• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B Stage Cancel

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Hey everyone! I haven't posted here in the peach boards for QUITE a while, but I'm back with what I think is a cool trick!

This may already be known/discovered by some, but I hope to inform some who do not know.

Basically, with the Side B Stage Cancel (SBSC), you cancel your side b and slide onto the stage quite a distance with little lag.

Here's how to perform it:

1. Be on the ledge.
2. Drop down from the ledge
3. Jump
4. Cancel your jump with side b directly above the ledge. This is the step that makes the trick. You must side b directly above the ledge.

An easy way to tell if you did this trick successfully is by peach's voice. If performed correctly, you will only hear the 'huh' in peach's 'huh-chaa!'.

With this trick, you slide on to the stage farther than an on-stage-roll travels and have less lag than an on-stage-roll. This can also trick an opponent because if they see the side b, they'll put up their shield, but the SBSC goes through shields. The side b will go through shields from about the distance of an on-stage roll and back. Here is a clip showing where SBSC can go through shield; it also provides an example of the SBSC. http://youtu.be/VrW-ijyT9ac Also, an opponent may see the SBSC coming and try to punish it, but they will probably misjudge the position, mistaking it to go as far as an on-stage-roll.

*It is important to watch how your opponent covers ledge options. You WILL be vulnerable to attacks that have large hitboxes on the ground like lots of down smashes. If your opponent throws out attacks like these when covering ledge options, do NOT sbsc.

I hope this trick may come to some sort of us, I have been using it and find it helpful. I would appreciate feedback as to whether or this trick works for you, and how it can be applied. Thanks!

Last edited:

IrrationalX

Smash Rookie
NNID
IrrationalX
Yeah, I've known about this tech for a while, and it's a good recovery mix up as long as you're not spamming it all the time, because eventually your opponent will start reading it. Thanks for posting, as I'm sure there will be people for whom this is new tech!

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Oh, cool!

I was sure there would be some people who already knew about it, I just didn't want it to be a popular tech and make a fool out of myself.

Yes, hopefully some people can find out about SBSC :3

marc0polo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoticeMeKohai
nice tech. can i add to it? :D

Try this:
1. Start on the ledge
2. Press away from the ledge to fall off
3. Instantly jump and fair
4. Position yourself so you're still off the edge of the stage
5. side b (almost!) immediately

unless you're super quick, you'll end up doing a SBSC

ya.

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
**Updated the post with corrections about SBSC's capabilities to slide through shield; gave a clip showing what the SBSC looks like and where on the stage it can slide through shields.

Celestial

Smash Cadet
NNID
TangerineCrayon
As a mix up recovery option I have to say this is one of my personal favorites. I've been testing this out during friendlies and pulled it out a few times in various brackets. As long as your opponent isn't conditioned to look for this (i.e. you don't spam it) you can essentially get on to stage for free. Highly useful tech, thank you @ gagelax gagelax

TheRealDrean

Smash Rookie
@ gagelax gagelax Such a useful tech, I'll definitely start using this to mix up how I get back on stage. Great work finding this!

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Going to start testing if SBSC works on platforms and how it can be incorporated. If anyone knows anything about SBSC on platforms, please contribute!

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
Yea, in the video, that is the max distance SBSC can and will go. It has a set distance. However, the recording quality can be deceptive and make it seem to go shorter than it actually does.
So that is the entire distance it covers then?

Top Bottom