• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singles Matches of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U from E3

Unbias

Banned via Warnings
NNID
GodOfAllThings
I think in one of these videos the commentator states that nintendo is indeed taking in feedback from the people in that event(The majority were experienced players so they'll be able to go in-depth when giving feedback). I hope ganondorf makes it back, even so i'm really pleased with how this game is running despite it being a demo.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I really like watching these 1 v 1 matches. It's what we see the most and give a perspective of what things will be like in the competitive scene. Loving the matches so far and can't wait to play the game myself.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
I really like Marth's throws being stronger now as a replacement for his fast combo game. I'll miss the combos but having an up-throw as a kill move is so useful!

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
At first i was super skeptical of everything, and got really negative/disheartened by some of the play...but the more I watch the 1v1 footage and hear new things, sm4sh is looking much better than i initially took it for. I think the only thing we REALLY need is a lot less knockup for some of these moves. From how it looks, most every single move has no discretion for knockback, or little discretion. Every move seems to have huge knockback and THAT is what will hurt the combo game. Everything else looks pretty good and i think the scare for campy styles might depend much more highly on the character picks.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
The gameplay speed does indees look faster than Brawl's! One thing, though, as many others have mentiones: Landing lag. But hey, we're still several months away from the realeses, so anything could happen. Hope they either shorten the landing lag, or bring back L-Canceling. In Super Smash Flash 2 (Smash fan game that's under development), they have like automatic L-Canceling. That's an option, too.

And Bowser will be my main in this game. No doubt.

And a question: What is this DI or something that people talk about? x) I'm not into all advanced teqniques :p I do know about about wavedash, wave dance, etc. though

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The gameplay speed does indees look faster than Brawl's! One thing, though, as many others have mentiones: Landing lag. But hey, we're still several months away from the realeses, so anything could happen. Hope they either shorten the landing lag, or bring back L-Canceling. In Super Smash Flash 2 (Smash fan game that's under development), they have like automatic L-Canceling. That's an option, too.

And Bowser will be my main in this game. No doubt.

And a question: What is this DI or something that people talk about? x) I'm not into all advanced teqniques :p I do know about about wavedash, wave dance, etc. though
I think lowering the landing lag would be a good idea, or adding some form of L-cancelling back into the game would be good, also with the development thing, I totally agree. There's still time.

DI stands for directional influence. When you are being hit by attacks and you push the joystick in a direction, you are DI-ing in that direction. DI is used to survive really strong hits that could normally kill you. What they keep mentioning is SDI, which is Smash Directional Influence. With that, you DI upwards. Apparently the SDI has been lowered a lot in this game making it hard to SDI out of combos which is one of the main ways some people get out of combos.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I'm curious if Shield Breaker is going to be a better option in Smash 4 with the shield damage buff, but I haven't seen anyone try it out. It could be that breaking shields will become a legitimate part of Marth's strategy, but I haven't seen exactly how much shield damage an uncharged or lightly charged Shield Breaker does. I'd also like to know if it still gives Marth a momentum boost for recovery.
It does give Marth Momentum boost for recovery, Ken used it at the tournament.

Nintendaholic

Smash Rookie
thank you so much for this. that pikachu vs greninja match was sick. bowser is also looking much better.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Why didn't this Bowser use Whirling Fortress like, at all? It's hard to gauge the character when people don't play him right, although the reduced lag on some of his aerials is encouraging.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I think lowering the landing lag would be a good idea, or adding some form of L-cancelling back into the game would be good, also with the development thing, I totally agree. There's still time.

DI stands for directional influence. When you are being hit by attacks and you push the joystick in a direction, you are DI-ing in that direction. DI is used to survive really strong hits that could normally kill you. What they keep mentioning is SDI, which is Smash Directional Influence. With that, you DI upwards. Apparently the SDI has been lowered a lot in this game making it hard to SDI out of combos which is one of the main ways some people get out of combos.
Ah, I see. Thanks so much! :)

MrGanon

Smash Rookie
Greninja 4 ubers Greninja looks good, so does zero suit samus. I hope falco will be good again, he's the brawl character I play with.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I've seen pretty much all SSB4 footage n I love it. I have noticed that some people bicker about the mechanics. This is just my opinion but a skilled player can adapt without a problem. Lol anyway I hope to see more villains!!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
These matches look much better than the Grand Finals. This game still looks unfinished and needs a few tweaks, but it also has a lot of potential. Based on what I've heard, Nintendo seems willing to listen to the competitive community, though Sakurai can be pretty stubborn at times. If he actually decides to take feedback from competitive players and makes the necessary fixes, we could have a real gem on our hands.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
The game seems to be fine to me, I don't see why this game can't be its own game like any other fighting game. I don't see the street fighter community wishing Street Fighter 4 to be similar or borrow traits from Street Fighter 3rd strike as much as the Smash community try to have Melee mechanics in this new installment. The divide between the Melee and Brawl fanatics is getting ridiculous. The brawl community was able to enjoy brawl for what the game was and not what it could of been or should have been. I enjoyed Melee for what it was and I enjoy brawl just as much. I love the series in general.

"Wait a minute, there's no wave dashing. I won't purchase this game"
"Are you serious? I can't L-cancel? Definitely a no buy for me"
"The characters are too floaty, nope not the game for me"
"Too much lag during aerials, this game is disappointing"

The nip picking is out of control, what happens if Nintendo doesn't accept any of the communities feedback? You won't play Smash 4? Regardless of how the community feel about the game mechanics, This entry is going to make millions anyway. This game caters to a wide audience of players, yes the competitive community is responsible for the longevity of each title in a competitive sense but the competitive community is only a fraction of what the total fanbase is.

If none of the tweaks are made to Smash 4, I am sure there is something good to find in this game. Give something new a chance instead of writing it off as a failure because it lacks something from the old titles, thats a step backwards if the main mission is to expand the community.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
So did anyone notice the ore club has the star rod's sound effects? This demo has gotta be a pretty damn early build if stuff like that is in it.

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508
I've seen pretty much all SSB4 footage n I love it. I have noticed that some people bicker about the mechanics. This is just my opinion but a skilled player can adapt without a problem. Lol anyway I hope to see more villains!!
NO JOHNS :p

In truth, I'm so excited for this game. Greninja's speed and dair looks awesome. Pikachu and Bowser look great to fight with. Zero Suit Samus and Villager look so fun to play as, and Rosaluma looks like she can make for some incredible combos when we learn how to play her.

Renji64

Smash Lord
The game seems to be fine to me, I don't see why this game can't be its own game like any other fighting game. I don't see the street fighter community wishing Street Fighter 4 to be similar or borrow traits from Street Fighter 3rd strike as much as the Smash community try to have Melee mechanics in this new installment. The divide between the Melee and Brawl fanatics is getting ridiculous. The brawl community was able to enjoy brawl for what the game was and not what it could of been or should have been. I enjoyed Melee for what it was and I enjoy brawl just as much. I love the series in general.

"Wait a minute, there's no wave dashing. I won't purchase this game"
"Are you serious? I can't L-cancel? Definitely a no buy for me"
"The characters are too floaty, nope not the game for me"
"Too much lag during aerials, this game is disappointing"

The nip picking is out of control, what happens if Nintendo doesn't accept any of the communities feedback? You won't play Smash 4? Regardless of how the community feel about the game mechanics, This entry is going to make millions anyway. This game caters to a wide audience of players, yes the competitive community is responsible for the longevity of each title in a competitive sense but the competitive community is only a fraction of what the total fanbase is.

If none of the tweaks are made to Smash 4, I am sure there is something good to find in this game. Give something new a chance instead of writing it off as a failure because it lacks something from the old titles, thats a step backwards if the main mission is to expand the community.
So play the game just because it is new and ignore the fact you are able to do less each new installment. It doesn't work that way people tried that before with brawl that didn't go anywhere i really hope nintendo takes the feedback seriously.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
So play the game just because it is new and ignore the fact you are able to do less each new installment. It doesn't work that way people tried that before with brawl that didn't go anywhere i really hope nintendo takes the feedback seriously.

But you keep forgetting that the competitive community is not the center point of this game success. This game is a success because everyone enjoy's the series from casuals, Hardcore Nintendo Fans, and then the competitive scene comes last. This game is going to become a success regardless if the competitive community supports it or not. Sakurai wanted to try to please the competitive scene just a little bit with this game, from a business standpoint Nintendo/Sakurai is not going to alienate the entire fanbase just to please the competitive scene which doesn't make up the entire Fanbase. Besides the competitive scene is as fickle as a girl who dumps a boy for another boy because he looks cute. The competitive scene is just hard to please and they know whatever they do someone in the scene is going to ***** and complain so that's why Sakurai continues to make the game the way he wants it to be. Yea Brawl wasn't a success in the "COMPETITIVE SCENE" but its still a success financially and received well by the Entire fanbase and thats all that matters to Nintendo.

Renji64

Smash Lord
But you keep forgetting that the competitive community is not the center point of this game success. This game is a success because everyone enjoy's the series from casuals, Hardcore Nintendo Fans, and then the competitive scene comes last. This game is going to become a success regardless if the competitive community supports it or not. Sakurai wanted to try to please the competitive scene just a little bit with this game, from a business standpoint Nintendo/Sakurai is not going to alienate the entire fanbase just to please the competitive scene which doesn't make up the entire Fanbase. Besides the competitive scene is as fickle as a girl who dumps a boy for another boy because he looks cute. The competitive scene is just hard to please and they know whatever they do someone in the scene is going to ***** and complain so that's why Sakurai continues to make the game the way he wants it to be. Yea Brawl wasn't a success in the "COMPETITIVE SCENE" but its still a success financially and received well by the Entire fanbase and thats all that matters to Nintendo.
I never said the competieve scene was the focus that is clear as day when he added tripping but the wiiu isn't that big of sucess as well they need all the good press and feedback atm it is possible to please the other side with some basic stuff. When you can do less in each in new installment you shouldn't play it just because it is new.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I never said the competieve scene was the focus that is clear as day when he added tripping but the wiiu isn't that big of sucess as well they need all the good press and feedback atm it is possible to please the other side with some basic stuff. When you can do less in each in new installment you shouldn't play it just because it is new.

Wii U sales just doubled because of Mario Kart and its bound to do the same with Bayonetta and Smash Brothers U. Nintendo games are known to have legs when it comes to sales, the game is going to make millions regardless is what I am saying. This game is going to get good press anyway, I never play a new smash because its new. I play smash because I enjoy the game and what it offers for both 4 players and 1 vs 1. It's always been the game I can have fun with my friends and play for hours with Items turned off.

I enjoyed the N64, Melee, and even Brawl. This franchise has never let me down yet as far as being a fun game and that's what matters. If you aren't talking about the competitive aspects then why mention "When you can do less in each in new installment" because if I can recall, only the competitive would recognize the things you couldn't do in the last installment and those were things that the average player wouldn't notice or care about. Those mechanics or advance tech or whatever you want to call it won't hurt the majority of the fanbase. I never said the focus was the competitive, you misread what I said. I was saying sakurai is trying to at least please the competitive in some aspect of Smash 4 by having For Glory mode, and Final Destination versions of certain stages and I am sure he will probably have other things there for the competitive but he is not going to throw all his eggs in one basket with the competitive scene which only makes up a fraction of the fanbase.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Wii U sales just doubled because of Mario Kart and its bound to do the same with Bayonetta and Smash Brothers U. Nintendo games are known to have legs when it comes to sales, the game is going to make millions regardless is what I am saying. This game is going to get good press anyway, I never play a new smash because its new. I play smash because I enjoy the game and what it offers for both 4 players and 1 vs 1. It's always been the game I can have fun with my friends and play for hours with Items turned off.

I enjoyed the N64, Melee, and even Brawl. This franchise has never let me down yet as far as being a fun game and that's what matters. If you aren't talking about the competitive aspects then why mention "When you can do less in each in new installment" because if I can recall, only the competitive would recognize the things you couldn't do in the last installment and those were things that the average player wouldn't notice or care about. Those mechanics or advance tech or whatever you want to call it won't hurt the majority of the fanbase. I never said the focus was the competitive, you misread what I said. I was saying sakurai is trying to at least please the competitive in some aspect of Smash 4 by having For Glory mode, and Final Destination versions of certain stages and I am sure he will probably have other things there for the competitive but he is not going to throw all his eggs in one basket with the competitive scene which only makes up a fraction of the fanbase.
Thing is though, the competitive scene is growing quite rapidly. We're already large enough to influence what Nintendo does. And with the Nintendo reps taking notes from us, we even already have a part in the games' development.

Top Bottom