• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sing Your Name!!!

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Sing Your Name

A Jigglypuff Guide by Psymon

GO TO ILLINIALEX'S GUIDE INSTEAD, IT'S BETTER

I've decided to make a guide for Jigglypuff for a few different reasons.
I haven't come across one yet that has really helped me or others who've seen it.
I've recently been maining Jigglypuff and just wanted to contribute to the few others who actually play as Jiggs often.
Please don't flame.
This guide is only here to give people some extra advice and tips on playing as Jiggs, not to act as the main Jiggs guide on these forums (unless nobody else posts one).

____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\___

~Index~

* Why Play As Jigglypuff?
* Pros & Cons
* Moveset
* Style
* Tactics
* Advanced Techniques

____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\____/\___

Why Play As Jigglypuff?

Jigglypuff is awesome. End of. Maybe you used to like Pokemon when you were younger or just have a disturbing soft-spot for round, pink creatures other than Kirby. Whatever a person's excuse for choosing to play Jiggs is, more often than not, it will be one based on the aesthetic value a Brawler sees when looking at Jigglypuff. She's a cute character. This alone can be good for newbie-mindgames AND excuses. On Melee, I always got the sarcastic excuse "Well to be fair, you're a gun-wielding fox that moves about 5,000 miles an hour". I'd prefer for an opponent's excuse for losing as, "Well you're a....pink....THING with a flower in your poor-excuse-of-a-quiff."

As far as mindgames go.....it's a Pokemon.....nobody new to the game is going to expect anything more than a back-rub from you. Advanced players will (or at least should) be aware of Jiggly's potential but even subconsciously.....IT'S A POKEMON! It's suprising how many times others will play an aggressive and offensive game against you simply because you're playing as one of the weakest looking characters.

Pros & Cons

Pros

- Multiple Mid-Air Jumps
- Incredible Aerial Game
- The Rest
- Wide Range Of Physical Attacks
- Trajectory Play (able to determine where you want the opponent to go)
- Extremely Unique Specials
- WOP
- Decent Start-Up Time For Most Moves
- Little Lag After Most moves
- Looks Very Feminine (for the light-hearted fun-lovers, always good to rub in when victorious)

Cons

- 3 Of The Specials Can Sometimes Lead to Suicide
- Slow Smashes
- One Of The Lightest Characters
- Speed Is Below Average
- Looks Very Feminine (if you want a 'cool' character, Jiggs doesn't have a costume with shades)
- No Projectiles
- No Disjointed Hitboxes
- Can Often Feel Repetative Playing With Her
- Rest Is Suicide If Missed

Moveset

Standards

Jab #1 (A)
Damage: 3%
Knockback: Next to none until high percentages
Notes: Jigglypuff's joint-fastest move (along with Jab #2)

Jab #2 (A after A)
Knockback: Next to none until high percentages
Notes: Jigglypuff's joint-fastest move (along with Jab #1)

F-tilt (>/< then A)
Damage: 10%
Knockback: Poor under 40%, fairly decent after 40%
Notes: Can tilt the attack up and down

D-tilt ('down' then A)
Knockback: Good, not much lag time so it's hard to punish
Notes: VERY GOOD MOVE with deceptive range. Good edgeguard tool against characters with poor recovery such as Mario and Link (use and then Hug the edge when they're off the stage)

U-tilt
Damage: 9%
Kockback: Mininal at low percentages
Notes: If the opponent is facing you, it can hit in front of you, not if they're facing away though. Either way, it hits behind you and is a good 'combo' starter from 0%

Dash Attack/"Headbutt" (A while running)
Damage: 12%
Knockback: Very good
Notes: If an opponent doesn't DI too well, you can sometimes get between 2 and 4 headbutts in if you use it, chase them and use it again before they can react. This works on most characters at around 40% as it knocks an opponent over after the knockback.

Smashes

Side Smash (>/< + A)
Damage: uncharged - 16%
charged - 22%
Knockback: Extremely good, Jigglypuff's best killing move
Note: Very predictable, quite a slow smash. Best to use as an edgeguard occasionally or if an opponent is predictable in where they'll roll/tech

Up Smash
Damage: uncharged - 13%
sweet-spotted - 15%
charged - 18%
sweet-spotted - 21%
Knockback: Decent, vertical, can kill at high percentages
Notes: See 'DACUS' in 'Advanced Techniques' section

Down Smash
Damage: uncharged - 12%
charged - 16%
Knockback: AWESOME!!! Very good horizontal knockback at low percentages, sends opponents downwards as well as horizontal if they get hit off the stage
Notes: My favourite Jiggs move. Long start-up time but looks so **** class! Can be used to edgeguard effectively. Pure Awesomeness.

Specials

Rollout (B)
Damage: 12 - 18% (18 fully charged)
Knockback: Very good after about 50%
Notes: Good killing move but very predictable. Can sweetspot the edge with it when recovering (though be careful not to hit an opponent or waddle dee before the stage or you'll hit them and spin to your death). Also, watch out that you don't try to sweetspot the edge and get edge-hogged, you'll bounce off and die. Can change directions 3 times with a fully charged spin. Tapping the B button will cause the move to activate but it won't effect or damage an opponent, it just looks dumb. OPTIONAL TAUNT?!

Pound (B + >/<)
Damage: 11%
Knockback: Very good, sends opponents upwards, good for starting aerial game
Notes: USE THIS TO HELP RECOVER. You can tilt it up or down slightly as well as just travelling sideways. The hitbox stays out for a deceptive amount of time.

Sing (^ + B)
Damage: N/A
Knockback: N/A
Notes: Sends opponent to sleep for a certain amount of time. The higher their percentage, the longer they'll sleep for. They can wake up quicker by mashing buttons rapidly. Risky move to use, should be confident before using it. Using it in the air is your best bet, getting rid of some of the moves lag by landing next to an opponent near the end of the move. DO NOT use it off the stage, you'll almost always fall to your death.

Rest ('down' + B)
Damage: 15% (+ 2-3% for every second the flower stays on the opponent's head)
Knockback: Incredible verticle knockback, kills almost all opponents around 70% on most stages
Notes: VERY RISKY MOVE, causes you to fall asleep for about 4 seconds. Only use if you're almost positive it will kill your opponent if successful. You need the center of Jigglypuff's body (or a majority of it) to cover the opponent's body just as you activate it. NEVER USE OFF THE STAGE UNLESS YOU HAVE A STOCK ADVANTAGE AND ARE THE COCKIEST BRAWLER EVER.

Aerials

Neutral-air (A in mid-air)
Damage: 10% if hit with start-up attack, 6% if hit with end of attack
Knockback: Not too good, very minimal knockback from end of attack
Notes: Jigglypuff's "sex kick", stays out for a suprising amount of time

F-air (A + >/< in mid-air, depending on direction)
Knockback: Very good, best aerial killing move
Notes: Very fast move, good to start a WOP (see 'Advanced Techniques' section)

B-air (A + >/< in mid-air, depending on direction)
Damage: 12%
Knockback: Reasonable, not as good as F-air though
Notes: Very good way of getting up an opponents damage as it comes out quick and can sometimes be unexpected. 'Moonwalk' into these often. Good for WOP (see 'Advanced Techniques' section)

D-air (A + 'down' in mid-air)
Damage: 16% (8 hits)
Knockback: None until hight percentages (stun only)
Notes: Short hop into these, using them straight away to negate any landing lag you would usually recieve, very good move

U-air (A + ^ in mid-air)
Damage: 9%
Knockback: Not that much but this helps its 'combo' ability
Notes: Short start-up time, good to catch an opponent by suprise when recovering

Throws

Grab Attack (Z then A/Z)
Knockback: N/A
Notes: Average speed, good way of getting more damage on an opponent with reasonable percentage so they won't be able to escape as quickly

F-throw (Z then >/< depending on direction)
Damage: 10% (2 hits)
Knockback: Decent
Notes: Very good to use if by an edge.....let the WOP begin.....

B-throw (Z then >/< depending on direction)
Knockback: Okay, good if by an edge to start an edgeguard
Notes: Not much....could chase an opponent after throwing them.....it's a one hit throw.....that's it really

D-throw (Z then 'down')
Damage: 10% (2 hits)
Knockback: Slight diagonal trajectory in front of you
Notes: Good move to start an aerial game at low percentages

U-throw (Z then ^)
Knockback: Fairly decent vertical distance
Notes: Good to use on opponents with bad aerial game, chase if wanted of use it as a way to get some distance between you and an opponent

Style

Tactics

Advanced Techniques

(more to come obviously, will try to add as soon as possible)

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff needs all the help she can get.

Nice introduction for a guide, keep up with it now.

eongilth

Smash Apprentice
I pray to mary-jane that this thread may be the savior of the jigg boards.

I hope I'm not asking her for too much...

Chaco

Never Logs In
I pray to mary-jane that this thread may be the savior of the jigg boards.

I hope I'm not asking her for too much...
Uhh....this won't completely do it.

Updated video archive.
Keep with the match up thread maybe?
Organized.
Kill the Spam.
Test thread.

etc.

eongilth

Smash Apprentice
Uhh....this won't completely do it.

Updated video archive.
Keep with the match up thread maybe?
Organized.
Kill the Spam.
Test thread.

etc.
Do you realize what big of a project that will be?

I alone made 4 thread-pages worth of spam on my first two days back. I'm willing to bet 8 out of the 11 board-pages on here are spam.

... I'm in. I'll help the best I can.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Do you realize what big of a project that will be?

I alone made 4 thread-pages worth of spam on my first two days back. I'm willing to bet 8 out of the 11 board-pages on here are spam.

... I'm in. I'll help the best I can.
You can start by calling me "O savior of the Jiggs Boards"

I've already started.

LordMars

Smash Rookie
I would add to cons that shieldbreak -> death
Like fighting Marth can be aweful when he uses shieldbreak and you shield...I know you shouldn't, but appears to happen

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Illi, good point....CLOSE THREAD.

Gimpy, F-smashes are fun right.....?

Top Bottom