• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Since Tier Lists are not-accurate. Lets fit the cast in the following playstyles

My name is Space

Smash Rookie
1. Offensive: Characters that are very aggresive and go in to attack(Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, Diddy Kong)
2. Projectile-Based Defensive: Exactly what the group name says(Villager, Palutena, Bowser Jr. Samus)
3. Technique: Characters that have something special about them(Wario, Jigglypuff, Cloud, Marth)
4. All-Around: Characters that have a little bit of everything and can handle most situations (Mario,Bowser,Lucina, GameWatch)

5. Normal Characters: Just people that have Nothing Special( Donkey Kong, ROB, Falco)
6. Spacer: self-explanatory

So I'll be breaking this into 5 Parts: Here is the first group of Characters: DLC:

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Cloud
Corrin
Bayonetta

Here's an example:
Offensive: Roy, Ryu
Defensive: Mewtwo, Lucas
Technique: Cloud
All-Around: Corrin, Bayonetta
Normal: NONE

Last edited:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
cause its less opinion based...
lt's not just opinion, it's also based on representation and toolkits. l could say Ganon has what it takes to be top tier, with his ability to cover everything, a command=grab, and lethal edgeguarding, but his frame-data and lack of approach methods really restrict him and leave him open against projectile-camping, playing footsies, and rush-down, all of which are basically the main ideaologies of ass-kicking in the fighting game genre. EDIT: Plus, no one uses him at a very high level, so l wouldn't be able to show how "good" he is with proof, limiting my ability to say anything at all.

It basically depends on the person making the tier list and how much time have they given the game beforehand. M2K making a list on Melee is going to be way more accurate than my hypothetical 8 year-old brother doing the same.

Or with anyone doing one on Pokken. lt's had, what? A week?

Side note, l'd call ZSS more Technique, as she has a sub-par neutral, compared to the other top-tiers and she focuses more on those specific percents and strategies to deal out her combos (RIP in patches, 30% kill confirm, l never got to show anyone l knew how to DI...). Then, some of the more gimmicky characters would be called Tricky, for their, well, tricky, unusual tools, like Palu.

l don't think you can simply discredit tiers, but placing characters on their archetype isn't a horrible idea.

Last edited:

My name is Space

Smash Rookie
lt's not just opinion, it's also based on representation and toolkits. l could say Ganon has what it takes to be top tier, with his ability to cover everything, a command=grab, and lethal edgeguarding, but his frame-data and lack of approach methods really restrict him and leave him open against projectile-camping, playing footsies, and rush-down, all of which are basically the main ideaologies of ***-kicking in the fighting game genre. EDIT: Plus, no one uses him at a very high level, so l wouldn't be able to show how "good" he is with proof, limiting my ability to say anything at all.

It basically depends on the person making the tier list and how much time have they given the game beforehand. M2K making a list on Melee is going to be way more accurate than my hypothetical 8 year-old brother doing the same.

Or with anyone doing one on Pokken. lt's had, what? A week?

Side note, l'd call ZSS more Technique, as she has a sub-par neutral, compared to the other top-tiers and she focuses more on those specific percents and strategies to deal out her combos (RIP in patches, 30% kill confirm, l never got to show anyone l knew how to DI...). Then, some of the more gimmicky characters would be called Tricky, for their, well, tricky, unusual tools, like Palu.

l don't think you can simply discredit tiers, but placing characters on their archetype isn't a horrible idea.
Where would you put the 7 DLC Characters
"Since Tier lists are not accurate"

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Where would you put the 7 DLC Characters
(Will embold more important attribute if there is one.)

Bayo would certainly be a technique character, relying heavily on a very good combo and juggle game for damage, the arguably broken 0%-death for forcing the opponent to kiss the ceiling blast zone and then some, and using Witch Time to completely slaughter the opponent when they least expect it. Incredibly punish game. Technique/Tricky

Ryu also relies heavily on combos, but favors Shoryu set-ups and Focus Attack punishes more than the bull**** combo l mentioned that we have yet to learn how to DI. Does fairly well in footsies and can harass from afar a smidge with Hadoukens. Can do devastating damage on a punish as well. Technique/All-Round

Cloud enjoys spacing out or pressuring with nairs and juggling with upairs and dtilt. Can bait with Limit Charge come. Incredible speed for his power and a very nice Extended Dash-dance. Weak recovery but an incredible presence on-stage. LBCS and FT will be scary punishes, but not things you can set-up into easily. However, the threat of the Limit Break specials usually forces an opponent to act, which you can capitalize off of if you know how they act when scared. Much more of a Spacing character than anything else. Spacing (prefers playing neutral and usually walls people out with frustrating hitboxes, usually characters that try not to camp, but you can still call it that) Spacing/Pressure

Corrin also does plenty of spacing, but can see more action in the juggling and combo categories. A slow, but mostly basic Spacing character, but can use DFS and DL to cover multiple options at once, being in a nice spot in Zoning as well. Spacing/Zoning (being able to use your hitboxes to cover and punish options with a small amount of commitment.)

Mewtwo, again, sees plenty of spacing, combos, and option coverage, especially with nair, which covers a wide area, links into itself and his other aerials, and can be used semi-safely on shield and can cover every ledge option, except maybe roll, but can use his different specials all for their own purposes to see how opponents react, which you can then punish. Very light, though, so too much commitment is never good. Powerful attacks and combos means a punish from a good Mewtwo hits hard. Spacing/Zoning/Pressure

Roy and Lucas both see have less powerful options of spacing, but don't have bad combo-power or kill power, especially if you hit with the right smash.... Lucas will see a bit more Zoning and Roy a bit more Spacing, but they both want to apply a bit of both to Pressure your opponent and get the right read in, as the don't really have confirms, from my knowledge.

ln hindsight, this listing thing doesn't work to well without acknowledging a primary trait, since plenty of characters apply a bit of everything. ln fact, a general rule for a character is that: The more they're forced to play one game and only one game, the weaker they are to a character that beats their game. Meaning worse match-up spreads, meaning a worse character overall.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
2. Projectile-Based Defensive: Exactly what the group name says(Villager, Palutena, Bowser Jr. Samus)
Only Villager is a projectile character out of this group
Also don't really see how this does the same thing as a tier list as the title suggests

Last edited:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Only Villager is a projectile character out of this group
Also don't really see how this does the same thing as a tier list as the title suggests
Although Palu is defensive, he didn't get that part wrong... Just not spammy defensive like Villy is. Even then, some people think aggro Villy's the way to play.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Tier lists are not 100% accurate, yes, you're right. People must remember people once thought Melee's Jigglypuff was Low Tier, once. I see some people especially believe our "current" Smash 4 tier list is extremely innacurate, but even then, I don't see how trying to organize them like you want would be any more accurate.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
cause its less opinion based...
Discussion discarded. Try avoiding event hubs tier lists before coming to that conclusion.

Also your categories are opinion based tbh smh fam

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I genuinely fail to see how this replaces the purpose of tier lists.

Tier lists are opinions of the current cast in the metagame backed by theorycraft and tournament play/results.

This is a vague description of what characters can do, and has no bearing to how well they actually do it in the grand scheme of things. It's far too narrow to actually be insightful or useful.

Also, this list is pretty inaccurate anyways, but whatever

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Is the Tipper that unique that it makes Marth a techinque type Character over Lucina

As a Marth main I disagree both are about spacing (even though its hard as balls to challenge space with Marth) and both are similiar to Cloud

My name is Space

Smash Rookie
I genuinely fail to see how this replaces the purpose of tier lists.

Tier lists are opinions of the current cast in the metagame backed by theorycraft and tournament play/results.

This is a vague description of what characters can do, and has no bearing to how well they actually do it in the grand scheme of things. It's far too narrow to actually be insightful or useful.

Also, this list is pretty inaccurate anyways, but whatever
lol ok. It doesn't replace tier lists it just splits the characters in one of the 6 Categories Above

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
"Since Tier lists are not accurate"

Explain? Why would fitting them into playstyles be more accurate than a tier list?
Tier lists are nothing more than glorified popularity contests. "Oh, nobody plays you? You're bottom tier."

Last edited:

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Tier lists are nothing more than glorified popularity contests. "Oh, nobody plays you? You're bottom tier."
You might want to learn a bit about how tier lists are put together.

Setting aside the issue of whether tier lists are accurate, this sort of categorization couldn't replace them. It might exist alongside a tier list, but it serves a different purpose.

Top Bottom