• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B ledge cancel: edgeguarding option select?

SatsumaFS

Smash Rookie
I haven't actually tested this out in an offline environment on purpose since I don't have a Wii U, but it's actually worked before for me, and hasn't been mentioned, so I thought I'd toss it out.

As shown in technique #5 in this thread, the Pits' side Bs can autocancel at ledge roll distance, and leave you in the air free to perform any aerial action immediately. The examples in the video mostly cover low/horizontal recoveries, however. What if someone just double jumps and floats back to the ledge? The cancel doesn't help you cover that too well, and an attempt to intercept with an aerial is easily dodged by a competent opponent.

How it works

Basically, the option select is: side B cancel -> immediate d-air input (C-stick helps a lot). When your opponent recovers high, start up the side B when they've almost reached the ledge. At that distance, your side B can actually scoop them before they grab ledge; with Pit, that's a KO if they're at high percents, and for Dark Pit, that basically ruins a lot of characters' recoveries.

If they air dodge your side B, they'll actually fall past the ledge because you can't grab when you're in the i-frames. They'll either have to double jump or up B to get back. Meanwhile, the cancel will do its magic, and you can immediately do a d-air that disrupts their recovery or outright spikes them. Guardian Orbitars work on some people too, if you want the S-rank...

The way this works is that you do the d-air input at the normal cancel timing (or mash it out if you have a C-stick) regardless of whether or not the side B hits. This means you've basically covered two options at once without using your brain, which is always faster.

Limitations

People can definitely just skip the ledge and land on the stage instead, especially with characters like Sheik or ZSS. This option select doesn't cover those, but you won't be in too much of a bad spot, and if you choose not to mash out the d-air with the C-stick you'll still have time to jump back and punish their landing.

The biggest problem though, and also the reason why this needs testing, is that sometimes your uppercut will come out and whiff even if your opponent air dodges. Perhaps they air dodged at the perfect time or something.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to seeing if this works or not.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Don't forget you can cancel the endlag by simply sliding off after using the aerial version. Since you can use the aerial version by just buffering it out of a jump it's easy to get into the proper spacing without requiring a ledge roll beforehand. Only problem is that it's weaker when used in the air, but if you're just going for a punish it works well.

Myself I use the ledge cancel techniques for generally messing with the opponent on the ledge, so the idea wasn't exactly unnoticed but I still haven't looked too deeply at it either. Biggest problem though is that people almost never recover high.

SatsumaFS

Smash Rookie
Well, yes, I guess. But since the edge cancel already puts you in a free state of movement, I don't think that technique really matters in this case unless you absolutely have to grab ledge for whatever reason.

useredsa

Smash Cadet
Well, yes, I guess. But since the edge cancel already puts you in a free state of movement, I don't think that technique really matters in this case unless you absolutely have to grab ledge for whatever reason.
No, I didn't mean that. I meant mixing both.

So, the way I see it is you do it but instead of performing an aerial or whatever you do that type of jumpcancel on the platform and return with no lag and a tilt or whatever (without grabbing the ledge at any time).

Top Bottom