• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Since MLG has Halo3 broadcasted..

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Will they have Brawl as well? It would only make sense seeing as our community is now larger then halo3.

I was watching MLG Halo3 on sportsnet so thats why I'm asking.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
It will be broadcast only if MLG picks it up as a title for their 2008 season. They haven't announced any games for that other than Halo 3, so nobody can be sure yet. However, if they do have it at their events, it would be VERY likely they would have a live stream specifically for smash during the course of the events(free if you have an account there). As for whether or not it would make it on the tv show, nobody can be sure until it happens.

As a side note, technically more people play Halo 3 then Smash (especially in the competitive sense). MLG's user count was somewhere beyond 250,000 before they acquired gamebattles and merged their user database, but smashboards current total only sits at 89,303. Even because of the slight difference in user #, you should be almost certain they will pick Brawl up for their '08 season. If it wasn't enough of a sign that they have a gamebattles ladder for it already, the fact their last few SSBM tournies had a large (and increasing) number of players entering shows that there is a desire for players to attend MLG events specifically for smash.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Smash never had the same amount of popularity as Halo in MLG, but Smash has gained some ground since then. That being said, I believe EVO will pick up smash again this year. At least, I would hope so...

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I remember reading in a thread similar to this that the real reason MLG dropped Smash isn't because of lack of popularity, but because of sponsorship issues. So I'd imagine that as long as the same sponsors are backing MLG, Smash won't be picked up again.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
It had a lot more to do with the number of participants compared to the payout players were getting, actually. It's more likely that there would've been less sponsors for Smash than Halo(possibly hurting it), but not as likely a sponsor would have enough pull to get a game removed from their circuit entirely.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I hate to break it to you, but Halo's community is more than double the size of ours lol *was part of Halo in 2005*

However, I do find that it would be pretty cool if MLG could include Smash again. Especially if it was broadcast the way Halo is. However, I don't think the televised community would appreciate Smash as much as Halo, because Halo just seems to be the type of game that more people could relate to.

S2

Smash Lord
I hate to break it to you, but Halo's community is more than double the size of ours lol *was part of Halo in 2005*

However, I do find that it would be pretty cool if MLG could include Smash again. Especially if it was broadcast the way Halo is. However, I don't think the televised community would appreciate Smash as much as Halo, because Halo just seems to be the type of game that more people could relate to.
Yeah you hit it on the head, Halo 2 and now 3 simply have a larger number of players.

But to be honest, the online component of Halo 2 helped a lot in getting that locked on audience. While Halo 1 was popular, Halo 2 exploded in popularity.

I'm surprised that Smash was downplayed all in the last year. Its still popular.

That and the fact that the prize money and advertisement for Halo is so much higher, its harder to attract new players to get good when the prize money for Smash was only a fraction of Halo's. Yes, the hardcore Smash community chooses this series because we love it, but the more people who compete the better the prizes and the more press we'll recieve.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I kinda of doubt that MLG will have brawl this year. Maybe next year, but we need time to find all of the tricks and strats and such. I personally hope they don't have it this year, so that the communbity can find these things.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Yeah, if you think about, SSBM really didn't hit the competitive scene until 2004 or so. That's 3 years after its release.

So we should give the community at least a year to probe a game and hopefully find out enough about it to have it be competitively played.

Top Bottom