• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Basics Guide

ShowTime6Fro

Smash Rookie
This is mainly just all of the things I've noticed that I hope might help some other Shulk mains out there so without further adieu.

Shulk

Shulk is a great character because of his access to range, power, and speed. His Monado Arts make him a diverse character due to the properties they hold. His aerial movement, off stage game, and ground game get major improvements due to these Arts, but which ones are best catering to these attributes of his
character.

Monado Arts

His Monado Arts are the most important part of his play style and the most fun. The Arts are selected by pressing the b button any number of times until the symbol that represents the Art you want will appear above your head, and after about a half a second to a second it will be selected. One thing to note is that his arts can be canceled by pressing the b button three times, but once you use an art it can't be used again for while so be aware of the art that you pick. With that little bit of knowledge, let’s go over the basics.

Jump:

Increase - Higher Jumps

Decrease - Lower Defense

His Jump Art is incredible for recovery and allows for a bit of boost when it comes to off game stage safety. You can go practically anywhere and still make it back safely to stage. It increases his aerial mobility as well as makes him lighter. It can be used on stage as a tool to evade, but that can be risky as his Defense is lowered so he is taking a lot more damage so you have to be careful when you use this on stage.

Speed:

Increase - Faster Movement

Decrease - Lower Jumps, Weaker Attacks

The Speed Art is a great option to use in neutral because of how much easier it is to move in and out of your opponents range. It allows you to run in and attack as seen fit for the situation. And, with the weakness of lower jumps you can now do auto canceled aerials close to the ground. It is a really great Art but, like with all the Arts, timing is everything. ( In my personal opinion this is the second best of the Arts, behind Smash, because it is versatile and viable at all percents, but that is only my opinion.)

Shield:

Increase - Higher Defense

Decrease - Lower Jumps, Weaker Attacks, Slower Movement

This Art is probably one that you will use the least in most of your match-ups, but it still is viable as a tool. Mainly you would use it when you are close to death, the 90 -110% percent range would be most optimal for when to activate Shield. Be wary of the lower jumps though because that affects his recovery, so if you get caught up off stage you can pretty much get killed easy. The only real utility of it is to prevent death, so far, so don’t try and use it at 0% because that is just a waste of an Art (again in my opinion).

Buster:

Increase - Stronger Attacks

Decrease - Weaker Launch Ability, Lower Defense

Buster Art (the combo Art should actually be its name) is the third best Art out of the five. It is best used with down tilt and uptilt because those are his fastest moves and with the lack of knockback they now set up for follow-ups. F-air and N-air are also good moves to use because they can set up for more grounded follow-ups. Don’t use this when your opponent is getting close to the 90 % range because at this point it would be better to just space and then set up for a kill move.

Smash:

Increase - Stronger Launch Ability

Decrease - Weaker Attacks, Lower Launch Resistance, Lower Defense

Smash Art is probably the best of the Arts because it’s great for revenge kill and killing in general, and in a game where kill options are treasured it definitely helps Shulk get up the tier list. The Smash Art is better activated around the 95 - 120 % range because, reasonably, this is where most characters die, with the exception of those extra heavy characters (ex. Bowser). Now, even though it’s boost is very good, its nerfs require attention. If you get caught in a bad position while changing to this Art at high percents, you are likely to die right there, so be careful with this and make sure to get the set up first before switching.

It is also imperative to note that the different arts are SITUATIONAL AS HECK. I have only given the main usage for the arts so remember to be creative.

Moves:

Now that the main mechanic of Shulk has been addressed let’s move onto his moveset.

Neutral Air:

One of his best aerials by far, why you might ask, well here is the reason. Shulk’s N-Air can combo into itself at low percents with a short hop fast fall auto cancel, or short hop auto cancel. It’s hit boxes also work well as a good edgegard because the the start to the top of the animation send the target forward. It also works well when people are directly behind/underneath you because the animation starts behind/underneath Shulk. In conjunction with the Speed art you can approach with short hop N-Air and D-Tilt after for a follow up or roll back if they are shielding to avoid a possible punish.

Forward Air:

Shulk’s F-Air is a very good kill move off stage and acts as an anti-approach/pressure tool. The range on it is extremely safe, when maximized. It can also gimp characters easily by doing a run off F-Air, and when combined with the Smash Art it will send opponents to far off to recover. However, it has a lot of lag when it is not auto-canceled within the startup of the animation so be aware that it can be punished. Something important to note is the area it covers. F-Air reaches above and below him, these are also the start and end points respectively so you can use F-Air to hit someone just below or just above you.

Back Air:

It is so hard to be a Shulk main when he can watch his own back in an instant. Shulk’s B-Air is an excellent kill move and has a good reverse hitbox to that means he has a line of death when you use his B-Air, but (because there is always a catch) it comes out very slow which makes it difficult to use close to the ground and also harder to hit off stage. You have to predict where they are going to be off stage in order to hit it and on stage it is only good to use as a tool to catch your opponent off guard.

Down Air:

This is by far one of the better D-Airs I’ve seen solely because it is the only one I can hit more than once (sad boys), but aside from that it is a spike when sweet spotted (which I believe is the second hit at the bottom/middle of the sword) and can also send outward when the side of the hitbox is used. Other than that it doesn’t have much other utility on stage and it is too laggy to do out of shield and is definitely not a good approach option, so for the time being use it as an off the stage kill move or edge guard.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt:

F-Tilt is an edgeguard and a good tool to catch rolls as well. In conjunction with the Smash art it can be a good kill move. Pivot F-Tilt is good to mix up on people that like are coming down from the air. It is a laggy move so don’t go for two consecutively because you will only get grabbed or hit with some sort of punish.

Up Tilt:

His best tilt by far because of how often Shulk can get people above him. It also can catch people standing in front of him because of its hitbox which intern set’s up for another U-Tilt. U-Tilt is also a exceptional anti-air because of it’s hitbox, but in neutral this is undoubtedly unsafe so don’t even try to use it in neutral. On platform stages, like battlefield, U-Tilt can cover the whole platform making it an even better move.

Down Tilt:

D-Tilt is a good option to shield poke and can also be used after a fast falling aerial follow up, but don’t do it on shield too often because it can be punished with anything out of shield. That aside, D-Tilt can be used as an edge guard tool against telegraphed recovery or for people that hang on the ledge to long. In conjunction with the Buster Art you can follow up D-Tilt with an aerial, namely F-Air or N-Air. You could possibly follow up with F-Tilt or Dash Attack but I’ve never tried those.

Standard Moves:

Dash Attack:

Dash Attack is not that good of a move because of how telegraphed it is and how easy it is to punish. It only has two good uses which are, sending off stage and a mix up approach. Dash Attack does have good enough launch power to set up for an edge guard position and if you constantly approach with (for example) F-Air or N-Air you could try to fake them out with a tomahawk or just straight up approach (just giving ideas, though they might not be the best).

Jab and Jab combo:

Jab on it’s own is only good against bad approach options like sonic’s spin-dash (which is interrupted by pretty much everything). But, his Jab combo is relatively good, as far as follow-ups go. If you use the Buster Art with his Jab Combo then you can follow up guaranteed, at mid to high percents. These follow-ups are only guaranteed on characters that don't float out of your jab range. Characters like Jigglypuff won't give you much of a follow up because they float to far away.

Grab and Throws:

Shulk’s grab range is average in comparison to other grabs but it is still pretty good, and his grab out of shield is a great option to counter approaches. Shulk gets follow ups out of his down throw and up throw at low percents and his forward and back throw at the ledge set up for easy edge guards. Apart from true follow ups you can apply pressure from a throw by faking a follow up. One way to do this is to run in the direction of you opponents trajectory and simply stand there. This can set you up to bait out an air dodge and then punish with an F-Smash, or when you get under them shield and wait for a counter attack, then grab out of shield and get another throw. Other than that his options out of his throws most of the time are limited.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash:

One thing that is important to understand is that Shulk’s F-Smash has two hits. When it comes to F-Smash you have to space it just right to maximize damage and knockback. Since F-Smash has two hits each hit has it’s own value. The first hit has slight knockback and is mainly is used to give enough hit stun to allow the second hit to connect, but if you hit with the top of the hitbox it will send the target just far enough up to make them avoid the second hit. If you use the tip hitbox on the first hit the second hit will be less effective and doesn't give the best results. If you hit in the optimal spot with the first hitbox, the best hit on the first hitbox is around the middle of the sword, then you will get the best knock back on the second hit usually killing at around 120~130%, and with the Smash Art it will kill much more solidly at around 115%. Now the second hit is much stronger than the first and has all of the knockback. This hit is the blue beam that comes out of the sword. All of the hits that you could get will either kill or set up for a kill off stage at high percents. And since it is it’s own hit that has better range than the first, you could hit just the second hit while edge guarding. In general, F-Smash is good for edge guarding and is Shulk’s best kill move.

Down Smash:

D-Smash is only good for reads and roll spammers, because of how laggy it is at the end, similar to Roy’s D-Smash. It's kill potential is lacking, but I do not want this to discourage all of you out there from using it. It has good range and just like any move there is a time and a place, it is just up to the user to decide when that is. That aside it has a lot of range and is still a good utility, but not a good kill move.

Up Smash:

U-Smash is situational for reads, high recovery, or people that don’t know how to D.I. (Vector) Up throws. It has good kill power on most characters at around 115%. It is a good kill move and it has as much range as Melee Marth’s, or at least close to. Now U-Smash has two hitboxes and if the first one hits the second one is guaranteed to hit and if you miss the first it doesn’t matter. The first hit is solely to set up for the second, it gives no knockback but still does damage.

Specials:

Neutral Special:

I already explained this in the beginning so scroll up to the top to see it but just to reiterate, every Art is situational so I would recommend being creative.

Side Special:

The Backslash (a.k.a. Side Special) is unique in it’s properties because it is more effective when done behind an opponent rather than in front. It also is slightly longer than people realize and can catch people off guard. The best way I think this move should be used as an edge guard tool or for a safe way back to stage. It is good for edge guarding because of how long it is and it provides a punish for missed sweet spots. I know I said it was a good tool to get back on stage but don’t use it all the time because it is easy to punish. Also, don’t do it too high above the stage because then it is too telegraphed, it is truly just a mix up.

Up Special:
Shulk's Up-B is good to use for both recovery, more dominantly, and at high percents killing, in conjunction (most often) with the Smash Art. It is similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash in the sense that it (on its own) doesn't have much horizontal movement, but vertically, especially when used with the jump or speed art, Shulk's Up-B becomes much better. One thing that is important to state is that Shulk's Up-B has two hits, the first is the initial vertical slash. It has good range on it's hit box and, unless you are directly under the stage, will not auto sweet spot like many other Up-B's. The second hit is initiated by pressing the B button again after the first Up-B input is done. This second hit gives you an extra boost upward and/or forward, but the best part of the second hit lies in it's range and knock back. It has great reach and can cover your butt when your coming back to the stage. It doesn't start killing until around 140% on most characters (by itself), but it does send them far enough away to allow you to, at low percent, grab ledge and get back on stage fine, but at high percent (like 120) it sends opponents to the other side of stage which gives you a good amount of time to collect yourself and set up your Monado Arts or try to get some sort of run down follow-up.

Down Special:

Shulk’s Down Special is a counter, but it is a little different than most. Shulk’s counter has a range to it that is quite deceptive. The counter generates a blue field in which the target, if they hit Shulk directly, will get hit, but his counter is so big, because of the range of his sword, that people outside the blue field will still get hit. But, it also has a second "form" that can be committed by holding forward in the direction Shulk gets hit. This second form is much faster than the first and can kill fairly well. It also last for a long time so people who think you are out of the counter frames are sorely mistaken. But, don't be allured by such sweet words, because the more you use it in succession (within 10 seconds of the the last counter) the lower the frames you can use counter drop, but it is not a continuous decline, at least not to my testing/knowledge, and it's full glory will be returned within 18 seconds( if you spam).

The End:

So ultimately Shulk is going to require a little bit of creativity in order to use him properly. He is also going to need basic fundamentals like spacing in order to be most effective, and with that I hope that I help any Shulk mains out there understand the character just a little bit better if even at all. Thank you for your time, leave questions in the comments and if I don’t someone else will answer them. I will also update this information when ever I can to help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Not a bad guide. However, you missed a few things for the Monado Arts. Jump also decreases Shulk's weight, and gives him much higher air speed, as well as more gravity. It would be good to mention that it's one of his two arts that don't reduce damage, and since it gives so much more control, it's fairly good on stage. But you should definitely mention that it's amazing at edgeguarding. You can swoop down anywehre off-stage to edgeguard and still make it back, and you can even chase someone way up to the upper corners.

Smash reduces his defense as one of the downsides, as well.

It would also be good to mention that F-tilt can be a KO move with Smash, and even without it at higher percents near the ledge.

And for FSmash, I have to say I'm not really understanding what you were saying. You mentioned hitboxes (first-third) but it wasn't very well illustrated. Are you saying the hitbox closest to Shulk is the 'tip' like Marth? Because Marth's not a very good example as it's the extreme opposite, as Shulk's tipped FSmash is the weakest. Against Marth (middle-average weight in the game), 120% with Smash will KO him cleanly from the complete opposite side of the stage, not even just from the middle. Who did you test your numbers on?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
you should add that jump lets you chase safely for kills

Fyrus

Smash Rookie
I don't exactly get why you say you can't cancel his arts, pressing B thrice cancels an art

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
\
Shulk is, at first glance, a character with a big sword and a lot of range. Who does this sound like to you … if you said Melee Marth that is correct. If you like Marth in Melee Shulk is like a Smash 4 Variation of Marth in the sense that he has range, speed, and power, just like Marth. You even have to play his spacing similar to Marth’s. Now, why do I say this, I want all the readers to keep this in mind while reading because Shulk plays very similar to Marth in terms of spacing and kill options.
I really disagree with comparing him to Marth. When I first started playing Shulk, I tried to play him like Marth (since Marth was the sword user I had the most experience with), and it just DID NOT work. Really, I think the absolute worst thing you can do while playing as Shulk trying things you would do as Marth. You're going to get punished, and you're going to get punished HARD. Shulk is a very defense oriented character, whereas Marth (I believe) applies a lot of offensive pressure. Even Speed!Shulk, while probably the most offensive of his stances, shouldn't be played like Marth due to the slowness of his attacks. Also, like others have mentioned, Shulk's sweetspot is literally the opposite of Marth, being at the base instead of the tip.

If you NEED to compare him to someone else, Ike is a bit better. Marth is just so massively different from Shulk that even if there are SOME things that are similar, mentally, you need to think of Marth and Shulk as completely separate or you're not going to do well.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
^
If anything, Shulk's hit-box properties are similar to that of Roy the most. Most of Shulk's move-set is familiar to Ike, & perhaps a few moves are resembling of Marth. But yeah, I wouldn't claim Marth & Shulk as similar characters. MArts really separate him from the entire cast. Buster & Smash can kind of be compared to Lucario's Aura mechanic in a sense, but they're still totally different. His Specials besides Air Slash like Marth's Dolphin Slash, aren't like anyone's else that come to mind.

MHFsilver

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2878-9786-7166
Very helpful guide. I'll be sure to mention this if someone asks me for some info on using Shulk.

ShowTime6Fro

Smash Rookie
I really disagree with comparing him to Marth. When I first started playing Shulk, I tried to play him like Marth (since Marth was the sword user I had the most experience with), and it just DID NOT work. Really, I think the absolute worst thing you can do while playing as Shulk trying things you would do as Marth. You're going to get punished, and you're going to get punished HARD. Shulk is a very defense oriented character, whereas Marth (I believe) applies a lot of offensive pressure. Even Speed!Shulk, while probably the most offensive of his stances, shouldn't be played like Marth due to the slowness of his attacks. Also, like others have mentioned, Shulk's sweetspot is literally the opposite of Marth, being at the base instead of the tip.

If you NEED to compare him to someone else, Ike is a bit better. Marth is just so massively different from Shulk that even if there are SOME things that are similar, mentally, you need to think of Marth and Shulk as completely separate or you're not going to do well.
I agree completely, after playing him more, playing him like Marth is not helping at all. Thank you very much for your feed back

I don't exactly get why you say you can't cancel his arts, pressing B thrice cancels an art
I actually didn't know that lol. Thank you very much for the information.

Last edited:

ShowTime6Fro

Smash Rookie
Not a bad guide. However, you missed a few things for the Monado Arts. Jump also decreases Shulk's weight, and gives him much higher air speed, as well as more gravity. It would be good to mention that it's one of his two arts that don't reduce damage, and since it gives so much more control, it's fairly good on stage. But you should definitely mention that it's amazing at edgeguarding. You can swoop down anywehre off-stage to edgeguard and still make it back, and you can even chase someone way up to the upper corners.

Smash reduces his defense as one of the downsides, as well.

It would also be good to mention that F-tilt can be a KO move with Smash, and even without it at higher percents near the ledge.

And for FSmash, I have to say I'm not really understanding what you were saying. You mentioned hitboxes (first-third) but it wasn't very well illustrated. Are you saying the hitbox closest to Shulk is the 'tip' like Marth? Because Marth's not a very good example as it's the extreme opposite, as Shulk's tipped FSmash is the weakest. Against Marth (middle-average weight in the game), 120% with Smash will KO him cleanly from the complete opposite side of the stage, not even just from the middle. Who did you test your numbers on?
Thank you for helping me gain more accurate and helpful information first of all, adjustments were made immediately. My tests were done on characters like Lucario which, in heinsight, was a bad way to test (should have used more characters with varying weight classes). Never the less, thank you for you input.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
I enjoy Shulk, and this was pretty informative.

One thing I felt should be mentioned is an aspect of Shulks Back-Throw. While it usually throws the opponent too far for a real follow up, this throw will ALWAYS turn your opponent away from you. So after every Back-Throw, the back of your opponent will be facing you each time. This sometimes sets up an opportunity to Back Slash your opponent for epic damage and knockback if they don't fix it in time. It can also limit their ability to counter your follow up since they only have access to their Bair AND they're moving away from you (until they turn themselves around)

There may be other ways to leverage this aspect as well.... my research continues.

When it comes to Shulks Jab combo, I view it a lot like Ike's jab combo; giving a quick way to continue an assault and a good way to rack up damage.

I don't know if I entirely agree with the view on Shulks Dsmash. It is by far the widest range, and carries an over-time hitbox. Many times I've had people run right into it, or release their shield, after the first swipe thinking it's over (as it usually is with other characters' Dsmash).

You should also discuss the difference between Shulks "Forward Vision" and Regular Vision to the post.

Also, why is there nothing on Shulk's UpB?

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Shulks jab combo doesn't link reliably on light characters like jigglypuff...

ShowTime6Fro

Smash Rookie
I enjoy Shulk, and this was pretty informative.

One thing I felt should be mentioned is an aspect of Shulks Back-Throw. While it usually throws the opponent too far for a real follow up, this throw will ALWAYS turn your opponent away from you. So after every Back-Throw, the back of your opponent will be facing you each time. This sometimes sets up an opportunity to Back Slash your opponent for epic damage and knockback if they don't fix it in time. It can also limit their ability to counter your follow up since they only have access to their Bair AND they're moving away from you (until they turn themselves around)

There may be other ways to leverage this aspect as well.... my research continues.

When it comes to Shulks Jab combo, I view it a lot like Ike's jab combo; giving a quick way to continue an assault and a good way to rack up damage.

I don't know if I entirely agree with the view on Shulks Dsmash. It is by far the widest range, and carries an over-time hitbox. Many times I've had people run right into it, or release their shield, after the first swipe thinking it's over (as it usually is with other characters' Dsmash).

You should also discuss the difference between Shulks "Forward Vision" and Regular Vision to the post.

Also, why is there nothing on Shulk's UpB?
Thank you for the feed back first and fore most, and thanks for the tips. In regards to his counters I have done more research on them and will probably add more to that section immediatly, and I had honestly total missed the Up B which is dumb on my part because in terms of recovery and kill potential it is kind of important.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Shulks jab combo doesn't link reliably on light characters like jigglypuff...
This is definitely worth noting. I was playing today trying to jab a pretty good Jigglypuff player, and I was whiffing the third hit of that jab combo every single time. I thought MAYBE it would hit if I racked on just a bit more damage, but I wound up disappointed and punished after pretty much every one.

Edit - let me clarify. On non-crouching Jiggs. When Jiggs crouches, the first and second hits of that jab combo just flat out don't connect in the first place.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
This is definitely worth noting. I was playing today trying to jab a pretty good Jigglypuff player, and I was whiffing the third hit of that jab combo every single time. I thought MAYBE it would hit if I racked on just a bit more damage, but I wound up disappointed and punished after pretty much every one.

Edit - let me clarify. On non-crouching Jiggs. When Jiggs crouches, the first and second hits of that jab combo just flat out don't connect in the first place.
Yeah Jiggs and Kirby are like his hardest matchups for jigglys air game and kirbys along with monado usage.If I fighting them I just switch next match to Link,Little Mac or someone powerful like Bowser.

imho, Jiggs isn't really difficult. Play defensively, don't touch jump at all unless you're recovering back, use buster and shield. Especially shield even if your percentage isn't even that high because Pound wrecks shields. Space your aerials, don't grab and jab that much. Your aerials, D-tilt and U-tilt are your best moves here. I'd run hyper arts against her because of her weight and hyper smash has ridiculous KO power. If this is For Glory you're talking about, just do everything I said sans the hyper arts part. Abuse dat range. Counter her b-air

Kirby's an asshole though. I'd use the same trick against Puff except I'm waaay more cautious. I don't want Kirby to gain access to the Monado. That's basically the main threat to worry about

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Is that how you're supposed to deal with Jiggs? I swear I'm a decent player, and yet every Jigglypuff player I play on For Glory seems to be LEAGUES better than me, and I just get wrecked. It's one of my more problematic matchups with Shulk, I'd say.

Is that how you're supposed to deal with Jiggs? I swear I'm a decent player, and yet every Jigglypuff player I play on For Glory seems to be LEAGUES better than me, and I just get wrecked. It's one of my more problematic matchups with Shulk, I'd say.
Yeah. Just use your range. It's suppose to be problematic for them if anything

Of course it will be difficult if you don't take things slowly

Top Bottom