• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the custom move system be more extensive in the future?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Even though it looks like most people want a more extensive custom move system, there's quite a few people who are satisfied with the custom move system as it is right now.

Even though I originally wanted the custom move system to be more divergent, I'm now more fine with it. Mostly because there aren't much options for similar stuff with most other characters (Mario's other power ups and Link's other tools being pretty much the only possible things here), and because I like the Miis having it as a unique gimmick (and I still hate that Palutena got Mii-like customs).

Maybe only a select few characters should get different customs; not all characters. That would be still be satisfying.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
i hope so and think so, every smash always tops the last instalment (in content) so it wouldn't be a surprising.

and i would love for it to be more expansive. Going to tilts and smashes.... i can only dream.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Yeah, alternate tilts, aerials and smashes would be cool.
Although I'd settle for changing character physics like falling speed and move duration.
That'd be pretty cool too, even through bonus equipment added with future updates.

absolatias

Smash Rookie
although i love the idea of custom moves in a fighting game, it just doesn't feel right with smash. they don't really add much to the characters (except palutena, it makes her :/ ) I dont personally think they should have extra move sets and just put the storage space elsewhere. Call me a purist.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
although i love the idea of custom moves in a fighting game, it just doesn't feel right with smash. they don't really add much to the characters (except palutena, it makes her :/ ) I dont personally think they should have extra move sets and just put the storage space elsewhere. Call me a purist.
Purist.
Falco's 3rd down special is MILES better than his regular one, and, in certain matchups, character might be disadvantageous/unable to use certain specials as they don't apply to that character (ness down B on any non-projectile using character, Ganon on any character with high horizontal launching power, ZELDA etc.)

Just give falco that special.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I honestly hope it's much easier to unlock them next time around
I should also be able to view all the custom moves I have, like trophies, instead of having to go to each and every character to check
:225:

Khao

Smash Lord
First off, I'd like a way to choose your customs on the spot rather than having to create and save a sort-of profile to select later. That change alone would make them feel like something that's a more "ingrained" part of the game.

So, like, you choose your character and a button like this appears on the bottom:

You click it, and this thing pops up:

That way you can freely and quickly customize the specials without too much of a hassle, and without wasting the time of the other players. Just click the button, press up and down to choose the special you wanna change, and then left/right to switch it to another. No need to register, name, and save a new character profile in another menu. Just do it on the spot. Simple.

Seriously, one of the biggest reasons I haven't bothered much with custom moves yet is because setting up a new character profile is too annoying, especially for the other people playing with you.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Personally, custom moves should be entirely different from the normal ones, but still be something that the character actually does within their respective series. :4palutena: and :4megaman:(to an extent) are the only ones that follow this logic(not counting :4mii:). I would've loved to see the characters perform different specials rather than just the same special animations with altered stats and properties. Though something like this would've taken a LOT of extra work for the team to implement properly and balance, so I can see where they were coming from with the current style. For certain characters that follow the current style it isn't so bad, like :4megaman:, who has an extensive history with this type of logic. His animations were always the same, yet the special weapons were always different. Other characters can follow this idea in some way, but they didn't quite come out like I thought they would(what happened to the plethora of beams that :4samus: constantly uses in her adventures?).

Anyway, that's my thought on the matter.

First off, I'd like a way to choose your customs on the spot rather than having to create and save a sort-of profile to select later. That change alone would make them feel like something that's a more "ingrained" part of the game.

So, like, you choose your character and a button like this appears on the bottom:

You click it, and this thing pops up:

That way you can freely and quickly customize the specials without too much of a hassle, and without wasting the time of the other players. Just click the button, press up and down to choose the special you wanna change, and then left/right to switch it to another. No need to register, name, and save a new character profile in another menu. Just do it on the spot. Simple.

Seriously, one of the biggest reasons I haven't bothered much with custom moves yet is because setting up a new character profile is too annoying, especially for the other people playing with you.
This. This needs to happen. I can understand using saved presets for doing things like Classic or Event Mode, but for Smash battles, freely choosing the specials on the CSS is a must.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, custom moves should be entirely different from the normal ones, but still be something that the character actually does within their respective series. :4palutena: and :4megaman:(to an extent) are the only ones that follow this logic(not counting :4mii:). I would've loved to see the characters perform different specials rather than just the same special animations with altered stats and properties.
Don't get me wrong, I do too, but entirely different customs wouldn't work with most characters. The only other characters with potential for entirely different customs are Mario with his other powerups and Link with his other weapons. There's isn't much else to do.

Though something like this would've taken a LOT of extra work for the team to implement properly and balance, so I can see
It's not as time consuming as animating and making hitboxes with characters.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Don't get me wrong, I do too, but entirely different customs wouldn't work with most characters. The only other characters with potential for entirely different customs are Mario with his other powerups and Link with his other weapons. There's isn't much else to do.
I'm not sure if I would say "most" characters, though I know for some there would have to be creative liberties taken in order to implement this idea(:4falcon: comes to mind, it's probably not easy to just come up with something on the spot and have it seem relevant to him). But I believe that most of the characters have sufficient material from their own series that would make for interesting specials. As you said already, :4mario: characters and :4link:/:4tlink: and the rest of the Zelda cast are particularly noteworthy with their respective items and powers, but they aren't the only ones.

• Pokemon have their massive movepool to draw from.
  • Fire emblem characters can use their skills and additional weapons(I know Grandmasters can't use Dark tomes, but they did it for :4robinm:and I'm sure they can do it for the others).
  • :4samus: has her plethora of beam, missile and movement systems(though I'm not sure what they would do for :4zss: as I know very little about her).
  • The Kongs have many unique abilities and items at their disposal(granted, I have played VERY few DK games, specifically DKC and DK 64, but 64 in particular has items, techniques and powers I haven't seen utilized since).
  • :4darkpit: and :4pit: have the ENTIRE arsenal of Uprising at their disposal, along with more of the powers offered by :4palutena:.
  • I don't need to say much about :4kirby:, do I? :4dedede: has more hammer-based powers(many from his Masked form). I know :4metaknight: has various long-range and elemental powers he's used in the past, and could even have moves based on Galacta Knight.
  • :4wario: has his moves from the various Wario Land games as well as his "forms".
  • :4shulk: has even more Arts to choose from, both normal and Monado based.
  • :4duckhunt: could possibly draw from the Super Scope game, being the other light-gun-based game that Nintendo has.
  • :4falco: and :4fox: might require a bit of thought, but they do have additional weapons and gadgets to use.
  • I'm sure there's more content from the Game & Watch series that :4gaw: can utilize, maybe even from the Gallery era.
  • :4sonic: has more than just his spin and fighting moves. He has Wisp powers that can aid him in battle.
  • :4megaman: has a crapton of special weapons and Rush abilities. That is all.
  • ...and many other things I can't think of at the moment.

It's not as time consuming as animating and making hitboxes with characters.
And this would just add to that.

Lugihui

Smash Cadet
They should expand more custom moves. Also, they should make an online section where you could only custom moves.

Seems legit.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd rather them be removed, it becomes too difficult to balance the game, if you ever wanted them to be competitive.

Also I feel the move sets make the character, giving too many variants homogenizes all the fighters.

I like having one clear definitive move set per character, it just makes for better game play, knowing exactly what to expect and play.

We get too crazy and do all these customized things and eventually the rest of the game suffers.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I agree on the interface overhaul.

Also custom smashes, too? Smash attacks are a key component to each character's moveset.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I would like it to, but not before some serious balancing. Great characters like :4villager::4sonic::rosalina:gain alot while meh-to-bad characters like:4littlemac: :4metaknight::4zelda: gain very little. Messes up the FFA "tier list" too, namely :4ganondorf: & :4bowser:.

Top Bottom