• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Trophies and/or Stickers Return?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Trophies were some of the best extra content in Melee/Brawl.

Stickers I can care less about, but the fact that they paid homage to less-represented parts of Nintendo characters or history in general was nice.

But Trophies should stay at all costs, because they're amazing.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I can't imagine a Smash Bros. without trophies, even if the first one didn't have them (sorta).
I have though a few complaints about what they did in Melee and Brawl.

In Melee, I basically hated all the alternative character trophies. We're talking about 54 (I think) trophies of playable characters with a different palette color which explained only the special moves. I agree on having more trophies for the same character, if it makes sense (like Mario, Dr. Mario, Paper Mario, Tanooki Mario... Not Mario and Mario 2 with Wario's clothes). Still it's true that they gave more attention on retro games which was nice.

Brawl had the good amount of trophies (which I hope is DOUBLED in Sm4sh, yes doubled) but the balance of distribution was terrible.
First, I didn't like 90% of the Subspace Emissary trophies. Aside from the fact that a lot of them were a real pain in the *** to collect, most of them sucked. Like that dude, the Arthionet, or the one who blows wind out of his mouth. We're talking about 50 trophies I think of original dudes nobody cares about.
Also, WAY TOO MANY pokémon trophies. I think it's the biggest category of all. Also, what's up with the caps lock? Why to we have "Pokémon Trainer" and "SQUIRTLE"? Never quite got that. I think there's every single starter ever, which is understandable, but it's better if they do trophies like "Generation II starters" with Totodile, Chikorita and Cyndaquil on the same stand next time, just to save two free slots. Also, their quality was really bad. I like when a trophy resembles the same kind of graphics the trophy had in the original game, but Pokémons just seem quite off and bland in Brawl. Something about the colors probably.
Kirby too had to many trophies if you ask me, especially when some other franchises like Mother, Fire Emblem and Metroid had so little. Why don't we have the Ultimate Chimera trophy? It even appears in New Pork City. Where is Mother Brain? It's like they don't want to show her because she's creepy as hell. Meh.
And finally, what happened to Sonic? Jet and Silver? Seriously? Blaze? What about giving the franchise some good trophies next time?
Something I would like for the next time:
- more trophies of stages or places in the franchise
- animated trophies, you tap A and the trophy makes a little animation, maybe even a sound
- just get rid of that mode in which you can put trophies and then make a picture of them, I think nobody really used that
- maybe they can make possible to switch trophies via online, pokémon-style.
- maybe something like a new trophy every day, how hard can it be? Like Level-5 does with Layton's puzzles.

About stickers, I kinda liked them. Sure they're cheap and all but some of them are good to look at. They're a pain in the *** to collect (I got to 697), so maybe a little easier next time, but they can stay.
Trophies are the priority though. C'mon they're relatively easy to make, just give me a whole bunch of them and I'm happy.
I don't agree with everything you said but you have some valid good points. Some trophies seems blatant advertisement and other ones just suck my ****.
Some poses and some groupshots look like so random, as well as some subjects picking. I guess they had a precise number of trophies to display and so they efforted to fill that and not going over it.
I personally didn't dislike the diorama thing. But if they decide to remove it instead of getting it better I think I can live with that. As well as that saved amount of memory is spent for the Stage builder. And speaking of that, I'd love if the trophies could be turned into monocromatic statues and used as stage element.
Also: I'd like the trophies of the playable characters to have a trigger for all their coloration in the game.
I'd like the trophies being more related to the game, and not just to THEIR game. What I mean is every trophy subject has to appear somewhere in the game, in the background or in the story mode.
Story mode: I liked the idea of characters being turned into their trophies, but this time I'd like to see their pose justified by the fact they have been frozen when they were like that. Which actually happened for just a few of the characters in the game.
For example I'd like to see Captain Falcon frozen while he was performing his FALCON PUNCH, with the fire hawk surrounding his fist.
Animated trophies? I dunno! It sounds too memory hogging.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
i could care less about stickers.

It was cool however that a bunch of d-list Nintendo characters got a bit of the lime light

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

I think I'd like a sticker for each one of them, with a function related to the char.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Trophies? Yes. Stickers? No. Stickers are nothing more than a way to lazily include cameos without putting any effort into research or model making.
Earthbound still had too few trophies

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They both are the collectable (optional) parts of the game for people who have an urgency to collect them all. They also inform people of Nintendo's history (And Konami's and Sega's :awesome:). This was quite an unnecessary topic.

D

Deleted member

I prefer trophies because they give background info about certain character or item. Stickers don't. They're just used to upgrade your character in Subspace Emissary. Getting the entire sticker collection is really time consuming because you get same sticker over again.

Brawl Mains::sheik: :snake: :dedede:
Secondary Mains: :link2: :pit:
Former Mains: :fox:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Trophies? Absolutely! Stickers? Sure just let us stick them somewhere interesting like mixing and matching them to make our own unique emblems when playing online.

As for new ideas give us portraits and dioramas! Beautiful paintings, hand drawings, 2D or 3D rendered pictures and full on Donkey Kong Country Returns style dioramas. The dioramas can depict key scenes within the particular series. Imagine a beautifully painted picture of Donkey Kong punching out Kaptian K Rool from his flying croc copter thing.

Pictures and/or dioramas depicting the following in a completely different style would be amazing:

-Final blow on Ganandorf in the Wind Waker.
-Mario's "first" meeting with Yoshi in SMW.
-Star Fox VS Star Wolf on Venom
-Samus frolicking with the 2 Chozo from her drawing.
-Kirby and DDD going at it in the ring.
-Olimar with a huge army of pikmin facing off against Louie stuck to that scary symbiotic spider monster.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I prefer trophies because they give background info about certain character or item. Stickers don't. They're just used to upgrade your character in Subspace Emissary. Getting the entire sticker is really time consuming because you get same sticker over again.

Brawl Mains::sheik: :snake: :dedede:
Secondary Mains: :link2:
Former Mains: :fox:
I agree. Stickers should be improved by every matter, description included. I prefer trophies too thought, but with so many characters from Nintendo, Pacman, Sonic and Snake's universe, not all of them can get one, and I think even minor chars deserve a mention, somehow.
For the "you get same sticker over again" issue I think a trading shop could be the solution: You trade the stickers you don't want for money, even thought you need to sell many satickers for one coin. Same with trophies you have too many copies of.
Or you trade stickers and trophies online with friends.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Trophies should stay for sure, they were around since the first game so of course they should, I don't know about the stickers, though they were kinda helpful for SSE.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Eyup! They actually were helpful in SSE. Thought this time it would be a nice idea if you can rotate them like RL stickers.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Animated Trophies wouldn't be a stretch since in Kid Icarus: Uprising there are Idols, which are exactly the same thing as the SSB Trophies, but they all had animations. Do I have to say that KIU is on the 3DS and has some of the best looking graphics on the console?

I'm not saying it will happen, but it's highly possible.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Animated Trophies wouldn't be a stretch since in Kid Icarus: Uprising there are Idols, which are exactly the same thing as the SSB Trophies, but they all had animations. Do I have to say that KIU is on the 3DS and has some of the best looking graphics on the console?

I'm not saying it will happen, but it's highly possible.
Agree, even though I would prefer an animation executed by pressing a button than a trophy which moves without stopping. Maybe with a little sound effect.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
Trophies are classic and are obviously staying, however stickers were pretty boring and i would much rather have some more trophies than stickers at all

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It would be neat if they replaced the stickers with a full blown art gallery, showing concept and finalized art from many Nintendo games across the years.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
It would be neat if they replaced the stickers with a full blown art gallery, showing concept and finalized art from many Nintendo games across the years.
Or both: The game provides you with an album with all the Nintendo's history, but it has only textless pages with silouettes. You need to get the stickers to fill the silouettes and unlock the related paragraphs.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Trophies need to return but stickers should be cut. They came off to me as cheaper trophies and I never used them.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
The stickers felt useless especially power up ones. They didn't help much especially on the intense difficult because it gave you less chances to enjoy the sticker effects on that character due to the ridicious damage and knockback the enemies attacks had.

Yes for both trophies and stickers, good way of repping what isn't playable.

But make the stickers just like the trophies, with bios and whatnot.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I don't see why trophies would go. They're perfectly fine.

Stickers could be hard to obtain cosmetic changes for characters who didn't make the cut. Nothing too serious like a full model change, but a weapon/attack visual change (I.E: Marth's sword and Mario's fireball).

Top Bottom