• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Single Ice Climber?

Patpen14

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else ever kill off Nana on purpose for a bigger challenge? Cause I must say, beating someone as solo Popo is pretty satisfying.

Patpen14

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying playing a lone Popo is anywhere near as good as the team, it's just satisfying to know your good enough with the ice climbers to kill someone with just one.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yes i once was fighting fox and he keep killing nana in the first 20 sceonds of every life in a 63 stook match and i won with 19 lifes left

Cia

das kwl
i actually kill nana on purpose when fighting against jigglypuff (and sometimes on fox)

but Dthrow + Usmash / Uair (after like 30%) ***** puff

PB&J

Smash Hero
its never good to kill nana on purpose.but u should get used to playing sopo against top pros and it will get u better...but also try protect nana and not nana protect you and u will **** people

Smash Master
SoPo is better than Roy, Zelda, Mewtwo, Pichu, Kirby, Ness, and Bowser.

Smash Master
lol, Mewtwo isn't good against anybody.

SoPo can still CG more people than Sheik with D-throw.

SoPo has a d-smash that comes out in seven frames. Peach's takes five.

Vts

Smash Champion
you have good data but play someone who mains those characters and you find out a lot more.

my friend Iori mains mewtwo and make sure if your just 1 ice climber he will show you why u need nana.

Finch

Smash Lord
SoPo can beat falco, ganon, CF, jiggs, etc. Just because he's bad against zelda doesn't mean he's a bad character.

Finch

Smash Lord
If ganon ***** sopo then it would be an impossible matchup because ganon probably has the easiest time killing off nana of anyone in the game. I'm probably wrong about jiggs but I stand by everything else.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It is impossible if not for the ICs chaingrab on him. We're just lucky that there aren't many Ganons out their anymore.

Finch

Smash Lord
It's really not that bad. Maybe the ganons I play are just bad against ICs, but I've been trying to learn the matchup and last time I played colbol's ganon I took him to one stock. Basically wavejabs **** because if you land it you either get a free grab or dsmash, and if he jumps you have plenty of time to shield and run away. If they start ccing it just grab them.

Also nana can be a huge problem when edgeguarding ganon and CF

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If ganon ***** sopo then it would be an impossible matchup because ganon probably has the easiest time killing off nana of anyone in the game. I'm probably wrong about jiggs but I stand by everything else.
Come on people we all know Fox and Peach kill Nana the fastest what is this "Ganon is fastest" crap.

And wavejabbing sucks against Ganon the Ganons you play don't know how to fight IC.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Being on the ground vs Ganon in general is bad if you're on the offensive I think, his ability to **** your offensive ground stuff by jumping backwards with a Fair (or Bair) is stupidly good.

And then his jab outranges yours and comes out faster so if you try to jab him you can be jabbed out of it really easy.

If anyone disputes this frame data NOW rather than later

Hammer Swing

Total: 29
Hit: 4-7
Window of the backswing: 3-29
IASA: 16
Backswing starts: 14 (or later)

Thunder Punch

Total: 21
Hit: 3-5
IASA: 19

Taken from SDM's site, he tends to name the jabs.

In conjunction with Fair and Bair attacking you and retreating against you, jab covers Ganon when he lands and the mix is really hard to get inside it they're not brainless about it. Jab --> grab/d-smash isn't a combo if they can CC into rolls or jumps or even jab, and that's very doable with practice.

And then approaching with grab is just stupidly hard because grab is even slower than IC's jab (frame 7) and has even less range and more lag.

It's notable that with Nana it's much more possible to do some of this stuff. Ground approach is more doable when you can cover yourself with desynched blizzard or something to pressure, or have an iceblock drifting around to convince them to shield. There are more approach variations and ways of setting up a cover when you go after him so there's more to do. It's still ill-advised to attack from the ground mainly. And it's even worse without her.

Without Nana there are no covers when you approach Ganon on the ground. There's no reason for him to go in the air prematurely because of an iceblock (which gives you a chance to change your WD --> jab to WD u-tilt underneath him or sh uair whatever), there's no reason for him to block (so you can change your plan to grab instead of jab), etc. He can really just afford to just wait until you do something.

Against Ganon with SoPo you really have to make use of your aerials and stick to him. If you give him space you will just use his superior range and **** you for free. WD and DD around and get really close to him and Bair him or Uair him (if he full jumps). Even Nair if you really have to. When he jumps back to Fair that's your chance to WD really fast and get him, when he jumps forward with Fair that's your chance to WD really fast and get him. You have to outspace his aerials and make use of your fast, disjointed Bair. Its hitbox sucks, yeah, but it's really one of the only weapons that really works against him.

You can't be afraid of his aerials, basically, with SoPo. You're not going to win on the ground without Nana, you have to aggressively challenge his aerials and outspace them so your hammer beats him or you hit him before his hitbox comes out.

On that note, U-tilt is also good against Ganon if you can get under his Fair or Bair with the hitbox out before his is out.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Peach doesn't kill Nana quickly at all. She separates her, and nothing else. As long as you keep Peach from edgeguarding Nana, Nana shouldn't die so early. Fox is by far the fastest Nana-killer, followed by CF and Sheik, who can both combo into f-air at any percentage.

SoPo is decent against CF. Don't jump into n-air, shield d-airs, don't get grabbed... yeah. U-air, u-tilt, jab, d-smash, b-air, and b-throw techchase all work well. Falcon is one of my best match-ups, and though people argue that he is a counter, I think you can go head-to-head with him, even as SoPo.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
single climber and giga bwser need to be now the tier list they would make pichu look better and i wish i could kill off nana before i kill my brother to death but once i 3 stocked him with popo thank you mindgames ,skill ,down smash ,popo power ,and sill over powered single climber (just kidding)

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am bumping this thread instead of making a new one, I am worried I will get an infraction if I make a new one that is unnecessary. I wish to ask with the new tier list out where do you guys think solo popo would be on the tier list? (Low tier obviously, but exactly where on the tier list?)

Binx

Smash Master
I am bumping this thread instead of making a new one, I am worried I will get an infraction if I make a new one that is unnecessary. I wish to ask with the new tier list out where do you guys think solo popo would be on the tier list? (Low tier obviously, but exactly where on the tier list?)
IMO you should be infracted for this question anyways as sopo is not in this game a selectable character lol @ myself, and its impossible to tell without that being the case. Good players beat worse players regardless of character, Sopo has to work really hard to set up kills because his recovery is so bad as far as going offstage without Nana.

So yeah low tier, exactly where no one knows, the whole low tier is pretty much a guess as it is because so many characters are underplayed.

Also in my opinion the high end tier list is getting more and more wrong as time goes by as the number of good sheiks peaches and puffs are going up and the number of top placing fox and falco's are going down, and marth is practically non existent in the high end tourney scene from what I have noticed lately. Rise of the floaties, who knew?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I wasn't addressing you I was addressing whoever asked about his spot on the tier list.

He's not a character.

The game doesn't address him as one and without deliberately killing Nana you can't access him.

You might as well ask where "Zelda/Sheik" is on the tier list.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I wish to know because I am doing for a project a "Hacked tier list" merged with the current one. So I do wish to know for the reason of my project.

Binx

Smash Master
I wasn't addressing you I was addressing whoever asked about his spot on the tier list.

He's not a character.

The game doesn't address him as one and without deliberately killing Nana you can't access him.

I know who you were addressing but either way it helped me catch my mistake, you and I were agreeing on the exact same point.

I wish to know because I am doing for a project a "Hacked tier list" merged with the current one. So I do wish to know for the reason of my project.
There is no way to know, there is NO tournament data, there is little accuracy in the low tier list as it is. You will never know, our tier list isn't even good anymore, puff would be top tier right now since she has won every major tournament in forever now.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace

He's not a character.

Brawl does the Zelda/Sheik thing. Just saying that it sets a precedent. Of course, you can also deliberately kill Nana, but you can also play as if Nana doesn't exist.

Top Bottom