• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the announcer be more talkative?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
So, a question I just thought up recently, should the announcer talk more? Should he have more to say during a match other than "Player #, Defeated! 3, 2, 1, GO! And TIME!"?

I think it might be cool—As an option—if the announcer would actually have commentary on the battles. There are two games specifically that I know where the announcer is gladly welcomed: Pokemon Stadium and Killer Instinct.

In those games, the announcer sets the mood of the match, and can even hype you up! So, should SSB4 have the announcer do that? (Once again, as an option)

Maybe during a match he could say:

"All players are down to their final stock."

"A Smash Ball has entered play!"

"Player 1 took a huge hit!"

"Player 3 is still at full power!" — A quote for when a character scores a KO without taking damage.

"Player 4 is ready to cut loose!" — When a character is on standby for the Final Smash.

"Oh, and they lost it!" — Losing the Smash Ball.

"Tensions are running high, who will make the next move?" — When a short period of time where no attacks are scored.

"Time is running out!" — Time Match reaching the Final Minute Mark.

"And they're out of here!" — Getting launched to a Star KO.

"Player 2 is looking good right now!" — Performing relatively well in the match.

"And the game is tied." — Evening out stock or point count.

Anyway, before I add any more quotes, how would you guys feel about this?

As. An. Option. Not required at all, and can be turned off.

And if you do like the idea, come up with a few quotes of your own if you think they'd fit.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If it happens, I am going to disable it. I'm not a big fan of stuff like this.

Although I wouldn't have it on, I think it would be cool if characters like Doc Louis commentated like in Mac's trailer.

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
It would be awesome. Also they should add and option to choose your annoucer ej: Melle's Brawl's Tails, Doc Louis, etc.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Sounds like something that could get really annoying really quickly.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I like the idea, but I'm sure I'd get tired of it after a few matches and just disable it, unless the commentator is for some reason; Viridi, Doc Louis or Captain Falcon.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's easy to forget that we have some sort of mechanic that starts cheering for your character if you pull off an "amazing hit" or "combo" or something like that. That's pretty hype to have happen in matches, more often in doubles. It would be cool if it was a bit more understandable how to get the crowd chant/cheer and if it also identified who was receiving it (something simple like their player icon glowing; hate not knowing who deserves it in dittos :p), so players could work for it :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sounds like a great option. I find the Announcer Chatter really fun in many games. But yeah, allowing us to disable it is a must.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I can't say I'm a fan of the idea. The amount of talking he does in Melee and Brawl is just sufficient.

There is a line of thought that the Smash announcer is the Master Hand, and this doesn't fit well with that.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
no it would just get repetitive really fast. Plus in competitive smash, the last thing you want is for the commentators to have to compete with the AI voice system.
I'm sure you'd still be able to mute the television.

I don't mind the idea, but I usually have the sound off and my own music on, so it wouldn't bother me either way.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Well that's fine if you do listen to your own music while playing but that's not me, I quite like the music in smash. Why should I even have to resort to muting the game for a feature that at most will be forgettable? This is just one of those things I see having too many cons and not enough pros. If they make it a feature you can turn off then sure, but even then who is really going to make use of the feature?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well that's fine if you do listen to your own music while playing but that's not me, I quite like the music in smash. Why should I even have to resort to muting the game for a feature that at most will be forgettable? This is just one of those things I see having too many cons and not enough pros. If they make it a feature you can turn off then sure, but even then who is really going to make use of the feature?
...I definitely will. I love announcer chatter. Wrestling games also have this in spades. It's what makes the game very entertaining for me.

Also, the OP made it clear it's an option when it comes to this idea.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Nope, no thanks. Maybe they could make the crowd cheers for the characters more excited and happen more often, though.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
lol @ all these people saying it would be annoying, you obviously haven't played Pokemon Battle Revolution, I'd personally love to have various options, like, Smash4 announcer, Doc Louis, and the Pokemon Battle Revolution announcer.

"MEGAMAN & FRIENDS DESTROY THE COMPETITION!"
"TALK ****, GET FIT!"
"TIME TO GET FIT WITH WII FIT!"
"ANIHILATED BY THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS!"

Doc Louis would be like...
"Samus' on fire! Better watch out baby!"
"WOMBO COMBO! Haven't seen one since my glory days!"
"Smooth-as-chocolate combos! Keep 'em coming!"

People on this thread againist the concept that can be toggled on and off "I can toggle it off, but why should people who want it have it? With this removed, I can follow the stupid misconception that less content somehow makes a better game gameplay-wise!"

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't think so

What i want to know is (this is the one and only thing not talked about) what is the smash audience going to sound like in smash 4 i mean cheering for there character and when the hits are hard enough for a big cheer

Dairz

Smash Ace
lol @ all these people saying it would be annoying, you obviously haven't played Pokemon Battle Revolution, I'd personally love to have various options, like, Smash4 announcer, Doc Louis, and the Pokemon Battle Revolution announcer.

"MEGAMAN & FRIENDS DESTROY THE COMPETITION!"
"TALK ****, GET FIT!"
"TIME TO GET FIT WITH WII FIT!"
"ANIHILATED BY THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS!"

Doc Louis would be like...
"Samus' on fire! Better watch out baby!"
"WOMBO COMBO! Haven't seen one since my glory days!"
"Smooth-as-chocolate combos! Keep 'em coming!"

People on this thread againist the concept that can be toggled on and off "I can toggle it off, but why should people who want it have it? With this removed, I can follow the stupid misconception that less content somehow makes a better game gameplay-wise!"
Thing is, Smash isn't Pokemon, and I would much rather listen to the characters and glorious music rather than some yelling dude. Why even add the content if most people wouldn't like it? And announcers talking isn't really "more content".

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It's easy to forget that we have some sort of mechanic that starts cheering for your character if you pull off an "amazing hit" or "combo" or something like that. That's pretty hype to have happen in matches, more often in doubles. It would be cool if it was a bit more understandable how to get the crowd chant/cheer and if it also identified who was receiving it (something simple like their player icon glowing; hate not knowing who deserves it in dittos :p), so players could work for it :D
I normally see cheers whenever several hits land without a counter hit. Also it's not until they're hit while at 30+ percent or so... it starts low and after each hit gets more excited then a round of applause then they cheer. I've always taken it to mean they're calling for the aggressor to be ko'd cause if u notice if the aggressor scores a ko while they're being cheered the crowd abruptly stops...

Snake tho... he gets cheers just by picking him lol

Someone told me master hand is the kid in that bedroom in melee and the fights are him playing with his toys. Or something... but yeah if that's true and the announcer is also master hand then I guess the "kid" is a smoker too or some **** cause dang what a deep voice...

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Someone told me master hand is the kid in that bedroom in melee and the fights are him playing with his toys. Or something... but yeah if that's true and the announcer is also master hand then I guess the "kid" is a smoker too or some **** cause dang what a deep voice...

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'm kinda mixed on this it would be nice to have the annoucer or crowd sounds be more lively in general but at the same time the music in smash is great. I do like the smashball line i think it is a good idea.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not really a fan of a mid-match announcer. If this is to be in, let it be an option.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I can't take another Pokemon Stadium. If this were to happen, PLEASE let it be optional.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can the announcer be a KIU character? Like Hades or Viridi.

That would be the only way I would be tempted to have it turned on. lol

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Like Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing? I'd like that. While many people found the announcer of that game annoying, he at least made the races more exiting. The announcer could also be a little more jokey and comical.

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
I want to have the exact same thing that was shown in the Little Mac reveal trailer, A character or announcer commenting while the fight is going on. Each character would have his own commentator, for Little Mac that will be Doc Louis, I don't know who the other characters will get, but we'll figure that out later.

These commentators will make comments on everything that the characters do, either as they do it or right after, also, they will all be talking during the match, so in 4-player matches, there will be 4 commentators all talking at the same time.

Top Bottom