• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-B

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so from what Olimar videos I've seen Side-B seems to be one of, if not the most used move. This makes me wonder about my own playstyle, as I rarely use side-B, usually just for Whites and Purples.

So here's my question; when is it appropriate to use Pikmin latch? Should I just spam it in the direction of my opponent and hope it connects (and who cares if the Pikmin die, right?), or should I go for precision (albeit with less Pikmin thrown). When is it more effectively used, defensively or offensively? Is it really that great of a move or is it overrated? How do you use it personally?

Other than that, I suppose this thread could probably get hi-jacked into being solely about the move itself rather than my question(s), and I'd be okay with that so long as my question(s) gets answered.

Awex

Smash Lord
It's good to spam it to create openings, not necessarily to rack up damage.

It may look like some Olimars are just mindlessly throwing pikmin out, and some of them are. But smarter Olimar players are completely in control and are trying to bait the opponent, not camp them.

Use it like that most of the time, but precision with it is important too and shouldn't be forgotten. Latching a white in just the right place, or gimping offstage with a purple is too good.

Pikmin toss is too good.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
It's good to spam it to create openings, not necessarily to rack up damage.

It may look like some Olimars are just mindlessly throwing pikmin out, and some of them are. But smarter Olimar players are completely in control and are trying to bait the opponent, not camp them.

Use it like that most of the time, but precision with it is important too and shouldn't be forgotten. Latching a white in just the right place, or gimping offstage with a purple is too good.
I agree. I mean, what's more awesome than throwing a white, and while they struggle to knock the sucker off, Oli runs up and Upsmashes with a red/purple/etc?

I myself am working on perfecting my SH > Pikmin Throw. You know, to accurately throw pikmin and also retreat if I need to, to escape from faster enemies... Like Luigi for one... The problem I'm having is that it's hard to jump in one direction while throwing in the opposite one...

Greward

Smash Lord
i only spam it against big and slow oponents.

in other matches i usually only use the side b with white or purples, or sometimes when my oponent start to spam projectiles

CAL194

Smash Rookie
I think thats the only move the olimar could spam. But it is funny how people are trying to get rid of them. And for me the good ones to throw are the white one. Or when your opponent is approaching you. U should throw a purple one to back them off

RichBrown

Smash Master
I almost always throw my white, since all it is good for besides latching is grab damage (does like 5% per hit... a white cost me a tournament match the other day, I pulled off a fully charged forward smash with a white, woulda killed with any other pikmin, but it didnt do crap with the white). anyways, keep track of the pikmin you have. whistle often to keep them organized. I tend to borderline spam the move regardless of the pikmin I have in front, unless it's a purple. when I get a purple, I'll throw it and immediately go for a Fair. great combo. With bigger, slower enemies, it foraces them to come at you, and F-B will really help you achieve godly spacing.

OwL

Smash Cadet
You have to keep in mind Pikmins are not your spammable projectiles, they're your basic weapon, so everytime you throw one you're risking openning yourself to have your weapons destroyed.

I see it more as a Metaknight throwing his sword, or a Snake throwing his tools all over the field.

It has to be used carefully.

I'd usually jump and throw one or two, but call them back immediately. I use it more as a pressure technique, more than a damaging one.

Yeah, it's funny against newbies. :laugh:

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Short hop forward b forward b creates an opportunity where your opponent has to react. He has to do something to get rid of them (run in and grab), or run at you to "attempt" to punish you, in which case you shield grab or just fsmash. It's pretty much camping, but you have to be smart and don't run out of pikmin.

asob4

Smash Champion
>b as an apporach is amazing
chuck 2-3 pikmin as you run in then fair or grab them right after
it completely disorientates them and makes them react to something that doesn't matter, giving you the opening to **** they ***

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, latching a pikmin onto an opponent almost guarantees that their next move will be an attack, regardless of how unfazed they may seem by the pikmin hitting them. That is when you sheildgrab ftw.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
It's all about forcing them to act. Pitch a Pikmin and they have to get rid of it or block it. It helps you figure out what they prefer to do to counter you so you can punish them for it later.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
most people don't know that the 50% from the latch is much greater than the damage they are going to take from the punish. PLus THEY NEVER COME OFFF!!!!

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I also love how the pikmin all have their own fly-path through the air. The more you fb the more used to each pikmins arc and distance you become. Eventually you stop spam chucking the guys and instead each fb becomes a precision toss. Then, whenever you latch, you are essentially guaranteed a landed hit while they get it off or else a sheildgrab when they come at ya. I also use this move as salt in the wound after a combo whenever they DI left or right (up and they get an ub). I feels great to dthrow-fair-latch white-dthrow...etc

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not joking. Noken, please edit out that sentence.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
most people don't know that the 50% from the latch is much greater than the damage they are going to take from the punish.
oops forgot to edit, won't make the mistake again

Top Bottom