• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should team healers be allowed?

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
It's not a "pick up" and pray thing like Assist trophy, or pokeballs. You need good cordination (read: skills) to use it, or it could get intercepted.

*puts up flamesheild*

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
I actually don't play as much team games as I would like. Having the team healer on is an interesting idea (I usually play with items off.)

Of course in the competitive arena it probably won't hold, what with random spawns and what not.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's... an... item... which... spawns... randomly... at... (quasi-)random...a times... in... (quasi-)random... locations...

It also heals... so it's random and broken.

Solong

Smash Rookie
As good as the idea (of the item) is, like Yuna said, its random.

Plus if its intercepted by your opponents, it wont always hurt them - im sure i read it will sometimes hurt them instead.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Yuna said:
It's... an... item... which... spawns... randomly... at... (quasi-)random...a times... in... (quasi-)random... locations...

Agreed.

Though this item is more fair than many others because it does require a little skill to hit the right person, it still drops randomly and is unfair.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If tossed at the enemy, the Team Healer might actually damage them instead of healing them. Of course, it heals the teammate all the time.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It takes no more skill to use than it takes to use ANY projectile, or even any move in a team match. Competitive team matches play with team attack on, and a good team won't hit each other unless they want to. It takes no more skill to hit your teammate with a team healer than it does to not hit your teammate with an arrow.

Your only argument doesn't even make sense. Why ask silly questions and spark pointless hostility? You surely know what the general opinions will be. Anything, anything, that is random that can be removed is removed. That is what Competitive Smashers strive to do. It takes skill to use ANY item in this game, it takes skill to do absolutely everything. The difference between items and favorable competitive play is that using items is subject to both skill AND luck. Random spawn locations are still there, no matter the item.

The goal is to play matches in which the ONLY variable is skill. It doesn't matter if Team Healers take skill to use, they also are subject to the whim of the fates. They're random, and they involve "luck." It's not "only play with things that take skill," it's "don't play with anything that is random." We want 1 variable, skill. No matter how much skill an item takes to use, the introduction of an item creates 2 variables, skill and luck.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Also, I think the Team Healers heals a random amount. Seriously, thats dumb. And not competitive friendly.

Couldn't ask for a more random item.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
No items should be used in competitive play because they are random; I see your point about the Team Healer, but it still wouldnt work.

No need for a flameshield, we're all friends here...right? Right? >_>

6footninja

Smash Ace

Please...just...get..to...the..point.

on topic: no they shouldn't be allowed.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I don't see whats so bad about things being random. If they're random that means they could appear anywhere and benefit any of the players. So will someone please enlighten me on what's so wrong about random?

I don't see why having teram healer on would be a problem. But I'm sure someone will think of a worst case scenario where team healer was the only thing that prevented them from winning.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
I don't see whats so bad about things being random. If they're random that means they could appear anywhere and benefit any of the players. So will someone please enlighten me on what's so wrong about random?

I don't see why having teram healer on would be a problem. But I'm sure someone will think of a worst case scenario where team healer was the only thing that prevented them from winning.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

*hands you a tower shield with a blue wizard hat engraved in it*

It's a flame shield, custom made to withstand Yuna-level fire attacks.

CAPTAIN_FALCON23

Smash Cadet
On Banning Randomness

Anything, anything, that is random that can be removed is removed. That is what Competitive Smashers strive to do. It takes skill to use ANY item in this game, it takes skill to do absolutely everything. The difference between items and favorable competitive play is that using items is subject to both skill AND luck. Random spawn locations are still there, no matter the item.

The goal is to play matches in which the ONLY variable is skill. It doesn't matter if Team Healers take skill to use, they also are subject to the whim of the fates. They're random, and they involve "luck." It's not "only play with things that take skill," it's "don't play with anything that is random." We want 1 variable, skill. No matter how much skill an item takes to use, the introduction of an item creates 2 variables, skill and luck.
Say hello to the Judgement Hammer, Green Missile, turnips, Waddle Dee Toss, Pikmin...

I think the competitive scene's collective disgust of item play is definitely over the edge. I think I will be supporting the ISP (Item Standard Play) movement here on the boards, it has great potential for opening up strategies and opportunities for gameplay. Definitely go look it up if you haven't already.

And then Team Healers will be the least of your worries.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
Yeah even if it required you to press the most complex button combination and solve a trigonometry equation they still spawn randomly. This is why no item is viable in competetive play.

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
Anything, anything, that is random that can be removed is removed. That is what Competitive Smashers strive to do. It takes skill to use ANY item in this game, it takes skill to do absolutely everything. The difference between items and favorable competitive play is that using items is subject to both skill AND luck. Random spawn locations are still there, no matter the item.

Say hello to the Judgement Hammer, Green Missile, turnips, Waddle Dee Toss, Pikmin...
-------------------

Anything, anything, that is random that can be removed is removed.

Top Bottom