• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk's win rate compared to other characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
Based on my experience with the online mode, I have only seen Shulk win 10% of the time in both for glory and spectate mode, compared to other newcomers.
Do you Shulk players have an opinion or an conclusion on why he almost never wins?

(I am not here to start a flame war, it's just a simple opinion thread, nothing more.)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Most online players are just bad. It's really that simple, I think.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I find Shulk to be a complicated character with his arts and you need to know the strengths and weaknesses of each one along with not have a projectile can make some bad matchups.Like for me I have I use Shulk and lose most if the time , but it is getting better.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
The game is still in its baby stages, it's only been a week since the international release after all. Also I find Shulk's gimmick, the Monado Arts, to be one of the more complicated systems in the game since you have to know which Art to use and what time as well as being able to adjust for the situation. He also has no projectiles so Shulk is forced to play up close.

Mastering it, or at least be proficient at it, gives you an incredibly versatile playstyle that can be called upon at any situation, and I love him for it.

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
As a Shulk user and beginner to this game, I find it just my mistake of using the Monado. I want to active such Manado but end up activate the wrong one..

I think also if I use the smash (B button) and I don't hit the enemy, I find it is really easy punishable because the slow recovery.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Meanwhile, my Shulk win ratio is over 80%.

If you subtract all the SDing I do intentionally when the game lags to all hell, at least.

Win rates aren't really valid indicators of anything, honestly. It depends on how many people play the character and whether or not they quit the match for whatever reason and through whichever method.

Last edited:

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Win rates aren't really valid indicators of anything, honestly. It depends on how many people play the character and whether or not they quit the match for whatever reason and through whichever method.
Well, except that win rates do give a general overview of how well a character is doing.

I think it just comes down to that Shulk is a bit tougher for some to wrap their heads around. This 10% win rate is also including those who just play online casually or are rather young, and may not see things as technically as we tend to. As such, others often do not grasp things as quickly or as well.
I'm willing to bet the win rate will go up a bit as time goes on, but I don't think it'll ever be high.

Brozinski

Smash Rookie
My win rate with Shulk is around 55% or so. But like @ Limbose Limbose said, it's unlikely Shulk will ever have an exceptional win rate on average. He's a weird character that some people will lose with a few times and then never play again.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
For Glory to me seems just like what Brawl wifi was for, which is learning character MUs. The first time I played a FG match with Shulk it was versus Sheik & the delay / lag-input was even worse than Brawl. .regardless victory was mine but that's not the point.

Shulk's learning curve is very high because there's so much you have to know about Shulk involving his Monado sword & his Monado Arts. If the said person is aware of Super Smash Brothers & it's game physics, then learning Shulk will be easier to play. New players that just pick up Shulk who have never played Smash have to go through a lot more learning & catching up. So the win ratio is understandable.

I haven't lost a single Smash battle in For Glory with Shulk today.

Those smash attacks are godly in free for alls.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
In my experience, the reason Shulk doesnt do so hot is because many of his moves, while having excellent range, are too slow to actually hit the opponent, who will be able to dodge or block them. As well, as a close range fighter he's particularly vulnerable to projectiles of any kind. He is also fairly easily combo'd, and often times I'm forced to use Vision to break out, which I really only like to use for Smash attacks for maximum power. If only his Speed MA increased attack speed, he might actually be able to approach opponents better. Anyways, this is just my opinion after using only him for the past couple of days online.

There's been already a lot of good Shulk footages anyway. The guy's good. The whole "Attack is too slow" disadvantage is something to take note of but it becomes an asset with jump and speed surprisingly. It's slow enough to last long enough. Oh and as much as people have been having trouble against projectiles, you just use speed and jump. If it's not working for you (which is a shock) then well, good luck mates.

He's a defensive character but he can go offensive if he wants with jump or speed

Plus, Shulk's win rate is affected by back slash. Pfffft.

Last edited:

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
There's been already a lot of good Shulk footages anyway. The guy's good. The whole "Attack is too slow" disadvantage is something to take note of but it becomes an asset with jump and speed surprisingly. It's slow enough to last long enough. Oh and as much as people have been having trouble against projectiles, you just use speed and jump. If it's not working for you (which is a shock) then well, good luck mates.

He's a defensive character but he can go offensive if he wants with jump or speed

Plus, Shulk's win rate is affected by back slash. Pfffft.
Don't forget Shulk's godly Nair, which can block projectiles that don't outprioritise it - really useful in Speed mode.

In my experience, the reason Shulk doesnt do so hot is because many of his moves, while having excellent range, are too slow to actually hit the opponent, who will be able to dodge or block them. As well, as a close range fighter he's particularly vulnerable to projectiles of any kind. He is also fairly easily combo'd, and often times I'm forced to use Vision to break out, which I really only like to use for Smash attacks for maximum power. If only his Speed MA increased attack speed, he might actually be able to approach opponents better. Anyways, this is just my opinion after using only him for the past couple of days online.
If Shulk had that kind of approach game, he'd be broken. And Speed would be the best Art for every character ever. You have to hold your ground, and dictate the flow of battle yourself.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've only played one Shulk so far that was able to destroy my Fox and my Shulk (I have a theory that it was Ally, but there are tons of Elliots in the world. Wish that replay still worked, ggs 1.0.3 replays). Every other one I've played were either decent or Back-slash spammers (a lot of BS spammers).

Personally, I think the bunch of back-slash spam is probably the cause of his poor online record.

Last edited:

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I imagine Shulk's win rate on FG would be pretty low. I've currently over 4000 games on FG and have only ran into about a very tiny handful of good Shulks. As aforementioned the main reason for this is due to him having one of the highest skill floors out of all characters. In order to succeed with him he requires a combination of good fundamentals as well as a good understanding of the character. He doesn't deal with pressure particularly well, nor can he pressure opponents well himself so you have to rely almost primarily on point spacing, mix-ups and capitalising off of grabs. There's no braindead simple strategy or auto combos with Shulk and he requires a lot of good reads but successful reads can lead to high reward.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I don't want to learn 5 characters in one.
Actually, this is probably the best way to describe Shulk: he's one character with the versatility of 5 in total. I play with a local Little Mac main all the time who said something like this, fighting Shulk feels like you're fighting 5 different characters who switch in and out.

LisaLisa444

Smash Rookie
I use Marty but shulk is my back up, and I can say that he can own the air. His aerial attacks are godly,and if they didn't have lag he would be a little op (though it would require better timing to land attacks). His ground game is poor, just because most of his attacks are predictable, easily shielded, and don't give enough space to protect against fast characters. He does have his dsmash, which hits anyone who dares try to roll near you, and he has a counter to help get him from getting comboed upon. Jump art is my fave, because it turns shulk into Jiggs, and I can gimp to my hearts content( easier than anything marth can do). I think shulk is a uphill battle to get good as, because he is easily one of the hardest chars to understand. Once you learn him though and you start koing with bait, he become very satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom