• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Is Incredible!

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I was feelin Shulk before, he is like the only character I ever play, but now I'm REALLY feeling him! After this patch his damage output is just incredible. You would think 1-2% here and there wouldn't make much of a difference but O man I streamed today for 4 hours and I could tell a HUGE difference. How do you guys feel about Shulk? I had a Shulk mirror tonight and he is so scary to go up against now due to the crazy amount of damage that buster deals out!

Yeah. He feels different mate.

We'd love it if you could help out with identifying the differences (F-air has less landing lag, knockback increase, etc)

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Fair has significantly less landing lag since I was able to combo into an f-smash when I could never do that before. I have a crazy video where I basically do nothing but a wall of fairs against this Peach and I come back when I was down 120+% because of the damage increase and less landing lag. His D-smash, I feel, has wayyyy more knockback. With shield art +rage effect at around 140% I KO'd a Falcon at 88% literally cross map which means he went from one side to the next extremely fast lol. All around he just feels like a much more viable and dangerous character and I wouldn't be surprised if Shulk usage shoots up greatly because of this buff.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
He definitely feels much smoother to play. Hopefully this means I can expect to see more Shulk gameplay from streamed tournaments.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just remember, Shulk is not invinsible, you must still be strategic with Monado Arts, and remember the future is ours for the taking. Also remember to slice up reckless play with Vision.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I only tested the up close hitboxes of Down Smash so it could be possible that it has greater knockback.

I can't do any testing right now though.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Guys I think its easier to land fair spike.I have an easier time at least.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
On top of everything he had before, he does slightly more damage across the board, his F-Smash, Bair, Uair, and Dair are all now extremely reliable and feel like they work properly, his Fair has less lag which makes it much safer to use and works great in conjunction with Nair, he does more damage in his speed and jump Monado, Smash Monado is killing medium to light opponents at 70-90 percent if I can land a smash or bair on them.

He's not just improved he's like a different character now. It's gotta be the biggest turnaround of all the characters in this patch. Maybe Sakurai or someone on the staff managed to play Xenoblade all the way through and fell in love with it, fixing Shulk up in the process or something. Whatever the case his kit just feels like it makes so much more sense now.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Smash isn't any stronger from everything seen so far. His base damages going up increase his KB in Vanilla which is multiplied by Smash. Even still his kill %'s aren't differing much on many moves.
What is noticeable is absolutely better trades and reward in Speed Monado. Granted I haven't played him a lot today but I've been abusing Speed a lot as of late and now it's *really* coming through for me.

The amount of timess you get 3-4 reads in Speed but you still have to train them some more because your damage isn't up to par. Now it's just a lot easier to feel like "Im going in Speed not only to operate, but to get a big pay out".

I haven't played with Buster yet but shoot if what I hear is correct, oh happy days.

Last edited:
What is noticeable is absolutely better trades and reward in Speed Monado. Granted I haven't played him a lot today but I've been abusing Speed a lot as of late and now it's *really* coming through for me.

The amount of timess you get 3-4 reads in Speed but you still have to train them some more because your damage isn't up to par. Now it's just a lot easier to feel like "Im going in Speed not only to operate, but to get a big pay out".

I haven't played with Buster yet but shoot if what I hear is correct, oh happy days.
Buster's defense was buffed. By buffed, I meant he takes 13% more damage instead of 20%

Also, it was indirectly buff thanks to the damage buffs on vanilla Shulk. Boy oh boy

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Berserker. Berserker. :4greninja:'d what I was gonna say.:smirk:

All the little % buffs indirectly increased all of his Mart's damages, including Buster by a good tiny portion of extra damage (2% sometimes; better than 1%:p). I heard a scary story by Silent that HBuster B-throw deals 20%
. . .

That's intimidating to the max. .:scared:

Last edited:

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
That's funny, I had a Shulk ditto earlier today too :p
Let's play again one day Jerm when I play with a controller where:GCU: isn't jammed. RIP tap jump

Anyways, the only time I've used Shulk so far was that one match against you. From the little I saw though, fair being faster is great for a variety of reasons and the damage increase piles on fast like you said. That and I feel like forward smash is hitting a bit more consistently than before. That was one of my biggest gripes about Shulk. I look forward to using this unlocked Monado power

ScionVyse

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScionVyse
Just remember, Shulk is not invinsible, you must still be strategic with Monado Arts, and remember the future is ours for the taking. Also remember to slice up reckless play with Vision.
So what you're saying is,
"Let's not lose our heads though!" :reyntime: I'm so sorry.

Yeah, Shulk does feel a lot better now. I was a Shulk main from day one, and I always liked him, but the difference is there, and it makes a pretty big difference overall. I can't wait to start playing with a proper controller, as that'll only make things better.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
So what you're saying is,
"Let's not lose our heads though!" :reyntime: I'm so sorry.

Yeah, Shulk does feel a lot better now. I was a Shulk main from day one, and I always liked him, but the difference is there, and it makes a pretty big difference overall. I can't wait to start playing with a proper controller, as that'll only make things better.
Pivot Fsmashes alllll day ;) As well as some nice and clean DACUS.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I thought DACUS was still a thing since those with the gamecube controller mods were doing it with Shiek. Unless they patched that out recently? We'll be able to confirm for ourselves in a few days though if anything.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I thought DACUS was still a thing since those with the gamecube controller mods were doing it with Shiek. Unless they patched that out recently? We'll be able to confirm for ourselves in a few days though if anything.
I believe the video that you're referring to outdates the recent patch.

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't think Shulk needed many of those buffs he got (maybe a few but thats about it*) I just hope they don't nerf him into being WORSE than he was (basically, if they want to nerf him later on, just revert some of his buffs)

I am pleased with them nonetheless though, don't think they'll do much to his tier placement either, all the damage in the world means little when your ground moves are rather laggy.

*bear in mind im not counting bugfixes or QoL changes as buffs; he definitely needed all of those

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
After the patch and the loss of my main character the Mii Brawler, I'm really considering maining shulk because of how good he actually friggin is. I used to think to myself that all of his Arts nerfed him more than buffed him, but now I feel like it's the other way around.

Jump
+ Jump Height
+ Air Speed
- Weight.
This is a straight upgrade when you're not at kill %. Recovery becomes a lot better. Superb and absolutely necessary for the Neutral game.

Speed
+ Ground Speed
- Attack (very little)
- Jump Height
Not as good as Jump, but it gets the job done if you want to mix up and confuse your opponent.

Shield
+ Weight
- Attack
- Speed
Eh, I don't really like this one, I'd rather use Jump and not get hit at all than use this to survive a hit.

Buster
+ Attack
- Defense
- Knockback
Straight upgrade if you get the stock lead or are already at high percent. Builds your rage and now its even better considering Buster's Defense got buffed.

Smash
- Attack
- Defense
+ Knockback
Only should use if you have the stage advantage, never use in the neutral game unless you want to bait somebody with a Vision.

With that said, I mostly start my games with jump, jumping around baiting people with nairs, if I land it it combos into U-tilt and I go from there. God it feels so good to have so much air speed and mobility. Then I go back to standard shulk and wait for Jump again. Smash won't ever come out until my opponents are over 100% and I have stage advantage. Buster comes out when I have stage advantage or I'm in the lead and not at low %. Speed comes out as a mixup sometimes and I almost never use shield. It really works out.

Top Bottom