• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Rain team.

AfroThunderRule

Smash Journeyman

Frog (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Rain inducer and primary revenge killer. 240 Spd EV let Frog sit at 354 Speed out speeding to threats like the genies/Lati@s/Garchomp/the horse(?) trio/Excadrill and deal sufficient damage to each one of those Pokemon. Hypnosis is to shut down threats that might be problematic for my team like Rotom or Ferro. EVs, the 252 SAtk EVs and Modest nature is to hit as hard as possible, while I explained what the 240 Spd EVs were for, the rest into HP for some survivability.

Fish (Swampert) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Fish is pretty amazing, no one expects (Well from what I've seen) CBPert, most expect a more defensive Swampert, it how I end up getting things like Reuniclus/Conkeldurr/Skarmory switching on me expecting to set hazards/power up with ease and then getting 2HKO'd on the progress. Fish also can *sometimes* 2HKO Ferrothorn, another pest for this team. I'm currently debating if I should use Superpower over Stone Edge, help Smogon? Fish is also my main Ttar/Thundurus counter, and as you can see he is also my SR user. 252 HP Evs are for survivability, while the 252 Atk EV/Adamant are to hit as hard as possible and the rest I put to speed to outrun other Swampert.

Horse (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Wall breaker, dealing with opposing TTar/Ferro/Jelli/Gliscor/Rotom that love to annoy this team, Horse can switch into all of those aforementioned Pokemon and threaten to set up a Calm Mind or hurt a predicted switch-in or the aforementioned Pokemon. Gives this team a much needed Water/Electric resist and my primary Rotom-W counter, Horse is also the team go to sweeper. After a couple of Calm Minds Horse is ready to sweep teams and recover its health with Giga Drain. The standard 252/252/6 to go as fast/hit as hard as possible with Timid to outrun certain important threats like Garchomp. Though I feel like I can optimize this guy EVs, any help with Horse's EV spread guys?

Toilet (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 232 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Toilet, the Washing machine. I love the new change GameFreak gave this little guy, most teams can't handle switching into this guy under the rain with the combination of Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt unless they have a Grass/Dragon Pokemon in those cases most Dragon/Grass Pokemon get crippled by Thunder Wave like Latios/Virizion who could do some damage if they mange to out predict me. There isn't much to say about Toilet, his good typing allows Toilet to switch in number of threats and start raking havoc. Pain Split also is a form of recover that Toilet appreciate with his low base HP. EVs: 152 Spd EVs let Toilet sit at 246 Speed enough to outspeed those threats dedicated to outrun TTar, while the 124 HP EVs is for some bulk, and 232 SAtk and Modest to hit as hard as possible.

Wishing Well (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Wishing Well is so cute. <3 OMFG how can anyone hurt it?! Erm.. I shamelessly stole Wishing Well from Mr. Kevin Garrett anyways Wishing Well is my main Special Defensive Pokemon, countering Latios, most Dragonites, Garchomp locked into Outrage. You must be wondering why Body Slam instead of Thunder if I'm using a rain team? Well that's it, most expect Thunder instead of Body Slam in this situation which has netted me a couple of switch-ins from Garchomp/Gliscor/Exadrill(sp?) and other grounds expecting a free Sword Dance or something and got paralyzed on the progress. <3 Wishing Well is also responsible keeping Frog and the others healthy, though that doesn't always work out. Protect is amazing, it allows me to check what other Choice users will do and lock them at that move, gives me 6% of recovery. The EVs are pretty simple, the 40 Spd EVs also nets Wishing Well that 246 bench mark, the rest into SDef/HP to take Special attacks even better.

Bat (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

Last but not least on this team it's Bat. Pretty much my main Physically defensive Pokemon, help counter most TTar/Garchomp/Haxorus(sp?)/Exadrill/Scizor/Terrakion heck most in the top ten. Taunt lets it set up on Ferro/Skarm and start raising hell with Sword Dance and with Taunt it also prevents them some setting up some Spikes/SR that threaten this team with wear and tear. With Toxic Orb I won't have to worry too much about status or recovery on Bat and it allows let Bat to switch on Will-o-Wisp/Sleep Powder/etc and start Sword Dancing. The EVs, one again, are very simple. 80 Spd EVs allow him to sit on that 246 that I happen to love so much, while the rest of the EVs are into maximizing my Physical defense.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
honostly, team looks solid, no glaring weaknesses

the only thing i could suggest is you could put thunder on rotom-W for more damage but that's just being nit-picky

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I know there isn't much reason for Politoed to run Timid other than to outspeed 125s and below, but considering that a base 115 could sweep through your weakened team (I'm mainly thinking Starmie and Serperior, who could sweep if one or two key targets are out of the way for each, though rarer threats like Alakazam/Azelf/Raikou/Jolteon will cause problems too).

CBPert wants Avalanche over Stone Edge. Considering his STAB coverage is great and that a neutral stab hit in the rain has 180 BP vs. SE Stone Edge's 200 BP, I think having a reliable way to hit bulky dragons would help out more. (Think SwiftNite, who will otherwise be giant pain in the *** to deal with by removing Jirachi's ability to paraflinch most things)

I tried a similar Rotom set to yours (hit 245 speed, max spatk, remainder in HP), and its bulk is kind of disappointing if you don't actually make it a defensive pokemon. I'd honestly just run 252/252 timid on it so it can get the jump on opponents without requiring paralysis. LO could be a good item choice while utilizing Pain Split, with the more offensive nature of the set.

If you really wanted to try for a bit of extra bulk on Virizion, you could go 52 Def/252 SpAtk/204 Spe which outspeeds Garchomp, but most times the extra bit of bulk won't make much of a difference, so I'd stick to your current spread so you can tie other legendaries.

I don't see why you would have Gliscor AND Virizion to deal with Sand teams. Either of them by themselves should be sufficient, and you could benefit by running something that can synergize better defensively with the rain. Considering a lot of what you have deals decently with excadrill/Landorus/ttar (looking at Swampert and Virizion), running scarfChomp over gliscor will let you keep the scary stuff in check while giving a bit of extra insurance vs. sandstorm.

Top Bottom