• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side-B or not?

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
I see these videos of extremely good Olimars but there is one thing that is different, some use side-b alot and some never use side-b.
What is the best way to go? Use side-b alot and grab or just grab?

Right know im using side-b and grab alot but im wondering what is the best way to play Olimar?
Or is both just as good?

Sorry if I spelled something wrong because im not the best at writing english.

Snail

Smash Lord
Use it. It forces approaches, racks up damage, annoys your opponent and many people will try to shake them off, so you'll be able to punish the ending lag on whatever move they use for that.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Use it. It forces approaches, racks up damage, annoys your opponent and many people will try to shake them off, so you'll be able to punish the ending lag on whatever move they use for that.
Unless you're fighting MetaKnight.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
I usually use side b on bigger char's or char's with projectiles (like the space animals) so whenever they start spamming there projectile I toss pikmin at the to stop them and the leave them open.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I usually use side b on bigger char's or char's with projectiles (like the space animals) so whenever they start spamming there projectile I toss pikmin at the to stop them and the leave them open.
Then they just spam their reflector ._.

Snail

Smash Lord
Well, Falco's reflector has a little gap in between reflectors where you can throw pikmin. It's not much of a risk to latch spacies anyway. All it takes is one whistle to command your confused underlings back to your side :/

RichBrown

Smash Master
One of my most favorite approaches is Fb-Fair. Your opponent will almost always dodge the Fb, making the Fair (or Nair) really easy to time. I've also been working on throwing a purple pikmin and then connecting with a Fair at the exact same time the purple pikmin makes contact. The timing isn't exactly easy, I've only done it twice ever.

Snail

Smash Lord
One of my most favorite approaches is Fb-Fair. Your opponent will almost always dodge the Fb, making the Fair (or Nair) really easy to time. I've also been working on throwing a purple pikmin and then connecting with a Fair at the exact same time the purple pikmin makes contact. The timing isn't exactly easy, I've only done it twice ever.
That sounds pretty cool. The downside would be that if they shield/dodge the pikmin, you won't hit them and they could punish you... Fun to do though.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Very true. It's a lot more effective if your opponent is off the ground. At the start of the match I'll just stick with the Fair, and if they continuously dodge the Fair, I'll use the Fb so I can then do a Fair right after the airdodge animation ends.

Also, latching 1-2 white pikmin and then grabbing into a Dthrow combo is an awesome feeling ^_^

RichBrown

Smash Master
Side B is never useless. Purple Side B toss is too good vs Metaknight, as it's one of the few things you can do to safely approach metaknight.
Oh yeah, Purple pikmin->grab is pretty much awesome. The timing has to be somewhat spot on though. Basically, if an opponent is on the ground and you throw a purple pikmin at them, they have a handful of options:

1. get hit by it
2. shield it
3. spotdodge it
4. roll away from it
5. attack it
6. run/jump away from it

I'm pretty sure that's about all they can do. In turn, here are your options, according to theirs:

1. they get hit by it: punish any way you see fit
2. they shield it: grab
3. they spotdodge it: grab after spot dodge animation
4. they roll: pivot grab if they roll towards you, dash grab if they roll away.
5. they attack it: Depending on the character, you might be able to sneak in for a dashgrab.
6. they run/jump away from it: nothing much you can do.

Again, it takes practice to time all of these. Purple pikmin are pretty much awesome because your opponent never really keeps track of your pikmin, and so it almost always catches them off guard when they get knocked back.

Hope this helps.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I only use pikmin throw to create openings. If I'm using it to camp, I'm playing a noob and I'm too lazy to fight them head on. That's when I get the little plants to do my bidding, cuz I know they love noob meat.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I use Side-B more often against non-projectile characters, and less often against projectile characters.
Overall it's the Side-B which defines Olimar.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman

Story of my life...

In that case, yes, it seems easier to grab or just to be more aggressive IMO. I'm not too sure of the smartest tactic with the best Vadvantage against a character like Pit, Fox or Falco during a match that, when played smartly by the opponent, your side B becomes useless. The only thing that comes to mind is sort of what DanGR says, throw one above them or something, let them kick out a reflector or use the sheild, which has lag, and then go in.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Story of my life...

In that case, yes, it seems easier to grab or just to be more aggressive IMO. I'm not too sure of the smartest tactic with the best Vadvantage against a character like Pit, Fox or Falco during a match that, when played smartly by the opponent, your side B becomes useless. The only thing that comes to mind is sort of what DanGR says, throw one above them or something, let them kick out a reflector or use the sheild, which has lag, and then go in.
If I'm up against Falco, I use Snake.
You can actually evade Falco's Blaster and Reflector by crawling.

Top Bottom