• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the announcer be more talkative?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I want to have the exact same thing that was shown in the Little Mac reveal trailer, A character or announcer commenting while the fight is going on. Each character would have his own commentator, for Little Mac that will be Doc Louis, I don't know who the other characters will get, but we'll figure that out later.

These commentators will make comments on everything that the characters do, either as they do it or right after, also, they will all be talking during the match, so in 4-player matches, there will be 4 commentators all talking at the same time.
I lost.

Sealy tho this is horrible idea I think the crowd effect is more than enough. Any more noise and I'll need earplugs ><

CosmicKirby

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it would fit in with the Smash aesthetic, simply because it hasn't been sold with the game so far.

A game like Capcom vs SNK gets away with it, because at the title screen the announcer is already gabbing his lips off. The same can be said for other fighting games, like Skullgirls. If the announcer is introduced immediately and it's made obvious he's going to be there it isn't a problem if he talks a bunch. Smash never did this, adding it now wouldn't be a great idea. Following this logic, the only variation of the idea worth considering would be Doc Luis adding commentary to the fight, but I'd still take that with a grain of salt.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It'd be great if the Announcer consistently called out poor playing.

"What on Earth was that supposed to be, Player 1?"

"And another embarrassing display by Player 2! Keep it up, champ!"

"Even I could play better than Player 3, and I'm just a collection of sound bites!"

"Oy vey. I need a drink."

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
If it was Doc Louis then I'd be down for it. As mentioned above it could also be a special case for when Lil Mac is fighting other characters. Otherwise I'd leave it off. Commentators have emerged in the community that can rally and make a game even more interesting. I'll stick to that instead of a pre-recording. Unless its Doc.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for Smash Balls, but if for all, let it be able to be turned off.

Why did I instantly think of the Pokemon Battle Revolution announcer?

"It's super effective! And Mega Man is DOWN!"

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman

"Even I could play better than Player 3, and I'm just a collection of sound bites!"

That's the Hades announcer for you.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
If it was in the game I would probably only use it every once in a while. I really like the Smash's music so I really wouldn't like an announcer to talk over it.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Eh. I agree with a lot of the previous posters. I wouldn't mind it I guess, but at the same time don't care too much. It'd get annoying, especially if you were really into the game. Me? I'd probably flip the t.v off a few times, as sad as that is.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I love the idea, since the characters don't talk too much (or at least, ones with others), an announcer more talkative would make things more fun.. I love this type of narrative, like in Super Street Fighter IV ("Ladies and Gentlemen, the ultimate Street Fighter!") or Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing ("I love my job!!"). But of course, seeing how controversy is the opinion about that, I think that would be better be just an option (as suggested by the OP).

D

Deleted member

Dota has conditioned me to like in-game announcers a lot, but in a fast paced game like Smash it might not work out as well. I wouldn't be against it if there was the option to turn it off, but if there was no option like that it would get annoying really fast.
lol @ all these people saying it would be annoying, you obviously haven't played Pokemon Battle Revolution, I'd personally love to have various options, like, Smash4 announcer, Doc Louis, and the Pokemon Battle Revolution announcer.

"MEGAMAN & FRIENDS DESTROY THE COMPETITION!"
"TALK ****, GET FIT!"
"TIME TO GET FIT WITH WII FIT!"
"ANIHILATED BY THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS!"

Doc Louis would be like...
"Samus' on fire! Better watch out baby!"
"WOMBO COMBO! Haven't seen one since my glory days!"
"Smooth-as-chocolate combos! Keep 'em coming!"

People on this thread againist the concept that can be toggled on and off "I can toggle it off, but why should people who want it have it? With this removed, I can follow the stupid misconception that less content somehow makes a better game gameplay-wise!"
Fun fact: Did you know that it's possible to voice your opinion without coming off as an ass? Mindblowing, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

domriver

Smash Lord
You know since Sakurai is all about Females this time around maybe a female announcer? What you guys think about that? I wouldn't mind. Or have both Male and Female voice announcers. :)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As long as it doesn't take away too much from the meat of the game, I'm totally in support. More options is always a good thing. There are few games I've played that have had announcers I didn't enjoy hearing. I even liked the guy in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and felt the sequel was a bit too quiet without him.

I think the most logical route to take, however, would be to simply make the crowd/audience more engaging, and make their utterances more variable and common than they are in Brawl. Perhaps have them gasp exclamations like "Oh no!" when the favorite player is killed, or have them boo when players are doing exceptionally poorly. I doubt Sakurai would go for it, though.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I just want them to bring back Dean Harrington (from Melee) as the games announcer. That guy could make anything sound badass and at time, unintentionally hilarious. I just love the enthusiasm he put into saying the characters names, especially Dr. Mario and Ice Climbers. And who could forget that epic delivery of the games title:
"SUPER SMASH BROTHERS, MEELLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Pat Cashman, the guy who did the voice over for Brawl was so underwhelming in comparison. If Harrington's not coming back, then I hope it's someone who puts the same amount of over-the-top emphasis on every word.

Last edited:

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
Would be pretty awesome if they had options for all the previous announcers.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice

sounds like glados from portal! Imagine a Portal stage with her in the background commentating everything that would be cool. Then again not gonna happen unfortunately

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I just want them to bring back Dean Harrington (from Melee) as the games announcer. That guy could make anything sound badass and at time, unintentionally hilarious. I just love the enthusiasm he put into saying the characters names, especially Dr. Mario and Ice Climbers. And who could forget that epic delivery of the games title:
"SUPER SMASH BROTHERS, MEELLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Pat Cashman, the guy who did the voice over for Brawl was so underwhelming in comparison. If Harrington's not coming back, then I hope it's someone who puts the same amount of over-the-top emphasis on every word.
I personally like how he said "Luigi" as if intrigued by the subject manner
The Melee announcer I mean

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
You know since Sakurai is all about Females this time around maybe a female announcer? What you guys think about that? I wouldn't mind. Or have both Male and Female voice announcers. :)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Mr. GAAAME AND WATCH.

I also like how he says Pikachu with emphasis on the a. Peek-AH-chu

But shout out to the Brawl announcer for Zero Suit Samus. So serious

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
They should get the announcer from Super Meat Boy.

POOSH THE BUTTONS!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
They could do it like how BattleBlock Theater does it where there's a slider to adjust how consistent the Narrator talks. That being said, now I have an unreasonably high expectation that demands Stamper be the Narrator.
I'd also welcome a female Narrator.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
If it was Doc Louis then I'd be down for it. As mentioned above it could also be a special case for when Lil Mac is fighting other characters. Otherwise I'd leave it off. Commentators have emerged in the community that can rally and make a game even more interesting. I'll stick to that instead of a pre-recording. Unless its Doc.
You mean two guys pointing out every Brawl flaw on Project M tournaments?

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Announcer packs would be fun. Even though 80% of the Nintendo cast barely speaks at all.
-Doc Louis
-Viridi/Hades
-Reggie
And slightly related. Maybe we can have some more enthusiastic cheers for the English version?.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I find announcers to be annoying in every other game that has one, but if it's an option then I guess it's fine.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
The announcer is fine the way he his in my opinion. The matches are chaotic enough as it is and adding in even more noise with someone talking over everything would get obnoxious. What I would love is if the crowd was back to the hype level of Smash 64. They got so stoked if someone made it back to stage from the brink of death, it made those awesome recoveries feel even better!

Laniv

Smash Champion
I personally like how he said "Luigi" as if intrigued by the subject manner
The Melee announcer I mean
You gotta hand it to the Brawl announcer (Cashman) announcing villains as if they were actual threats.
And then he announces Luigi... (skip to 3:58)

Top Bottom