• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Control Bindings

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Hi! I just thought I'd make a discussion post on controller options and control bindings for Shulk. This feels like the first release of Smash where we have actual control options (Four Ways to Play my bum) and Shulk can benefit greatly from being a bit open to switching it up.

I haven't gotten my hands on a GC adaptor yet, so I'm mainly going to focus on the Wii U Pro Controller, and by extension, the Gamepad. Besides, we all have an idea as to how the GC controller works, and I don't think there's a lot of room for discussion for it outside of how it was discussed in Brawl.

I'll post diagrams if this picks up in popularity, but otherwise I won't bother. Also, for all intents and purposes, the right analog stick on the Pro will be referred to as the C-Stick. YOLO

My initial control setup for Wii U was made to mirror my control setup for the 3DS, as it was what I was comfortable with. I moved Jump off of X and replaced it with Grab, then made both the shoulder buttons Shield. I did this because I traditionally ignored R in Melee, and I always hated grabbing with Z. Using my thumb to grab just felt more comfortable. The problem I had with this was that the jump button and the attack button were on the opposite side of the controller, which was an issue for quickly and errorlessly doing aerials, something very important with my three mains, Shulk, Lucina, and Ganondorf. This resulted in me swapping the Special attack and Attack button, as quick aerial specials weren't very important.

This was great on the 3ds version where my controls were remembered. However, on the Wii U version I would constantly forget to swap back to my name after changing game modes, and it became increasingly difficult to remember my bindings. I'd have to swap back and forth between specials and attacks being on B, and even now my play is diminished as I find myself hesitating and thinking about my bindings before I Up-B. I decided I had to get used to the vanilla controls for Attack and Special to counteract this. This, of course, meant moving Jump to X. I could move Grab to Y, but it felt weird and I found myself hesitating a lot. Besides, if I forgot to swap to my controls again, grabbing would be a challenge, and I might find myself hesitating on grabs. I decided to keep jump on XY, which allowed me to do quick aerial specials. Again, they aren't very important, but it's still handy to have.

The other possibility that the Pro possessed was two sets of triggers. Initially I put shield on ZL/ZR and grab on LR to reflect the GC's placement of Shield and Grab (why on earth did they swap those buttons? ZL/ZR is behind LR on the Pro, and grab is still bound to ZL/ZR). If I forget my controls I might find myself grabbing instead of shielding, but I'll just have to get used to it.

However, the last bit of tech that Smash Wii U offers over the 3ds is the C-stick. I can't imagine using it for anything other than Smash Attack, as I'm addicted to Aerial C-sticking (people have been saying that Attack works better than Smash Attack for aerials, but I haven't noticed a difference. Perhaps I'll experiment more). The weakness of C-stick aerials from melee is the difficulty in swapping your thumb from X/Y to C when you want to quickly hop up and aerial someone. I was a Marth main in Melee, so this gave me a lot of trouble. The Pro controller has two great ways to handle this. First off, X is right next to the C-stick in the Pro, allowing for quick transitions. Unfortnately it's much harder to accurately flick due to it's bulkier build and lack of 8-way indents. So, I decided to make use of my neglected ZR button (again, I only block with ZL as per Melee habits) and bind a third Jump to it. This way, when it comes time to Fair or Bairplane, I can take my whole right thumb off of the buttons and place it on the C-stick, and all I'm missing out on is specials.

To recap, my current bindings are...

ZL-Shield
ZR-Jump
L-Grab
R-Grab

C-Stick- Smash Attack (maybe normal attack?)

X-Jump
Y-Jump
A-Attack
B-Special Move

In total, this allows me to do aerials far more effectively than in Melee, quickly jump and do attacks OR special moves, grab and block as I did in Melee, and most importantly, totally forget to turn on my control bindings without being punished too harshly. Most of the important controls are exactly as they are in vanilla.

Some additional thoughts. L is currently redundant, as I mostly grab with R. I'm considering binding Special Move to it. That way, I can use specials AND jump using nothing but the shoulder buttons. This frees up my thumb for the C-Stick without removing the option to use Special Moves. This also means that X, Y, A and B are all mapped elsewhere on the controller, potentially freeing them up for anything I want. I think I'll keep 'em vanilla, but a more creative player than myself might take advantage of that.

A lot of players are binding Jump to AB and attack/special to XY. This is to remain consistent with many platformers, especially SNES-era platformers, where bindings are similar. In the end it's all about comfort, but I'm going to make the argument that, overall, this is a worse setup.

For ease of reading, I'm going to use the Wii U Pro button names to describe the location of the buttons. Y is the left button, X is the top, A the right, and B is the bottom. Also note that to a frequent gamer, nothing I'm about to say is really 'new information' or worthy of an "Oh, I never though about that!". It's just helpful to put it into perspective.

The reason why platformers are setup with Jump on B/A is because when you rest your thumb on the controller, your thumb naturally overlays either B and Y, or X and A. Therefore, if B and Y are bound to two important interactions, you can comfortably do either at a moments notice without moving your thumb. This is why Jump is naturally on X and Y for Smash Wii U, and not Y and B, or X and A. Those combinations would be redundant, as My thumb would overlay over two Jump buttons. Then I'd have to shift awkwardly over a row to attack or use a special.

There is a reason, however, why Jump is on X and attack is on A, and not the other way around. Try quickly pressing X and then A. Your thumb naturally 'flicks' or 'rolls.' from X to A. Try doing it from A to X and it works, but it's not nearly as natural or comfortable, and it's much slower. It also leaves your thumb in a weird spot, that might make it more difficult to move back to jump/attack, or over to special. The combo we have now is great because in Smash we often need to jump and then attack, but we NEVER need to attack and then jump, because when we attack we're locked in lag that prevents jumping.

The reason why platformers do this in reverse is because in a platformer, jumping is the focus button. Take Super Mario World, my all time favorite platformer. In Super Mario World run is on Y and jump is on B. This is because you'll often want to hold down Run, then jump later. You almost never want to jump, then quickly run, but you'll CONSTANTLY find yourself running and THEN jumping, and being able to quickly roll your finger back is so much more convenient than rolling it forward.

Therefore, I feel that X and Y are a much better place for Jump, as that thumb rolling function retains utility, allowing for quick aerials and specials. Of course, if the platformer layout is more comfortable for you, then do what feels best. But definitely consider the alternative.

Anyone else have any control layouts that they feel superior or more comfortalbe to the vanilla layout?

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
C-Stick - Normal Attack
This works really well with Shulk because of awesome tilts and aerials, but Smash can be preferred.

X, B, X, Y, ZL and ZR is really up to your personal pref. I use attack on A and specials on X and never use Y or B.
L & R - Jump & shield. Having jump on L or R is the best part of the controller setup for me.
Check out the thread "Most efficient controller setup? In-depth look." in Competitive Discussions for more information.
(I can't post links yet, sorry)

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Switching C-Stick to tilts is a fantastic idea. Not only does it make using tilts easier, but it also gives you more mobility in the air. For some reason, using air attacks with a c-stick assigned for smash attacks restricts your movement. But with c-stick assigned to tilts, you can move much more freely.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I know for sure that if I plan on playing Shulk in any quirky way I can, I'll start with setting the :GCCN: on the GameCube Controller or Wii Classic Pro Controller as Specials, so I can B-stick.:shades:

Just think about it. MArt WaveBouncing for absolute safe SH aerials, mixing it up with MArtWB > SH > B-air instead of RAR > B-air. The aerial mobility from Jump or Speed after you WB with that aerial!:awesome:

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
I know for sure that if I plan on playing Shulk in any quirky way I can, I'll start with setting the :GCCN: on the GameCube Controller or Wii Classic Pro Controller as Specials, so I can B-stick.:shades:

Just think about it. MArt WaveBouncing for absolute safe SH aerials, mixing it up with MArtWB > SH > B-air instead of RAR > B-air. The aerial mobility from Jump or Speed after you WB with that aerial!:awesome:
Had to check a video of how WaveBouncing works after reading this, because it sounds really interesting, but I'm still not sure how this works with Shulk?

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Switching C-Stick to tilts is a fantastic idea. Not only does it make using tilts easier, but it also gives you more mobility in the air. For some reason, using air attacks with a c-stick assigned for smash attacks restricts your movement. But with c-stick assigned to tilts, you can move much more freely.
I've been wanting to do that as soon as I get a Wii U and it's Sm4sh. Because I'm crap at tilts, and have been since Melee - I can never do them off the cuff, I always have to stick then A, leaving me predictable. Even a soft press comes out too fast and ends up doing a Smash. And Tap Jump in Melee just left Utilts right out for me. (Never mind the fact that right stick is worthless camera controls in single-player modes, making Melee's controls utterly dreadful and me very grateful for Project M.)

But for Diamond-style controllers like the 3DS, I always set Jump to B, and Special to Y, as it reduces my physical committal to either A or B (Y) moves. Sure, the defaults are as ergonomic as possible, but I don't lose very much, and it just works better for my brain. The only real "problem" is activating MArts and attacking at the same time, arching over the diamond to do so - and the vast majority of that isn't button layout, but online latency causing Shulk to ignore my orders and use some random MArt that's before or after the one I went for. (And, yes, I counted my presses.) Causing me to burn a MArt I didn't want yet, and take a hefty wallop I shouldn't have had to.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
My setup with a Pro Controller (by extension, a gamepad)

A = Grab
B = Special
X = Attack
Y = Jump

ZR = Shield
ZL = Shield
R = Grab
L = Jump

Right Stick = Smash Attack

I know some Shulks prefer to have the Right stick as tilts, since it allows for easier moving N-airs with him. I personally prefer Smash attacks because a quick F-smash or U-smash are some of Shulk's best punish options.

EDIT: I'm probably going to stick with my GC controller once my adapter arrives.

Last edited:
I also am going to stick with Smash attacks also. I'm fine with performing retreating f-airs with manual sticking+A (Thanks to the 3DS) and I've already adapted to using the control stick and A to perform tilt attacks.

Zacko

Smash Cadet
After playing Shulk a lot on the Wii U version, I've changed my mind about things with my previous control customization.

I realized that I do short hops more consistently with the X button than the L/R button, so I ended up using X to jump, which ruins the whole idea of resting my right thumb on the right stick of the pro controller for aerials, and I ended up going back to "smash" on the c-stick instead of "attack", since I now mainly use the stick for pivot smashes and the occasional fair/bair. I am currently using the default controls, which feels good since I no longer lose horribly when I forget to pick my profile before starting a match.

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
I have one more idea for customizing controls with Shulk:
Setting special attacks to "up" on the D-pad...
I know it sounds weird, but this helps counter one of my most common SDs.
I still use B for airslash, backslash and counters, but I use up on the D-pad for switching monado art when I am being knocked out of the level and quickly have to switch from shield to jump. This helps me, because I subconsciously DI or move towards the stage when knocked to the side, which ends up in me doing a backslash suicide when I need to quickly get out of shield art or enable jump art. This weird setup makes me move my left thumb to the D-pad while disabling my monado art, which prevents me from moving the left stick and doing a backslash.

The up-taunt can be moved to left/right on the d-pad, or just removed, since "Shulk time" isn't really feeling it.
I have only tested this a few times, and I haven't gotten fully used to it yet.
Would love some feedback on this if anyone actually bothers to try it out.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
For some quirky control bindings, setting the D-pad directions as multiple inputs like attack & jump help mash out of grabs & command grabs much faster than you would regularly mashing your controller's buttons alone. So here's some bindings:

Mashing on the WiiU: feat. MArt Canceling during hit-stun
:GCDpad: directions:
▲ = jump
▼ = attack
◄ = specials
► = specials
------------------------
A = attack
B = specials
X = jump
Y = jump

I have ◄ & ► set to specials because it helps out two things: mashing (duh) & canceling a MArt as fast as you possibly can. You could also set every D-pad direction to specials to help de-activate the MArt as humanly possible as you can without factoring controller exploits like the Turbo option. Though that won't be as needed if you're already rapidly pressing B 3x to cancel it on your own, so just setting the D-pad mashing controls to inputs like attack, jump, specials, & leave one taunt remaining if you need to taunt.

Last edited:

Zacko

Smash Cadet
You could also set every D-pad direction to specials to help de-activate the MArt as humanly possible.
I like this idea :grin: Also, alternating between pressing the D-pad and pressing B should be pretty efficient, since you use both thumbs instead of just one.

EDIT: Actually, I just tested this, and I am having some trouble "art-mashing" with multiple buttons. It seems that I have to let go of one button before pressing the next, so just spinning my thumb around the d-pad with all directions set to special does not produce very good results.

I can switch arts a little bit faster than normal by very quickly tapping one d-pad direction and b, but it will skip some inputs if I do it too fast or release the button too slowly.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I like this idea :grin: Also, alternating between pressing the D-pad and pressing B should be pretty efficient, since you use both thumbs instead of just one.

EDIT: Actually, I just tested this, and I am having some trouble "art-mashing" with multiple buttons. It seems that I have to let go of one button before pressing the next, so just spinning my thumb around the d-pad with all directions set to special does not produce very good results.

I can switch arts a little bit faster than normal by very quickly tapping one d-pad direction and b, but it will skip some inputs if I do it too fast or release the button too slowly.
Ah I'll need to mess around with the D-pad some more then. Mostly what I did was just use the D-pad to mash with, & spam the B button to help mash cancel the Art as you're being thrown, or as you break free from the grab. I don't think the MArt will cancel itself during the grab-release but it might. Again I'll have to mess with it more, I could swore Specials set as ◄ & ► helped immensely, but just one direction set as Specials being up as you mentioned, that's good to hear. As long as the MArts cancel much quicker is what helps avoid being combo'd when having an Art on like say Shield, or Jump / Buster.

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
C-Stick - Normal Attack
This works really well with Shulk because of awesome tilts and aerials, but Smash can be preferred.

X, B, X, Y, ZL and ZR is really up to your personal pref. I use attack on A and specials on X and never use Y or B.
L & R - Jump & shield. Having jump on L or R is the best part of the controller setup for me.
Check out the thread "Most efficient controller setup? In-depth look." in Competitive Discussions for more information.
(I can't post links yet, sorry)
This is a really good idea. Shulk's smashes have more use than Ganon's Utilt, but not that much. They'll get you damaged and killed all the same though.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
When I tried setting the R-stick to Attack, it wouldn't work. At all. 50% of the time when I pressed it, nothing would happen, and the other 50% and would be super delayed. Setting it to Smash works though... Why?

I use Classic Controller Pro by the way (gotta get into that Xenoblade spirit)

M-Z

Smash Rookie
When I tried setting the R-stick to Attack, it wouldn't work. At all. 50% of the time when I pressed it, nothing would happen, and the other 50% and would be super delayed. Setting it to Smash works though... Why?

I use Classic Controller Pro by the way (gotta get into that Xenoblade spirit)
Same thing happens to me using the wii u pro controller, it only happens on tilts for some reason and not when it's set to smash V('.')V

Theberzerker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0803-5110
I use c-stick set to attack. I feel like most of the time I can jump off edge and Dair safely without inadvertently fastfalling, anyone else feel this?

One problem I have is when I platform drop and try and areal exactly afterwards, they all become Nair for me with the C-stick, is there any solution to this?

I'm a bit iffy on the Control Bindings thread still being brought up. You can continue that discussion here on the social or continue it on this thread. The RPG thread can stay though, I guess since I don't want too be boring :p

So I might lock this thread unless everyone here starts screaming at me not to close it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom