• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the USA be the policemen of the world?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Well, not "just" because we have the resources. I don't believe that Americans would be in favor of, say, a war of conquest for personal profit, or a blatant massacre of civilians. The point is that the government can't act with impunity, and that most Americans will flip out if they see us genociding peeps or stuff like that.
I can understand this.

But I don't think that the U.S. is ready to be "policeman of the world." Compared to other countries/nations, we are rather young and have much to learn.

Rather a group of nations/countries, like the UN, should be the "policeman." This would ensure equal power to all nations involved and theoretically a larger military because of the wealth of the nations pooled together. Of course this wealth would only be used for a common purpose - for being the "policeman of the world" and "enforcing universal moral laws on a global scale in the broadest sense."

Battlecow

Play to Win
Well, this seems like a good idea, which is why we tried it out- but international politicking gets in the way of the U.N.'s effectiveness. Look at Russia and China today- not condemning Syria's actions because of political ****. Look at how well the U.N. handled Rwanda. Whatever organization does the policing needs to be able to make decisions and enforce consequences other than just "disapproving" of a country (as if that had any effect).

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
And since it's [having a group of countries be in charge of policing] a better idea then having one country be the "policeman," that's why the U.S. shouldn't be the "policemen of the world" by themselves.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
?

See my last post.
I read it.

But just because it didn't work the first time doesn't mean we should give up. The other problem, which you have mentioned, is politics. Countries in the group must not be swayed by certain political motivations. And like you said, the group needs to be able to make the right decisions and enforce them even though they will probably be frowned upon and possibly even hated.

Even though it probably isn't formal, this reminds me of the Dark Knight, lol. (The part where Alfred reminds Bruce that Batman has to be more than a superhero. "Even if everyone hates him for it, that's a sacrifice he's making. He's not being a hero. He's being something more.")

I don't believe the U.S., right now at least, can fulfill these requirements.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Batman is exactly what we shouldn't model our justice system on. He's outside the law, bound only by his own conscience. We need a policeman who's answerable to the people and trustworthy.

But that aside, it's impossible to make a group like the U.N. work. We've tried, we failed. Why would it work better in the future? And how do you make countries stop politicking? Can't be done.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Batman is exactly what we shouldn't model our justice system on. He's outside the law, bound only by his own conscience. We need a policeman who's answerable to the people and trustworthy.

But that aside, it's impossible to make a group like the U.N. work. We've tried, we failed. Why would it work better in the future? And how do you make countries stop politicking? Can't be done.
I'm not saying we should model our justice system on a masked vigilante. It's the quote I admired. The "policeman" though hated, would still have to be able to do what is right.

And it certainly isn't impossible to make a group like the U.N. work. You assume that just because we haven't done it makes it impossible.

Also, could you please define politicking?

Battlecow

Play to Win
At the risk of overusing a quote:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Einstein

What changes would you make to the UN to make it practicable? You can't just say "try again and it'll work," because if that were the case, it would have worked last time.

Stop asking me for definitions. You do know how to perform a google search, don't you? Politicking is just practicing politics; I guess it involves an element of putting petty political disputes above real-world problems, in the sense I'm using it in.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
At the risk of overusing a quote:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

-Einstein

What changes would you make to the UN to make it practicable? You can't just say "try again and it'll work," because if that were the case, it would have worked last time.

Stop asking me for definitions. You do know how to perform a google search, don't you? Politicking is just practicing politics; I guess it involves an element of putting petty political disputes above real-world problems, in the sense I'm using it in.
Obviously I have no expertise in making world organizations useful or efficient. And I ask for definitions because I see, all too often, people arguing over something, and they have different definitions for the same word.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So you have no expertise in making world organizations useful or efficient, and the people who do have said expertise failed miserably the last time they tried and show no inclination towards trying again, but you still think that they should give it another shot and hope for the best?

Doesn't work.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So you concede the argument?

Also, I'd just like to point out this post I directed at Jumpman a week ago:

Look, helpful hint here- the best way to get out of this with dignity mostly intact is just to not post in this thread anymore.
Get at me.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
So you concede the argument?

Also, I'd just like to point out this post I directed at Jumpman a week ago:

Get at me.
Seems like not to many people like you... But I was saying "yes" to the U.N. to again try to actually be a world power.

History shows us the dictatorships don't work. I can only keep coming back to abuse of power so many times.

B Link

Smash Lord
I think I've stated my positions quite clearly. But yes, our powerful military is one of the main reasons why we should police the world.
Your reasons (?):
- the U.S. is prosperous
- the U.S. has a powerful military

I merely skimmed over all of your other posts so sorry if I didn't see your other reasons. What other reasons do you have?

I want to raise the obvious objection to the "powerful military" argument. Sorry if it is redundant or has been previously mentioned as it probably has:
- total military force does not equate to a greater chance of success in "policing"/preventing things like genocide, war, or abuse from dictators in failed states because there are simply too many barriers/complications that do not allow for a solution that can be fixed with pure military force.

It is too easy to cite examples. I can refer to many but I'll start with Rwanda. Rwanda is an obvious failure to cite where complications regarding:...
1. the delay of acknowledging genocide
2. how to deploy troops most efficiently
...resulted in an overall failure that even the assistance of a satisfactory/more than satisfactory military force (i.e. the U.S.'s full supoprt) would not have been able to resolve.

My general stance on the topic question of the thread is on a slightly different avenue than "the U.S./X country has no business in other countries" stance, namely the following:

The benchmark of "policeman of the world" is an impossible benchmark for the U.S. or any other state/institution to ever achieve because of barriers/complications that simply do not allow for anything of the sort to be possible.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Rwanda is a perfect example of the uselessness of the UN. If the US had taken action, **** could have been prevented. Instead, we let the UN handle it.

You seem to be saying that it's impossible to perfectly police the world. OK, granted- but shouldn't we even try? When we see injustice/genocide/whatever, shouldn't we go over there and try to save whoever we can? In a lot of cases (Libya, both World Wars) military power is exactly what's needed. If there are problems we can't solve (and there are a lot of those) we do what we can with what we have, and of course we accept help from whoever can offer it. In my mind, the primary role of the US in cases of "crimes" on an international level or "crimes" against humanity throughout history gives us the title of "policeman," but I'm not wedded to that word; perhaps it's a bit strong. Perhaps we're merely the leader of policing efforts?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Rwanda is a perfect example of the uselessness of the UN. If the US had taken action, **** could have been prevented. Instead, we let the UN handle it.

You seem to be saying that it's impossible to perfectly police the world. OK, granted- but shouldn't we even try? When we see injustice/genocide/whatever, shouldn't we go over there and try to save whoever we can? In a lot of cases (Libya, both World Wars) military power is exactly what's needed. If there are problems we can't solve (and there are a lot of those) we do what we can with what we have, and of course we accept help from whoever can offer it. In my mind, the primary role of the US in cases of "crimes" on an international level or "crimes" against humanity throughout history gives us the title of "policeman," but I'm not wedded to that word; perhaps it's a bit strong. Perhaps we're merely the leader of policing efforts?
I have no problem with the U.S. trying to help other nations and/or accept help from other nations. But being policeman, if we take the strict definition, implies that the country would apprehend criminals, detect and try to prevent crime, and enforce public laws.

Whether the U.S. is suitable for this job or not is an opinion, which makes me wonder why this is being debated at all.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Stop saying dumb things.

You can debate opinions as long as you can back up your opinion somehow.

B Link

Smash Lord

Military strength seems to be somewhat key in your defense of the U.S. as a policeman/leader of policing efforts so I will address that first.

battlecow said:
"Rwanda is a perfect example of the uselessness of the UN. If the US had taken action, **** could have been prevented. Instead, we let the UN handle it."

"When we see injustice/genocide/whatever, shouldn't we go over there and try to save whoever we can?"

Correct for the most part. Yes, some people put the blame on the UN, but that's debatable. I agree that most people would nod their heads to the fact that the United States should do something more, especially if another genocide occurs. I myself am not unaware of the overwhelming contribution that they can provide in any crisis. But what specifically that would entail is much more complicated than merely believing that powerful military equates to success in
1. preventing such occurrences from happening in the first place
2. saving lives during the actual crisis

In Rwanda, a study from Foreign Affairs ("Rwanda in Retrospect": A Hard Look at Intervention, pg 94) from 2000 reveals that even if the U.S. had intervened (with any size force), they wouldn't have been able to save even half of the victims (some hundred thousand people), let alone prevented the genocide as most people think is the case.

battlecow said:
"You seem to be saying that it's impossible to perfectly police the world. OK, granted- but shouldn't we even try?"
It depends. One thing to note is that foreign intervention can have unintended consequences that can actually result in making the situation worse.

"Shouldn't we even try?"
The U.S. and other countries can try, but the U.S. hasn't exactly been a particularly strong leader in terms of:
1. leading the debates on policies addressing humanitarian intervention
2. diplomatic efforts

battlecow said:
"In a lot of cases (Libya, both World Wars) military power is exactly what's needed."
I have minimal knowledge of the U.S.'s participation in Libya but I know that there is a divide between people as to whether or not they were acting like a "leader" in that event. In terms of military power, revolutions are a whole different ball of wax to deal compared to wars; they are highly sensitive events where intervention is not always a black and white issue (i.e. black = intervene and save lives v.s. white = don't intervene and let people die)

battlecow said:
"In my mind, the primary role of the US in cases of "crimes" on an international level or "crimes" against humanity throughout history gives us the title of "policeman," but I'm not wedded to that word; perhaps it's a bit strong. Perhaps we're merely the leader of policing efforts?"
"Policeman" is impossible for me, it is a title that belongs to forces that uphold the law in municipalities, small towns and cities but not the world - you seem to acknowledge that it's too strong of a word for one state to represent alone in terms of the international community. Now, as for the U.S. being a "leader," I think that there is still a significant counter-argument to be made to the possibility of that idea, namely that there is widespread disapproval (and I would even go as far as saying contempt) of the idea of the U.S. as a "leader" of other states in any way (that contempt coming from other states, an easy example is China).

I don't doubt that, if it were possible, it would be a good thing.

EDIT: Again, sorry if any of this has been reiterated. When I have time I'll read through the other posts. In the meantime a quick summary of your counter-arguments to any of the above arguments would suffice as opposed to a full explanation.

B Link

Smash Lord
Sorry to butt in, but any debater knows why saying "it's just a matter of opinion and thus it should not be debated" is wrong. That is a big, big no-no in debates equivalent to someone saying "it's just a theory" in science.

If you're referring to the stuff before that, I think battlecow has addressed his other arguments (which are not very well-supported anyway) adequately.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Correct for the most part. Yes, some people put the blame on the UN, but that's debatable. I agree that most people would nod their heads to the fact that the United States should do something more, especially if another genocide occurs. I myself am not unaware of the overwhelming contribution that they can provide in any crisis. But what specifically that would entail is much more complicated than merely believing that powerful military equates to success in
1. preventing such occurrences from happening in the first place
2. saving lives during the actual crisis

In Rwanda, a study from Foreign Affairs ("Rwanda in Retrospect": A Hard Look at Intervention, pg 94) from 2000 reveals that even if the U.S. had intervened (with any size force), they wouldn't have been able to save even half of the victims (some hundred thousand people), let alone prevented the genocide as most people think is the case.
Interesting, and I'll have to take a look at the study when I have more time, but aren't you sort of... supporting my point, a little? I mean, saving a quarter or a third of the victims or whatever is significant as all hell. Are you saying that the U.S.'s military strength doesn't matter because other militaries of lesser strength could have done the same?

It depends. One thing to note is that foreign intervention can have unintended consequences that can actually result in making the situation worse.
Certainly true. Iraq taught us that, if nothing else, we can get our fingers burned playing with these kinds of things. Hopefully it lasts longer than the lesson we got from Vietnam.

"Shouldn't we even try?"
The U.S. and other countries can try, but the U.S. hasn't exactly been a particularly strong leader in terms of:
1. leading the debates on policies addressing humanitarian intervention
2. diplomatic efforts
You (obviously) have a point, but I think that the popular view of the US as having... diplomatic problems, shall we say, the world over is a bit flawed. No, we're not particularly well liked at the moment by populations of other developed countries, but in the places where we're most likely to have to intervene, I've always gotten the impression that it's somewhat of a different story, and really, that's what matters. Our diplomatic problems in the middle east (which, to the best of my knowledge, stem largely from our position vis-a-vis Israel and can't be rectified) notwithstanding, I've gotten (not that I've studied international politics or policies as hard as someone debating on the subject should have) the impression that most third-world countries still have a very '90s view of the US as the people who will come and save them if **** goes down.

Take, for example, a story I heard on NPR a while back when Libya was doing its thing. The reporter was interviewing an man whose house had been bombed (or someone's house had; I started listening in the middle of the story). The man said that although he was sad about the bombings, he realized that the U.S. had to do what it had to do to get rid of Qadaffi. The plane may or may not have been American, because from what I understand we pulled back and the British and French were more active in the actual bombings towards the end, but the idea-- and it was presented as sort of part of the zeitgeist in Tripoli at the time-- was that when you're getting the **** bombed out of you, for good or for ill, it's always the US. When Egypt was having its own little revolution, there was a fairly large hullabaloo about exactly what position the US was going to take on affairs over there. That was a bigger deal than the U.N. or whoever; it was expected of us to take the lead on condemning the undemocratic system. Like it or not, the Arab spring looked to the US to lead the world in sanctioning it, and although we again did an imperfect job--Saudi Arabia--it was clearly our imperfect job to do.

I have minimal knowledge of the U.S.'s participation in Libya but I know that there is a divide between people as to whether or not they were acting like a "leader" in that event. In terms of military power, revolutions are a whole different ball of wax to deal compared to wars; they are highly sensitive events where intervention is not always a black and white issue (i.e. black = intervene and save lives v.s. white = don't intervene and let people die)
We certainly led in the beginning (it was almost all us for a little while there) and while we were careful for political reasons to let other militaries take bats at the apple, I'm fairly sure that in terms of material we did more than the rest of the world combined. Revolutions are different, certainly, but again, the Arab Spring shows that it's not impossible to back the right horse, and that the expense of doing so designates the US as the go-to backer.
"Policeman" is impossible for me, it is a title that belongs to forces that uphold the law in municipalities, small towns and cities but not the world - you seem to acknowledge that it's too strong of a word for one state to represent alone in terms of the international community. Now, as for the U.S. being a "leader," I think that there is still a significant counter-argument to be made to the possibility of that idea, namely that there is widespread disapproval (and I would even go as far as saying contempt) of the idea of the U.S. as a "leader" of other states in any way (that contempt coming from other states, an easy example is China).
I'm more or less comfortable calling the US the "Policeman" of the world, because we're the ones doing the brunt of the policing. Do we lead China in policing efforts? No, because China takes no part in policing efforts. Nor does Russia. Do we lead Europe? To some extent, yes. In any situation requiring significant military force (and as you've made clear, not all situations requiring policing do require said force) it's inarguable, in my mind, that Europe is going to look to America, with its admirable/insane military budget, to do the heavy lifting; they're not all that opposed to American-led efforts when it saves them money, as we saw (sorry to keep whipping this horse) in Libya. What I'm saying is that we don't have to lead the world to lead policing, because the countries that would absolutely refuse to be led by us are kind of ***holes anyways, and wouldn't piss on a developing country if it was on fire.

EDIT: Again, sorry if any of this has been reiterated. When I have time I'll read through the other posts. In the meantime a quick summary of your counter-arguments to any of the above arguments would suffice as opposed to a full explanation.
Actually, while I have been getting mostly reiterated arguments in the last couple pages, you bring up relatively new points, with enough detail that responding specifically is definitely called for.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You're telling me to stop saying dumb things... Lol, ok bro.
While crass, he didn't mean it like that. He's saying that your interpretation of the topic is too literal, and therefore will lead your line of discussion down the wrong path. By "policing" the World the OP is not referring to being actual police. It intends to speak about the US foreign policy on playing referee in other countries in matters of the state including but not limited to insurrection, terrorism, criminal enterprise and war. In a world where we "police" the world, we do what we've done in several countries, but instead in all countries.

Your original stance fits, though. I agree that it's not logistacally possible for the US to successfully police the world, as the UN tries to do. I mean, as battlecow has pointed out, the UN fails at its job, and not just w/Rwanda, but in several other countries. If the UN, made up of the combined resources of over a hundred nations, cannot do this job, then there's no way the US could do it by itself.

I've thought about this topic more since I originally commented, and I would think that it'd be possible if the UN underwent revision. One "nation" policing the world isn't exactly ideal, but perhaps this topic really is suggesteing the move towards a single World Government, under which a single unified Authority could in fact stand a chance at global peace keeping.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Ewwwww

no one will ever want a unified world government. Nationalism runs too deep, and the worldview differences between us and China mean that we can barely coexist with them, much less live under the same law code.

If the UN, made up of the combined resources of over a hundred nations, cannot do this job, then there's no way the US could do it by itself.
Whatever organization does the policing needs to be able to make decisions and enforce consequences other than just "disapproving" of a country (as if that had any effect).
Urgh. I feel like I'm talking to 9 brick walls and B Link.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Lol, ok. If you really want me to elaborate, I will.

If you have the resources to control the entire world, you basically have a monopoly. The rulers of said government can pretty much make any laws they want, so forget about democracy. Furthermore, a world government means that no matter where you go, you are bound by the same set of laws, regardless of whether you like them or not. Basically in my mind, world government = world dictatorship. Haven't we seen so many examples throughout history that show that corrupt *******s get into power and turn into dictators? Now imagine, who wouldn't want to take control of such an absolute government? It is a guaranteed recipe for disaster on a scale never witnessed before in human history.

Also, people are too diverse to be united. People have cultures and traditions that they would not want to give up. A world government would put a lot of strain on these cultures.

Would you be okay living under an all-encompassing one world government? I know I certainly would not.

Are there any reasons that support a one-world government? If there are any they do not outweigh the inevitable consequences that come with it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I find it funny that people always simply assume that democracy is the most superior form of government without backing it up at all.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why is the burden of proof on me when you were the one who made the contentious claim?

:phone:

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
I find it funny that people always simply assume that democracy is the most superior form of government without backing it up at all.
I never said such a thing. I just said that democracy wouldn't be possible. Assuming that a republic/democracy/whatever you call what we have in the U.S. is a better form of government than complete tyranny, this would definitely be a bad thing.'

Let's not get sidetracked here. What are the supporting reasons for a one world government, if any?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I never said such a thing. I just said that democracy wouldn't be possible. Assuming that a republic/democracy/whatever you call what we have in the U.S. is a better form of government than complete tyranny, this would definitely be a bad thing.'

Let's not get sidetracked here. What are the supporting reasons for a one world government, if any?
Just thought I'd give my little nugget:

Pros
-world unification
-one country wouldn't be responsible as police

Cons
-high chance of corruption (of those who are ruling)
-erosion of civilians' rights

Battlecow

Play to Win
"Democracy da bess" is something 99% of people in the first world agree on. As such, we assume it when having conversations, even with strangers. If you want to argue about it, you can, but make a separate thread because that's not what we're arguing about here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
"Democracy da bess" is something 99% of people in the first world agree on. As such, we assume it when having conversations, even with strangers. If you want to argue about it, you can, but make a separate thread because that's not what we're arguing about here.
I would easily say 99% of the west supports it, but I was under the assumption that it wasn't too popular in some parts of the world. Could be wrong though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Everyone here is from the west. Therefore we assume that we're conversing with people who are like-minded on the subject. I can talk about slavery in a way that assumes it was bad without evidence because I know I'm not conversing with southern white guys from 1845.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
By that logic westerners a couple of centuries ago wouldn't have to epistemically justify belief in God or Christianity.

I pretty much never have to explain why it's not rational to believe that a unicorn exists, but if I had to, I would actually have justification beyond 'well everyone agrees on it so it must be right'.

I doubt many people actually have proper reasoning as to why democracy is superior, but carry on, I don't want to derail the thread.

B Link

Smash Lord
lol. Things that aren't relevant to the debate:
- "should a world government exist?"
- any argument related to democracy as a form of government

That said...

Interesting, and I'll have to take a look at the study when I have more time, but aren't you sort of... supporting my point, a little?
battlecow said:
I mean, saving a quarter or a third of the victims or whatever is significant as all hell.
I tried to highlight that there are complications that can arise whereby military strength alone would not result in a "successful" mission.

The second part that I quoted from you is based on "wording things." I could say "failure of the U.S. seen by death of 100,000" I could also say "U.S. succeeds as seen by their saving of 100,000 lives." If both sentences were out of 200,000 lives, depending on the way you word it, it can be a success or a failure.

Is saving some better than none? Of course. I'm not against the idea of trying to save lives. I'm against the fact that your argument seems to overstate the importance of military in being a leader of policing efforts. The failure in Rwanda was as a result of a slow reaction. Only later did a lack of military effort make it worse.

battlecow said:
Are you saying that the U.S.'s military strength doesn't matter because other militaries of lesser strength could have done the same?
No. I'm saying the importance of military strength should not be overstated. If the main function of a policeman in the international system is related to peacekeeping, peacemaking, peace "managing," then the U.S. should not be a policeman considering that they only have military while lacking other important factors that are key to being a "leader of policing efforts" in the international stage. I don't think the ability to kill as many rebel forces (in Rwanda, for example) as possible was a necessary requirement to succeeding in intervention.

battlecow said:
You (obviously) have a point, but I think that the popular view of the US as having... diplomatic problems, shall we say, the world over is a bit flawed. No, we're not particularly well liked at the moment by populations of other developed countries, but in the places where we're most likely to have to intervene, I've always gotten the impression that it's somewhat of a different story, and really, that's what matters. Our diplomatic problems in the middle east (which, to the best of my knowledge, stem largely from our position vis-a-vis Israel and can't be rectified) notwithstanding, I've gotten (not that I've studied international politics or policies as hard as someone debating on the subject should have) the impression that most third-world countries still have a very '90s view of the US as the people who will come and save them if **** goes down.
My knowledge is limited here - I can't say much about the "US is viewed as a savior when **** goes down" point because I honestly don't know if that is true or false in other third-world countries. I might research for more information on this later.

battlecow said:
Take, for example, a story I heard on NPR a while back when Libya was doing its thing. The reporter was interviewing an man whose house had been bombed (or someone's house had; I started listening in the middle of the story). The man said that although he was sad about the bombings, he realized that the U.S. had to do what it had to do to get rid of Qadaffi. The plane may or may not have been American, because from what I understand we pulled back and the British and French were more active in the actual bombings towards the end, but the idea-- and it was presented as sort of part of the zeitgeist in Tripoli at the time-- was that when you're getting the **** bombed out of you, for good or for ill, it's always the US. When Egypt was having its own little revolution, there was a fairly large hullabaloo about exactly what position the US was going to take on affairs over there. That was a bigger deal than the U.N. or whoever; it was expected of us to take the lead on condemning the undemocratic system. Like it or not, the Arab spring looked to the US to lead the world in sanctioning it, and although we again did an imperfect job--Saudi Arabia--it was clearly our imperfect job to do.
I just watched a documentary highlighting the role of social media in revolutions. (CBC – How Facebook Changed the World: The Arab Spring) Basically, since it emphasized the role of social media, it also necessarily emphasized the role of the people uploading videos of abuse to garner support from citizens in their state for protests. My argument that follows is this: If we call, Libya for example, a success because it "toppled their government" does one highlight the role of the U.S. or the role of the actual citizens of the state who managed to get enough support for protests? Going one step further, it doesn't seem like the U.S. took any "lead" in terms of success in Libya as a whole.

Top Bottom