• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sing to Grab ledge backwards.

Ral

Smash Rookie
Hey y'all. I've recently been getting into the competitive Smash scene after playing casually for so long, and I gotta say it's really damn awesome. Matches are hype as hell and (attempting)playing something I've enjoyed for so long at the next level is a pretty cool experience. I haven't been to a tournament yet, but maybe someday.

So as you're all aware, in Melee you can't grab a ledge if you are facing it backwards. However, with Jigglypuff you can use sing and it'll grab the ledge no matter the direction you're facing. However, I've never seen this used in any of the matches I've watched. I'm sure it's not all that unknown, since it just takes a few simple tests. Is it just not the right matches? Did I just miss it when it was there? Are there problems with this strategy that I haven't noticed?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It is most of the time not necessary to use it. Puff has like 6 jumps, best airspeed in the game and usually prefers to recover above the stage instead to the ledge. This technique also carries the risk of getting edgehogged and singing yourself to death in the most embarrassing way.
With all the jumps we have we can simply use those to turn us around.

Ral

Smash Rookie
It is most of the time not necessary to use it. Puff has like 6 jumps, best airspeed in the game and usually prefers to recover above the stage instead to the ledge. This technique also carries the risk of getting edgehogged and singing yourself to death in the most embarrassing way.
With all the jumps we have we can simply use those to turn us around.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Glad to have been helpful.

Next time if you have questions like this I think the more appropriate place to post them is in the Bair is underpowered thread. This is where most of the talk is happening and this way the board won't be filled with small threads like these.

Ral

Smash Rookie
Glad to have been helpful.

Next time if you have questions like this I think the more appropriate place to post them is in the Bair is underpowered thread. This is where most of the talk is happening and this way the board won't be filled with small threads like these.
Ah, whoops. Sorry, I didn't really think about that. Off I go, then.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I actually use this a decent amount. It does risk the edgehog, so you definitely have to know when to do it, but in certain circumstances it can be very useful. In addition to letting you grab the ledge when you're facing the other way, this also lets you grab the ledge from a lot farther away so you don't have to poke your head over the ledge and risk giving them an easy edgeguard opportunity. Anyways, definitely don't spam it, but it's certainly not useless. S0ft uses it from time to time.

Celerity668

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'd say when you're starting it's easy to get hooked on it since it's pretty weird tech, but it's not a safe option.

Once you play a lot you'll figure out which jumps will make her grab ledge instantly and other times where singing > jumping again.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all. I've recently been getting into the competitive Smash scene after playing casually for so long, and I gotta say it's really damn awesome. Matches are hype as hell and (attempting)playing something I've enjoyed for so long at the next level is a pretty cool experience. I haven't been to a tournament yet, but maybe someday.

So as you're all aware, in Melee you can't grab a ledge if you are facing it backwards. However, with Jigglypuff you can use sing and it'll grab the ledge no matter the direction you're facing. However, I've never seen this used in any of the matches I've watched. I'm sure it's not all that unknown, since it just takes a few simple tests. Is it just not the right matches? Did I just miss it when it was there? Are there problems with this strategy that I haven't noticed?

Thanks for your help in advance!
My friends and I actually love to use this simply for styling and stuff, like an extra taunt or whatever. It's led to the joke in our group that "The year is 30XX...everyone recovers with Sing." I'm so thrilled other people use this too lmao now there might be a chance our prediction will be correct xD

S0FT

Smash Ace
Yeah. It is pretty hard to do consistently. The best use would be when a fox is firefoxing above the ledge. Usually when you are facing the ledge from the stage the opponent tries to sweet spot the ledge, so you can use her sing similarly to yoshi's run off and instant-grab. You can also do a quick neutral b instead of the sing and it will have the same effect. The risk/reward isn't really worth it though.

Massive

Smash Champion
I use this constantly. Seriously, all the time, on almost every recovery.

It makes it harder to ledgepoke puff because you will grab way before the normal ledgegrab time. Without this puff doesn't grab the ledge when recovering low until her body is about halfway over the edge.

You will also NEVER get battlefielded/pokemon stadium'd if you sing ledgegrab.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman

It makes it harder to ledgepoke puff because you will grab way before the normal ledgegrab time. Without this puff doesn't grab the ledge when recovering low until her body is about halfway over the edge.

So it begins...

The year is 30XX...

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
I mean, technically it began in 2009 when I started doing this all the time.
Well I mean, yeah, but people have played Fox since 2001. The joke is that "the year is 20XX, EVERYONE plays Fox" or "the year is 30XX, EVERYONE recovers with sing".

Wasn't clear enough in the original thingy, my bad :039:

Last edited:

Crossie

Smash Apprentice

This guy gets it. My brother whines that I use it too much because he watched me lose a tournament game by trying to steal the ledge with sing and SD. Definitely super useful for recoveries, though. And I won the set anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom