• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Silent Banana Grab

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
I haven't mastered this, though I've pulled it off a few times and it made an amazing difference. You can grab bananas off the ground with an air-dodge. I'm not talking about off a platform while moving through it. If you time an air-dodge just right, just before you land on a banana, you can grab it, and in an instant, be just standing there, holding it, and ready for action!

You can even do this to catch a banana your enemy is trying to use against you! Just be careful, if you don't get the timing just right, you will still slip on it. ;)

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I know this, been using it for quite some time, although its a good find!

What also is good, that comes from this trick, is picking up a banana while teching :)

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
All of his Aerial A moves will grab bananas. His B moves will not though, so don't try to catch them with Side-B (you can't grab them from his Side-B Dropkick either).

Btw, you can also grab bananas by landing from a NAir. This actually appears to be easier to time, and you can smack a nearby opponent in the process. His NAir has pretty much no landing lag whatsoever anyway, so this is a good strategy. You still have to time it right though.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
All of his Aerial A moves will grab bananas. His B moves will not though, so don't try to catch them with Side-B (you can't grab them from his Side-B Dropkick either).

Btw, you can also grab bananas by landing from a NAir. This actually appears to be easier to time, and you can smack a nearby opponent in the process. His NAir has pretty much no landing lag whatsoever anyway, so this is a good strategy. You still have to time it right though.
where have you been doctor T? I havnt seen you post in a while. I'd assumed you gave up the ways of the monkey

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, nah. I've been training quietly in the wilderness in solitude for the last month or so. ;)

So I haven't been to Smash Boards in a while.

J4pu

Smash Champion
This has been around since Melee. Thanks though, I guess...
i believe in melee you had to use the grab button to catch things while in the air, or if im wrong, it made it like 1242198172498741 times easier
but yea the other day i was trying to air dodge an item that was thrown at me and i ended up catching it, was like wth, cool.
good find

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Since Dair auto cancels on startup I use that occasionally as well. But airdodge and Nair are the best ways using this method.

intOx

Smash Cadet
i believe in melee you had to use the grab button to catch things while in the air, or if im wrong, it made it like 1242198172498741 times easier
but yea the other day i was trying to air dodge an item that was thrown at me and i ended up catching it, was like wth, cool.
good find
plus diddy wasnt even in melee -_-

Shears

Smash Master
anyone can do this to pick up diddys bananas. i second diddy, might start making him my main over metaknight, and i dont use the bananas that often. any skilled player can just airdodge to pick up a banana just as easily as you can. they can also just dash attack or do an aerial and pick up the banana and use it against you. its good to use every match because you can make sick banana combos and get like a free 40% damage. but dont use it frequently, they can be easily picked up and used against you. i might use one banana a match and i would never have two bananas out at once.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Yep, you must maintain control of the bananas if they are to be effective. That, and if you use them in any same way over and over your opponent will sooner or later figure it out, and start trying to use them against you. If you are to be good with Diddy, you must be good with Mind Games, and be creative. :)

Top Bottom