• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should use of GC controllers only be mandatory?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking about this for awhile but I can't really come to a conclusion. Back in 06 I used a Madcatz which had a similar layout with the exception that the buttons were closer together, which made it easier for me to multishine. I only ever stopped using it because the Madcatz controllers only lasted about 6 months, but I imagine that if I still used it regularly I'd be able to perform certain techs easier than I can with the regular controller. Similarly, I learned 64 on Virtual Console, so I am far better at 64 when I can use a GC controller than when I have to use a 64 controller. I bought a controller adapter that converted GC to 64, but my local TO banned it because it allowed me to SDI better than the normal 64 controller. But I'm beginning to think that I should have contested that ban. How well a controller registers input should not be allowed to limit my options and potential. The local 64 scene was fine with allowing me use what controller was most comfortable for me, but only had a problem when it became obvious that my controller was better than theirs. But at the same time, I believe that the better SDI was caused possibly by the adapter registering direction differently than the normal controller does, because I had never experienced that SDI improvement on Virtual Console, so maybe that is an unfair advantage. However, what if I think that I could perform better with a different controller, so long as it registers inputs the same? I've been thinking that the PS2 button layout and design might actually be preferable for high tech skill execution. Is having a different button layout an unfair advantage, or is the normal GC controller arbitrarily limiting my ability?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't see why it would be an issue... As long as it doesn't have any performance-enhancing features, I think any controller should be allowed. We see all kinds of different fighting pads in SF, MvC, Tekken, etc., so I don't see why Melee's controller policy should be any different.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking about this for awhile but I can't really come to a conclusion. Back in 06 I used a Madcatz which had a similar layout with the exception that the buttons were closer together, which made it easier for me to multishine. I only ever stopped using it because the Madcatz controllers only lasted about 6 months, but I imagine that if I still used it regularly I'd be able to perform certain techs easier than I can with the regular controller. Similarly, I learned 64 on Virtual Console, so I am far better at 64 when I can use a GC controller than when I have to use a 64 controller. I bought a controller adapter that converted GC to 64, but my local TO banned it because it allowed me to SDI better than the normal 64 controller. But I'm beginning to think that I should have contested that ban. How well a controller registers input should not be allowed to limit my options and potential. The local 64 scene was fine with allowing me use what controller was most comfortable for me, but only had a problem when it became obvious that my controller was better than theirs. But at the same time, I believe that the better SDI was caused possibly by the adapter registering direction differently than the normal controller does, because I had never experienced that SDI improvement on Virtual Console, so maybe that is an unfair advantage. However, what if I think that I could perform better with a different controller, so long as it registers inputs the same? I've been thinking that the PS2 button layout and design might actually be preferable for high tech skill execution. Is having a different button layout an unfair advantage, or is the normal GC controller arbitrarily limiting my ability?
The TO has every right to now allow it. SDI'ing is big in 64, and any advantage in it is on grounds for ban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpPdN2YtjQ

SDI in Smash 64 is the best DI in any smash game.

As long as inputs aren't being modified directly, notably like using turbos or macros, I don't think it could be a problem. Part of what makes certain players using certain controllers is a matter of preference. Buttons and stuff just and comfort or whatever that the players using them prefer

Although, in this case, the adapter could be affecting your inputs for SDIing. It might need to be researched to verify this theory

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I also think it should be tourny legal, GC controller barely improves SDI from 64 controller. Hell, Apex allowed Keyboard, Xbox, and GC!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I also think it should be tourny legal, GC controller barely improves SDI from 64 controller. Hell, Apex allowed Keyboard, Xbox, and GC!
Wow that's interesting. So did Apex run 64 on emulators? Because I've always found frame rate drops to be a problem on the console itself.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Wow that's interesting. So did Apex run 64 on emulators? Because I've always found frame rate drops to be a problem on the console itself.
Console only with some adapters a guy named Karajan made. Also, what frame rate drops? It ways runs at 60 FPS, unless youre talking teams. But nintendo didnt allow overclocked consoles.
(a guy brought one anyway, lmao)

Top Bottom