• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk vs Zero Suit Samus

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Recently, I played against a pretty competent ZSS in For Glory. She played similarly to a lot of ZSSs I see online. Utilizing a lot of dash attacks, charging up her B move and then running in with a grab right after, pursuing me in the air with Uairs, Bairs, and Fairs, she used her down-B quite often too and that would really trip me up. But I was able to beat her multiple times with each of my best characters. Ness, Little Mac, Sonic (although she did kill Sonic once), and Wii Fit Trainer. Wii Fit Trainer's one of my worst characters and I still managed to beat her. But...when I switched to Shulk, it was over. I just couldn't do anything. ZSS is just way too fast and Shulk's moves are way too slow. Even switching to the Speed art didn't help much. I tried approaching a lot with Nair since it covers a lot of area, but she'd just guard and roll away before I could grab her. I tried using Shulk's f-tilt which is one of his faster moves, but even that was too slow and she'd just attack first. Sometimes when she'd land a grab and up throw me, I knew she'd follow up with a Uair. So I'd prepare to counter, but she'd even manage to out speed that and land the Uair. I died from that. I don't know what to do. Before I could rematch her, she left the room (because she finally won against me probably... ) -_-; Is ZSS just a bad match up against Shulk or am I doing something wrong? I'm still really trying to get better with Shulk, but it's so discouraging when every one of my other characters can handle someone, but he can't.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
I think it's one of his tougher fights. The best luck I've had is playing an offensive defensive. Don't really approach her, I just use lots of N-airs in front of her, and empty jumps. Be on the lookout for the paralyzer, and go for backslash if you can get it fast enough, to gain momentum.

If they play it safer, just keep sort of shutting them out without attacking them directly. Try and make them do something then use Shulk's great range. If they go into the air, go offensive ASAP. That's the best situation in this matchup. Shulk's aerials outrange her so easily and she has little choices in the air.

If they like to shield-grab (a lot of them really seem to), try falling behind them with N-air, she can't turn and grab fast enough. Or just feint and quickly fall and grab them.

Overall, play lots of zoning and defensive, and get them in the air. Jump and Speed can help with that. ZSS has to be aggressive, so play the opposite, which Shulk excels at.

And lastly, her recovery is very straightforward and not too good. If you can predict them, they're fairly easy to gimp with F-air off stage. If you know they're going for a tether recovery, try and fake them out then B-air them as they swing onto the ledge behind you. A good stage spike like that will do it.

I'd use buster and shield primarily. I had problems using jump and speed because it encouraged me to be mobile, run around and rush down but against ZSS, I thought that was a dumb idea.

Stay on the defensive. Let 'em come at you. Although n-air works well against paralyzer shots, you're probably gonna get dash attacked after. Her aerials have no landing lag (sans d-air but for some reason, it's a bit difficult to punish) and Shulk sucks at punishing. Maybe air slash works but idk. Utilize d-tilt and u-tilt more here. D-tilt for spacing, u-tilt because it's a great anti air. Don't use b-air or f-air on stage a lot. The landing lag on them sucks so you're bound to be punish. HOWEVER, it's alright to use them if ZSS is also using airs. To be safe, just stick with b-air or especially u-tilt. I don't use counter (default) that much here. Seems really useless. Also, grab. That's all I can think off. Oh and her side B has good range. I'd counter or shield that if I were you.

I just run Hyper Arts because I don't want to deal with Zamus for that long. Air slash KO's her off the edge at around 50's. Power vision is godlike. The power itself makes it an asset no matter what

Last edited:
Top Bottom