• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk's Custom Special Attacks

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Self-explanatory. Any and all discussion related to Shulk's potential custom specials should pertain to this location.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see his custom moves. Really interested in seeing how they modify and change a custom move with so many options already.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think they might've already showed one custom move because he did the counter in the trailer twice and there was a different animation for both clips.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I hope the counter animations were the same move. I had thought that when he switched arts, he would counter differently. But if they are different moves, then that's alright too.

I bet his up + B changes between a regular dolphin slash at greater speed/distance, and one he can attack out of at the cost of distance/speed.

*shrug*

gamer8

Smash Lord
I can't really even imagine how his neutral special is going to be customizable when it's already 5 different moves, really looking forward to seeing what that's like though.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I can't really even imagine how his neutral special is going to be customizable when it's already 5 different moves, really looking forward to seeing what that's like though.
my only guess for that atm is that maybe the change the order in which you scroll through the buffs. That could become extremely confusing though getting used to a custom order to be changed when they play Shulk online.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
my only guess for that atm is that maybe the change the order in which you scroll through the buffs. That could become extremely confusing though getting used to a custom order to be changed when they play Shulk online.
what if Shulk ended up being the only character not customizable?

his B is already so good.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
One likely will be increased length, but reduced effect, and the other is shorter length, but much stronger effect for Neutral B.

BackwardCap

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-0407-6208
We don't even fully understand how his default specials work. Maybe Back Slash! will change into Chest Slash!

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Maybe Air Slash could work in reverse; instead of the recovery slash causing a follow up hit, Shulk has to hit someone before Air Slash gives him a recovery, in exchange for increased damage or height.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
With as many moves as Sakurai didn't put into his moveset, I'd hate if his up and side specials didn't change into other Arts of his. Up could become Cyclone, and side could be stream edge or really any other move that has boosted effect based on position. As for his counters, I really hope we didn't actually see one of the custom variants... I'd much rather it change between attacking, dodging, and maybe some sort of debuff infliction.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
What I can imagine for Shulk's customized Neutral B are the levels of the stat distributions.
Take Monado Buster for example, normally it's "stronger attacks, weaker launch ability", but maybe one of the custom neutral B can be "even stronger attacks, even weaker launch ability", this custom set can be an "Extreme Level" of stat alterations.

I'm quite curious as to the other moves he could possibly get.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'd be pretty let down if that's all that changed for his neutral special, but honestly it's hard to imagine anything else. I suppose that's why I hope they go all out for his other custom moves.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
This one is a little weird, but bear with me. What about instead of Monado Art buffing Shulk, a custom version lets him pass the effects onto another player instead? It would work like this; Shulk loads up a Monado Art, and then on his next successful counter, he gives the opponent the stat change. Imagine passing Monado Shield onto Bowser or Ganon where the speed debuff means they never catch you or run away when the extra launch resist means getting extra hits lobbed at them, or giving Sonic Monado Speed so that his already poor attack strength turns into slaps on the wrist?

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
Maybe his Side and Up Custom Specials could be completely new moves. Like Side Special could be Monado Purge, and Up Special could be Monado Cyclone.

I do like the idea of his Monado art customs changing the duration and effect of his buffs/debuffs.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Maybe his Side and Up Custom Specials could be completely new moves. Like Side Special could be Monado Purge, and Up Special could be Monado Cyclone.

I do like the idea of his Monado art customs changing the duration and effect of his buffs/debuffs.
Well, unless Sakurai lied, that only happens with Palutena and Mii Fighter. Shulk's animations will mostly be the same.

Granted, Mario's fire jump punch uses a different animation from the default version, but it's still a jump punch. So, there's a little wiggle room.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm guessing one of Shulk's custom neutral special's will allow him to switch between the Monado, Monado 2, and Monado 3. (Each with their own strengths and weaknesses obviously)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
This one is a little weird, but bear with me. What about instead of Monado Art buffing Shulk, a custom version lets him pass the effects onto another player instead? It would work like this; Shulk loads up a Monado Art, and then on his next successful counter, he gives the opponent the stat change. Imagine passing Monado Shield onto Bowser or Ganon where the speed debuff means they never catch you or run away when the extra launch resist means getting extra hits lobbed at them, or giving Sonic Monado Speed so that his already poor attack strength turns into slaps on the wrist?
That is one of the best ideas I've ever heard. Maybe instead of being reliant on counter, this version of Arts just sends out a small shockwave, affecting the opponents it hits?

Last edited:
Just a bunch of guesses from me

Neutral B : Monado cycle
- Might be modifiable. You can maybe rearrange the cycle arrangement or even replace one of the arts with a new one? Sounds like a stretch but it's my guess
- Option A: Eater (Deals an additional 10% damage for over a certain duration. Cannot be stacked)
- Option B: Purge (Allows Shulk's attacks to debuff enemies' damage output by a certain amount. Lasts for a certain duration. Cannot be stacked)
- Option C: Cyclone (Increases speed and launching ability, decreases attack power and defense. Got too lazy with this one)

Forward B : Back slash
- Option A: Stream edge (Has a greater effect on shields)
- Option B: Shaker edge (Deals high hitsun on lying enemies)

Downward B : Vision
- Option A: Battle soul (Hold down to increase your damage output by 1% per second while increasing your percentage by 1% per second also)
- Option B: ???

Not sure about up B... Can be Monado cyclone, I think.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
B: Monado Cycle: Standard special
B2: Monado Cyclone: Summons blades/gusts of winds around Shulk that deal rapid damage while it's out.
B3: Monado Cycle 2: Changes through Monado Enchant, Monado Eater, and Monado Purge.
-Monado Enchant will give him a buff in part of his sword, but not the whole sword. That part will deal extra damage, to what extent could be whatever.
-Monado Eater will make him absorb 1/2 or 1/4th of the HP he deals.
-Monado Purge will cause a wave that purges nearby characters and pushes them away.
BExtra: Battle Soul: Sacrifices some % for extra power and knockback.

What do you guys think of this so far?

Knighto

Smash Rookie
I really want to know what they will do with his neutral b. I'm thinking maybe instead of changing the stances, maybe they add an effect to when he changes stances, like makes him jump backwards when he does neutral b, or puts flowers on everyone near him. Though that would mean his custom neutral b would all be better then the regular one.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I dunno if you've got footage of Shulk's custom moves yet but I'll be uploading a vid in an hour or two with all of them. Posting here again when it's done.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I dunno if you've got footage of Shulk's custom moves yet but I'll be uploading a vid in an hour or two with all of them. Posting here again when it's done.
...An hour or two later...

*Body intensifies*

I'm so excited to be able to see all of his customs. In order, I'm interested in:

1) Monado Arts
2) Back Slash
3) Vision
4) Air Slash

Chauzu

Smash Ace
This is the Monado's Power!

And I've only used Shulk in Smash Run so not that good with him, was hard to pull of certain stuff.

If you want me to test something more let me know.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
This is the Monado's Power!

And I've only used Shulk in Smash Run so not that good with him, was hard to pull of certain stuff.

If you want me to test something more let me know.
Thanks!

So, from what I'm gathering...

1) Monado Arts

- Decisive Monado Arts is probably something I won't be using as you're unable to cancel the Art, meaning, you'll have to make quite the commitment.

- Extreme Monado Arts is basically your 'Burst' mode. Before considering to even use this custom, I'll probably want to get comfortable with the default special since these effects push Shulk to the limit with each Art. Something I'd rather use over Decisive Monado Arts, but will need to test for myself before using this custom seriously

2) Back Slash

- Jumping Back Slash...I actually kind of like this one. I have questions though: How quickly can you execute the move after something like his U-Throw or U-Tilt? May have potential as a follow up at low-mid percents depending on the character. Also, could you test to see if the move has any kind of meteor/spike effect?

- Enduring Back Slash...now this one seems pretty useful. Is the knockback and damage output the same, or weaker than the standard Back Slash? I'll probably want to look in this more as this may very well be the go-to for Shulk's Side-B option...but when I go back and watch it, there seems to be practically no stun on a successful blow (at least at low percents), so it looks as though Ganondorf could take the hit and punish before Shulk recovers.

3) Air Slash

- Forward Air Slash...seems like this could help out with horizontal recovery a bit aside from Back Slash. With that being said, we may sacrifice a kill option at the top since the standard Air Slash has enough power to snag some KOs if landed towards the top of the screen, but I'm not entirely sure on that. Overall, it seems pretty solid, and with more testing, I may prefer this option.

- Strong Air Slash...I'll take a loss in reach (I'm assuming this is referring to the range of Shulk's blade?) if it improves his vertical lift upon execution of the move (I think that's what I noticed? Feel free to clarify).

4) Vision

- Dash Vision..based on the evidence, it was clear this was hard for you to test :p Probably won't be using this variant though, honestly.

- Power Vision...this one seems like it could potentially be huge. Unless the visual effect of slowing down time is truly present though, I only see this for punishing unsafe/laggy attacks. Our standard Vision/Counter is already pretty damn strong, so if this can even counter somewhat quick attacks with a huge punish, Shulk just got even scarier. This will require some precision of course, as the timing will dramatically become tighter over time, assuming the analysis of this custom is correct.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright then, I think I will go with Extreme Monado Arts after getting used to the regular one, I don't really know what Backslash I want to use, Maybe I'll stick to the original. I'll use Air Slash, if I need to recover, I'll use jump! I'll probably use the normal Vision as it seems to stun enemies before striking, and Power Vision doesn't stun. Unless I'm wrong about Power Vision, this will be my prefered set

Weeginji

Smash Cadet
Dash Vision looks like it's built to counter keepaway. No real application unless you're going against someone who frequently uses projectiles. Even then it's kinda situational though.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ok.

- The Monado's: I had a hard time using the Extreme variant myself in Smash Run. It's like you don't have time to do anything before the effect runs out.

- Jump Back Slash: You can use it pretty quickly after u-tilt and u-throw and can probably combo at lower %, afterwards the opponent can air dodge (at least the CPU managed to). No spike or meteor what I can see, insanely quick though and covers a lot of space. You can also jump and use it and you cover a lot of space.

- Enduring Back Slash: It does around 6-15% in my testing with sandbags, obviously depending on how well you hit. Normal Back Slash does 9-10% in my testing. It's still a pretty weird move though. It's strong, fast and has good reach + super armor... But no stun, no knockback, big lag. So yes you are open afterwards. I'd doubt myself with this if it weren't for Captain Falcon having a similair version of his Falcon Punch. It is basically as slow and as strong as Warlock Punch... But NO KNOCKBACK. Not even stun. So I'm afraid this move might not be so useful? We'll have to wait and see.

- Strong Air Slash - It feels like it has the best vertical recovery yes. But as you could see in my video it was pretty hard to land on opponents, and you can't do anything afterwards - you basically fall right down. Not ruling this out though, since yeah seems the strongest and highest vertical recovery.

And about the Visions. I'll let you guys take a look at them later when the game is released worldwide. ;)

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I personally like that Forward Air Slash. I'm betting it's really nasty in Buster form because it seems like it has major combo potential. Also Jumping Back Slash looks the most useful to me because I can punish with it from a closer range, although it does have terrible horizontal distance in the air, not that standard Back Slash had much anyway.

Top Bottom