• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simultaneous world wide release?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Living in Australia it was an absolute tease of travesterial proportions for this game to be released 6 months earlier in Japan.

Worst of all, there was no surprises in the game (i.e. unlockables) because whether you wanted to know or not, it's near impossible to avoid finding everything out for a whole 6 months.

Do you guys think a simultaneous world wide release is on the cards this time? Or will once again the west get second priority?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
With Pokémon X/Y getting a worldwide simultaneous release, it's reasonable to assume that Smash 4 would get a similar treatment.

It is a boon to PAL regions especially.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The model is changing. With Pokemon as an example, I predict a simultaneous worldwide release. The West is more important now than ever to Nintendo, and they're going to recognize that. Besides, PAL regions got ridiculously shafted last time, I don't think they'll do that to them again.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
With Kid Icarus Uprising having very close worldwide releases despite having much more stuff to translate than the previous smash bros games, I have high hopes that we get a much closer release this time around. At least I hope so... Waiting for Brawl wasn't fun. :/

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with Kiwi, KIU having close release dates raises my hopes. A huge title like this would benefit from a worldwide release.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This will never happen because of logistics. The game is already sitting in Japan since developed there so why not sell it? It takes time to ship it overseas and translate plus impliment local culture into the game. Therefore, the Japanese version will always come first since it is already made and ready to go out into markets. It does not make any sense for a business to hold out selling units just to please overseas fanbases on spoilers. If they can make money now, they are going to sell it.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This will never happen because of logistics. The game is already sitting in Japan since developed there so why not sell it? It takes time to ship it overseas and translate plus impliment local culture into the game. Therefore, the Japanese version will always come first since it is already made and ready to go out into markets. It does not make any sense for a business to hold out selling units just to please overseas fanbases on spoilers. If they can make money now, they are going to sell it.
What? The game isn't made yet.
Also: Pokémon X/Y.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The Japanese copy, like Brawl and Melee, will be completed before the American/European/Australian copies. They will design and make it in Japan and then ship it overseas for the local team to translate and develop the game to fit the new market. Why would Nintendo sit on copies made in Japan to wait until the game is shipped to Australia, translated into English, and developed to fit local Australian culture. It won't happen. They are going to release the Japanese copy first and release the other copies once they are ready.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Japanese copy, like Brawl and Melee, will be completed before the American/European/Australian copies. They will design and make it in Japan and then ship it overseas for the local team to translate and develop the game to fit the new market. Why would Nintendo sit on copies made in Japan to wait until the game is shipped to Australia, translated into English, and developed to fit local Australian culture. It won't happen. They are going to release the Japanese copy first and release the other copies once they are ready.
Your posts reek of so much ignorance it makes you look bad.

By that logic, they wouldn't be releasing Pokémon X/Y worldwide and Kid Icarus: Uprising would have taken months to release outside of Japan because of the extensive localization work the game required.

Who's to say that the various branches of Nintendo aren't collaborating to localize the game in many languages while the game is being developed?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
And anyway, for example Nintendo is obviously sitting strategically on Wii Fit U. The game is already finished, but it's not out.
And Frostwraith is right, they're probably translating it while they're developing it.
Maybe it's not going to be a worldwide release, but not a 6-month wait either like Brawl was.

D

Deleted member

I'm really hoping for a worldwide simultaneous release. Hated waiting to get my hand on Brawl... I was dying with anticipation.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If it is a logistical impossibility then how do you explain other games made in Japan getting simultaneous releases?

There's no reason why they can't translate it during production and be ready at the same time or be released a few days/weeks later.
At least have less of a waiting time than 6 months!!!

Anything less than a month, I'll be okay with. Can probably hold out looking at spoilers and threaten my friends with horrible death if they spoil anything if it's only a few weeks.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The systems are even different. Sometimes the translations and changes are so great between different national versions that they are almost different games. You can see major sites with the difference in translations.

In the cases were there was world wide releases, Nintendo likely lost money or planned it out. I don't see it though because for most games, the Japanese release has been first.

I also appreciate the insults guys, very classy.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't want to sound mean or demeaning but it is likely that none of you have had a major Corporate job or Finance job. Time is money. If you can make profit now, a Company will likely do it. Nintendo may have done fan service on past titles. Kid Icarus wasn't a big title like Smash, I am sorry. Pokemon is a big release so Nintendo likely could have co-developed with their regions or they simply neglected the money they could make at the time to provide a fan service.

However, with Nintendo having $100 million dollar losses, I imagine they will not want to let Japanese versions sit on the shelf to wait on the European/American versions to be developed. Also Smash takes a great deal of translation because you also have English voice acting, dynamics, etc. Smash relies on humor and as you know, jokes in Japan and America differ greatly so you have to translate that as well to fit the American jingo (or European jingo, etc.). It isn't a simple process to just develop them at the same time.

The sixth month delay for Brawl was likely for this reason. Nintendo right now needs to make
$$$ and I feel that they will want to get Smash out as soon as it is available to sell not just the game but the Wii U units.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Time is money.
Time is money.
That's precisely the reason why Smash 4 should be worldwide release. The earlier they roll out the game, the more money they make.

Also Smash takes a great deal of translation because you also have English voice acting, dynamics, etc.
How much time do you think will it take to record all the announcer's voices? A week at most.

Smash relies on humor
Wut?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The systems are even different. Sometimes the translations and changes are so great between different national versions that they are almost different games. You can see major sites with the difference in translations.
Sometimes =/= always. Smash Bros. is a game that has few to no differences between versions. In fact, what you're saying mostly applies to older games.

Another point is that, if they changed the game, there could occur discrepancies between versions which isn't very ideal for a game that is supposed to have online multiplayer modes.

Between each version, Brawl only had two differences: translated text and, in non-Japanese versions, the EarthBound and FE3 Masterpieces were removed.

In the cases were there was world wide releases, Nintendo likely lost money or planned it out. I don't see it though because for most games, the Japanese release has been first.
Source on where did you find the information that Nintendo lost money on worldwide releases, please?

I also appreciate the insults guys, very classy.
Calling you ignorant is insulting? No, it only points your lack of knowledge.

I don't want to sound mean or demeaning but it is likely that none of you have had a major Corporate job or Finance job.
What, have you? If that's the case, then wow, you must be way better than all of us combined. >_>

Time is money. If you can make profit now, a Company will likely do it. Nintendo may have done fan service on past titles. Kid Icarus wasn't a big title like Smash, I am sorry. Pokemon is a big release so Nintendo likely could have co-developed with their regions or they simply neglected the money they could make at the time to provide a fan service.
You say that a world wide release would be bad, then you list reasons on why Nintendo should exactly do a world wide release for Smash.

Kid Icarus: Uprising wasn't a big title like Smash, yet look at the release dates:
JP March 22, 2012
NA March 23, 2012
EU March 23, 2012
AUS March 29, 2012

The game was finished in February 2012, by the way. Also, do note that the game had heavy use of voice acting and had a lot of text and dialogue to localize, implying that the American, European and Australian branches of Nintendo were doing the game's localization while Sakurai developed the game.

Have I mentioned that the game was heavily promoted, having 3 anime shorts by three renowned anime studios, with the characters being voiced by high profile voice actors in both game and anime shorts?

You say this is not a big title, yet it is a title that had heavy marketing, is considered a killer app for the 3DS and marked the rebirth of a franchise that hadn't got a game in more than 20 years.

Sorry to say, but you don't know what you're talking about.

However, with Nintendo having $100 million dollar losses, I imagine they will not want to let Japanese versions sit on the shelf to wait on the European/American versions to be developed. Also Smash takes a great deal of translation because you also have English voice acting, dynamics, etc. Smash relies on humor and as you know, jokes in Japan and America differ greatly so you have to translate that as well to fit the American jingo (or European jingo, etc.). It isn't a simple process to just develop them at the same time.
Implying Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Australia can't localize the game while it's being developed.

You say that Smash relies on humor and jokes as justification that Smash can't have a world wide release, completely ignoring the fact that Kid Icarus: Uprising had tons of humor to be localized and had a near world wide release around March 2012 with the game being finished in February 2012.

Also, games never release at the same time they're finished since they have to produce enough copies of the stores.

Once again, you have no idea of what you're talking about. Do some research.

The sixth month delay for Brawl was likely for this reason. Nintendo right now needs to make
$$$ and I feel that they will want to get Smash out as soon as it is available to sell not just the game but the Wii U units.
The delays for Brawl were because of the character in your avatar. :sonic:

Sakurai himself stated that Sonic was added late in the development process of the game, meaning he required more time to program a character from scratch and abort some of his ideas to give place to Sonic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Releasing smash worldwide will have a higher chance of impatient people not importing the game from other regions just so they can play the game earlier. And seeing how Nintendo loves to region lock their consoles (even the 3DS) they apparently don't like people importing their games. So all the more reason for them to release the games simultaneously (or close to) worldwide I say. :/

Except if it's for money reasons. Some regions sell games more expensively than others so yeah...

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't at all understand Volbounds reasoning that it will make them less money to have a simultaneous release.

Unless theres something important I'm failing to consider, I'd assume it would sell much better in the west if there's a simultaneous release.
The build up and excitement to the release and reveals of characters/new gameplay would be lost over a few months. People wouldn't but it out of hype or curiosity as much.

On the flip side, how much can it cost to allow a team to be working on the small amount of translation and adaption that is needed while the game is still in production?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Volbound.

Where are you getting this logic? It doesn't make sense.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I agree everyones pants blowing off around the world at the same time is better then half now half later. A.K.A I agree with Swampasaur & T.Ganon guy.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am getting my logic based on how every other Corporations behave with regard to trade. Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc. do not let cars sit on the line so that they can have a world-wide release at the same time.

If I was wrong, then why are most games not released at the same time. Basically it is a fan service and who knows, maybe Nintendo will be more about the fanservices.

The comment I did not understand on here is how it will hurt sales in North America by releasing it in Japan earlier unless you are assuming that copies will be pirated. Whether you are buying a Japanese or NA copy, you are still buying the game.

You guys could be right, perhaps there is a fanservice and they will release at the same time. So far this HASN'T happen with any of the Smash titles to date. You can ignore my comments and call me ignorant and that is fine, I was just giving you my input about why a company releases a product in the development and home nation over other nations first.

You also have not calculated the difficulting of dealing with international IP law, etc. I suppose they could co-develop depending on how their manufacturing and development is set up. Nintendo doesn't have an actual Manufacturing center in Australia, only a DC so Australia will have a very hard time getting a same-day release unless they hold back copies in Japan and USA to wait for shipment.

Marketing it may make sense. From a supply chain management, logistical, and manufacturing argument, it doesn't make sense at all. Then again my experience is with larger products and not CDs, Video games, etc. which are a lot simpler to manufacture and ship.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am getting my logic based on how every other Corporations behave with regard to trade. Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc. do not let cars sit on the line so that they can have a world-wide release at the same time.
Eh, that's like comparing apples to oranges, don't you think?

While it's true that worldwide simultaneous releases are a recent phenomenon, remember that the world has never been as interconnected as now.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Read my last comment, I did state that there maybe a difference. Still I do point out that Australia at the very least is likely to not get a similar date.

Sorry, I took the unpopular opinion here. This thread asked do you think there was a simultaneous release and I gave my opinion that it is rare and there are reasons why it is rare. I can understand why everyone wants a World Wide Release and it very well could happen, I am just pointing out the risks and reasons that it may not happen.

Another danger about a World Wide Release is being able to match the supply with the demand. If it is not done correctly, you could have another "Tickle Me Elmo" type incident. The Wii has already went through that for two Christmas seasons.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Iwata became CEO of Nintendo of America, while Reggie remains the president of the NoA. Iwata remains the head of the global Nintendo as well.

The reasoning behind this is in fact part of a globalization of the company and presumably also aims for closer release dates and overall more coherency between each of the various branches of Nintendo across the world.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would love to see a simultaneous world wide release then everyone would be busy trying to unlock everything on their own and nothing would be revealed before other people have the opportunity to find out for themselves.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Living in Australia it was an absolute tease of travesterial proportions for this game to be released 6 months earlier in Japan.

Worst of all, there was no surprises in the game (i.e. unlockables) because whether you wanted to know or not, it's near impossible to avoid finding everything out for a whole 6 months.

Do you guys think a simultaneous world wide release is on the cards this time? Or will once again the west get second priority?
It's possible, that was a big thing with Pokemon X & Y

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Metal Gear Solid 4 can come out worldwide at the same time everywhere, every game should do the same. There's no way either new smash game will have 1/10th as much text or talking, especially given how everyone in Brawl was basically just grunting noises. MGS4 I think made more money because it was "fresh" at the same time everywhere, which made it sell as well as it sold, despite being on the PS3 (which at the time was struggling).

Seriously, you don't need to hire language-specific voice actors for Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Wario, Peach, Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon/Young Link, Sheik, Kirby, King Dedede, every Pokémon in smash thus far (minus like 2 lines of dialogue for the Pokémon Trainer himself, Mewtwo, and Lucario), Ness, Lucas, the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Roy, ROB, and probably the two hands as well, with Tabuu and Giga Bowser included as well.

What's the big deal with taking time=??? That's over half of the cast, and quite frankly, I think a simultaneous or near-simultaneous release would help sales, even just a little bit. Besides, it's not like it's any more expensive to have the game ship or the game have 5 specific lines of dialogue recorded for like 2-5 languages. It's 2013 guys, not 2001. Heck, in 2001, MGS2 came out in the Americas before Japan (PAL still got screwed though). :ohwell:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want it to be released earlier in Europe. Cause American butthurt towards this is always amusing to watch. :awesome:

Stimultaneous release would be the best yeah.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I want it to be released earlier in Europe. Cause American butthurt towards this is always amusing to watch. :awesome:

Stimultaneous release would be the best yeah.
That would be pretty much pointless, because PAL has to cover Spanish and English, which are the only 2 languages covered by the NTAC version last I checked (although sometimes Portuguese is included).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
German, Spanish, English, Portugese and French are the languages usually used for European games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
While nowadays Portuguese is more common in PAL Nintendo games, it's only been like thay since 2009 when Nintendo opened its Portuguese branch.

The PAL games always had English, French, German, Italian and Spanish, but only recently have some games started to be localized in Dutch, Portuguese and Russian in addition to the aforementioned 5.

I remember watching the KIU anime shorts with Portuguese subtitles, though the game itself had no Dutch, Portuguese or Russian language options.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dutch? Only since the 3DS I think. Other than that, there really hasn't been any Dutch in many videogames. Only game I can remember if Lufia for SNES lol

(It's funny how we're both arguing about our own languages btw)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dutch? Only since the 3DS I think. Other than that, there really hasn't been any Dutch in many videogames. Only game I can remember if Lufia for SNES lol

(It's funny how we're both arguing about our own languages btw)
:laugh:

Portuguese has been since only the 3DS as well. The Wii U also has that option.

But I do have the idea that Dutch has been featured in some games before... but Portuguese and Russian are certainly the latest additions to the language options.

When Nintendo of Portugal opened in 2009, we were still in the Wii+DS generation and adding that language option to systems that were already in more than half of their lifetime would be a waste of resources that could be focused on the new generation, in my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I swear I've seen Portugese games since some GameCube or Wii games.

Top Bottom