise I'd say it's best to part ways with those players.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Certainly, everyone is going to tell you that the record means nothing and you should just focus on getting better, but in reality most people do care and don't want to just lose a ton of games in a row.

Just focus on what makes the game fun for you, I guess.

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
If you get bodied all the time it's like playing against one of the 8-year old Little Macs out there. I personally avoid people after they 2-stock me or prove they're miles ahead. They could teach you things if they were in the mood of doing so instead of beating your rear end.
There are people who can beat you time and time again while giving valuable experience if their level is approximate to yours. I'm not saying that you should leave every time you're beaten, only when you're "murdered".
So, if you think you're learning even in the slightest, keep on, otherwise I'd say it's best to part ways with those players.
so if you keep beating somebody else should you swap to give them an easier time? I do that because i feel bad if i just keep winning even if it's ranked.

ChooChoo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4399-0342-2350
so if you keep beating somebody else should you swap to give them an easier time? I do that because i feel bad if i just keep winning even if it's ranked.
It depends. For me, if the other guy has even less idea than me seems lost I just leave. If we are sort of level I might give my others chars a shot. But I don't think giving the other "an easier time" is right. I play for my enjoyment, and seeing a Mac self-destruct is as boring to me as playing M2K would be. But being condescending is, to my eyes, lacking respect towards oneself.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
Certainly, everyone is going to tell you that the record means nothing and you should just focus on getting better, but in reality most people do care and don't want to just lose a ton of games in a row.

Just focus on what makes the game fun for you, I guess.
This. My battle record is awful... like 15% win percentage but I'm not worried about it. I think if you want to get super good then you will be doing other things than 1v1 Glory mode. But if you just want to have a good time and learn about the game then I wouldn't worry about the record.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Battle record don't mean anything. So what if people lost 1000 times? Maybe they learned alot during there losses and became a beast. I never underestimate people even crappy Side B Lil macs. Because the moment you laugh at your foe their motivation just skyrockets.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
the record is totally meaningless to me.
I do the same thing you do, when i face someone that stomps me i face them as long as i can. Typically i get ~10 games out of it before they leave, i MIGHT win 1 or 2 lol.
Flipside i end up facing against total idiots that pad my win record ... way too easily. People that try to edge-hog me with a diving move and kill themselves are getting more and more common.

Its so inaccurate since theres no meta-score to balance out the challenges, its pointless. Ratings in games that use a ranking system actually mean something since the odds of you facing someone severely out of your league (or the opposite) are much less likely. There is no ranking system far as i can tell. Not really sure if i want them to even try to add one either.

Top Bottom