• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SideB 3 Wind-up Raptor Boost Glitch: Is it useful?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Captain Falcon's Wind-up Raptor Boost custom move has a previously documented but somewhat unexplored momentum glitch. None of the threads I have seen mentioning it thus far have really talked in-depth as to the potential or lack thereof for competitive use, so I would like to discuss it here. For ease of communication I will call the glitch 'Turbo Boosting'.

How to perform: After getting hit my any attack that puts you in tumble (when you are spinning), using your Wind Up Raptor Boost at or near the apex (top) of your arc will cause you to Turbo Boost. It's worth noting that percentage and knockback do not affect the distance the Turbo Boost travels.

Comparison to Default Raptor Boost
  • Raptor boost deals 9% damage and kills a Mario with no DI on FD at 119%
  • Windup deals 7% damage and kills a Mario with no DI on FD at 133%
  • Windup has approx. double the startup lag that RB does
  • Ground and Air Windup has approx. half the endlag that RB does.
  • Both Raptor boost and Windup travel the same distance
  • Windup travels approx. twice as fast as Raptor boost during the lunge
  • Raptor boost travels approx. twice as far as normal Windup in the air
  • Turbo Boosting travels approx. twice as far as Raptor Boost
  • When Turbo Boosting, Falcon will slide along the ground if he lands while he still has momentum
What do I gain from using Windup?
Another recovery option that is much quicker and more difficult to punish. The hitbox remains so anyone in the way will get hit, which also gives falcon a little boost and can spike. Grounded windup also still has some KO potential at high percents, killing 14% later than the standard.

What do I lose from using Windup?
A powerful roll punisher. With double the startup on an already slow move, it seems unlikely that windup can be used as an effective punish tool at tournament level, especially since it kills later than standard RB. Additionally you more or less lose the ability to recover using sideB outside of the brief window of time that you are able to Turbo Boost, because Falcon will move backwards before charging, which is extremely telegraphed and thus punishable (and the horizontal distance just flat out sucks).

Personally I almost never use the default Raptor Boost (it always gets shielded, even when reading rolls), so the idea of giving my sideB a use appeals to me. However, I'm very curious to see whether or not I'm the only one who thinks this.

Some questions I'd like to address to the community as a whole are:

Is the tradeoff of KO power for a recovery option worth it?

Is this too situational, or do you think it can be used effectively at high levels of play?

How often do you use the standard Raptor Boost in general?

Is Turbo Boosting a good name for this glitch?

Last edited:

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
I really haven't played much around with this, but just after reading this, I think I'd stick with the normal raptor boost.
Pros I see of windup boost:
-The way falcon draws back really far can be used to punish/bait mid range moves like marth's sword
-If they don't know how it operates, then they will have no idea how the super distance activates, and at best will know you can only do it out of hitstun/tumble, resulting in ways to vary your recovery, which is an improvement to vanilla falcon's rather predictable recovery
Cons I see:
-If they know how it works, it would not be hard to cover the options, actually (imo) worsening his recovery predictability
-It's very slow, and generally not a very good offensive option (as mentioned)

Now back up to the point of if they know how it works, I thought up of a small scenario which would really turn me away from using this custom:
Marth tipper fairs falcon offstage
if Marth lands on stage after the fair, knowing that falcon can only super boost at a certain point, he can start charging usmash to cover that option, therefore falcon is forced to drift back toward the ledge, where he is presented 2 more options, unboosted side b to the ledge, or drift below and up b to the ledge. As mentioned, side b takes even longer to wind up, and therefore much more time to react to, marth will have already released the usmash knowing you cant fly to the other side, and run off stage to fair you again (or if he really wants to, try for fsmash), the wind up makes it obvious you are going to side b to the edge, whereas the default side b is not as clear because it is faster. up b is the same as normal so I don't really need to talk about that option. So in essence, you have removed the option to side b to the ledge safer, while getting essentially nothing, which is why I think it can potentially make your recovery options worse instead of providing an extra. This, of course, is all hypothetical, I could be wrong as to the angles and other variables, but the general gist of it should make sense.

So, for your questions:
1. If the opponent does not know how it functions well, I think the trade off is worth it, falcon has plenty of kill options. If the opponent knows how it functions, it limits your options in both recovery and killing
2. I think it is a bad option, and especially at high level; they should know how it operates, and if they don't, they will know after.
3. I use it as a mixup generally, run past side b back, walking slowly then side b suddenly, or even just standing there and side b. My friends aren't the best at the game :/
4. I think turbo boosting is a good name; if it is a glitch or not, I suppose it's debateable.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I've played around with it and tried it out in different setups; not really a fan. I'd just stick with default boost to be honest. The only real Falcon set that I see as worth running is lightning kick and defaults for everything else, with the exception that Falcon Punch can be whatever because you're probably not gonna use that in tournament anyways. The dash one can take people by surprise sometimes, but not really.

Top Bottom