• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should taunts be disabled in online games?

Should taunts be disabled in online games?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No!

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • The Indecisive answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I feel like taunts are the cause of lots and lots of rage and broken controllers in this game that I feel it should just be disabled online. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
No. It's not like they're game breaking or anything. You can't really blame anybody but yourself if you get mad at a guy taunting.

Last edited:
Taunts are perfectly fine and a part of the game. If someone wants to leave their character defenseless with a taunt, then it's their choice. They should have the freedom to do so.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's their choice to taunt whenever they want to and there ain't nothing we can do about. If they taunted after you get killed or something, it's your own fault. This is something not worth crying over spilled chocolate milk.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
It's honestly just a part of the game so no. While it's more well known for BM it's also used for friendly gestures and honorable mentions.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Not really. I think one that should be banned are nametags, since people can use it to say racist remarks(or just racist slurs in general)

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
So what most of you guys are saying is that getting taunted at after dying doesn't bother you guys at all. Or if it does, then you're completely fine with it. Got it. I learned something new today.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
So what most of you guys are saying is that getting taunted at after dying doesn't bother you guys at all. Or if it does, then you're completely fine with it. Got it. I learned something new today.
Well, yeah.

There's tons of people who share different view points on taunts. I believe there's one or two threads specifically about taunting and there's tons of mixed opinions about them in those threads. Some say it's okay, others don't. Some say it's disrespectful while others chose to use them in a respectful manner. Besides, imagine if taunts weren't allowed Online yourself for a brief moment...

Do you really think that will solve the problem? In my opinion it wouldn't change anything, or rather make matters worse.

People would instead stoop to Tea-Bagging constantly if they can't use their taunts and will most likely resort to disrespectful tags much more often. Taunting isn't really the problem, but rather how people act Online. You also have to consider the fact that not everyone taunts to be disrespectful. There's a lot of things people do Online that are never meant to be viewed as disrespect at all really.

It's all how the other side views it. It's also how we chose to use them and view them as ourselves.

I personally avoid using taunts because I don't want someone taking them the wrong way and seeing me as one of those disrespectful players. I only taunt when others do it first, or for a taunt greeting (long as the other side does that first too since not everyone does this). Others do not share this view point and I respect that. Just be aware if you start taunting then I feel like I should taunt too.

Don't get all salty because I'm only returning the favor by taunting back. So yeah, taunts are only bad if you let them be bad.

I'd be more concerned with getting the tag feature blocked, or have somewhat what the 3DS has for the WII U...

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Well, yeah.

There's tons of people who share different view points on taunts. I believe there's one or two threads specifically about taunting and there's tons of mixed opinions about them in those threads. Some say it's okay, others don't. Some say it's disrespectful while others chose to use them in a respectful manner. Besides, imagine if taunts weren't allowed Online yourself for a brief moment...

Do you really think that will solve the problem? In my opinion it wouldn't change anything, or rather make matters worse.

People would instead stoop to Tea-Bagging constantly if they can't use their taunts and will most likely resort to disrespectful tags much more often. Taunting isn't really the problem, but rather how people act Online. You also have to consider the fact that not everyone taunts to be disrespectful. There's a lot of things people do Online that are never meant to be viewed as disrespect at all really.

It's all how the other side views it. It's also how we chose to use them and view them as ourselves.

I personally avoid using taunts because I don't want someone taking them the wrong way and seeing me as one of those disrespectful players. I only taunt when others do it first, or for a taunt greeting (long as the other side does that first too since not everyone does this). Others do not share this view point and I respect that. Just be aware if you start taunting then I feel like I should taunt too.

Don't get all salty because I'm only returning the favor by taunting back. So yeah, taunts are only bad if you let them be bad.

I'd be more concerned with getting the tag feature blocked, or have somewhat what the 3DS has for the WII U...
I'm mainly a 3ds player, so tags aren't an issue for me. Teabagging is not a thing to me (I mean really? People can up upset over something like that? I think people are just imagining things) I'm just saying a game where somebody beats me and then not does anything is a much better match than if somebody beats me and then triple taunts. You say there will be something else they can do, but I don't think so, at least for the 3ds.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
If you really get pissed off that much by an integrated character animation, that's really your fault, not the players.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
If you really get pissed off that much by an integrated character animation, that's really your fault, not the players.
That's like saying its your fault if racist nametags and insults piss you off.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Guys we should listen. Afterall, taunting can be very unfair. Some known taunt advantages include the following:
  • Extra style points
  • True combos (ex: Falcon Punch > Down Taunt (Show me ya Moves!))
  • Throwing out hurt-boxes with no hit-boxes (unless you're Luigi)
  • and of course, Increased hype
As a Falcon player, I admit, I abuse these advantages each and every game I play, even in tournament. If Sakurai removed taunting, my performance would certainly be much worse compared to what it is now. But it is very advantageous to say the least. Maybe games would be more fair if we removed the aspect of taunts. I think we should also disable crouching, spiking, and all other forms of disrespect to ensure games are as safe and fair for everyone. Not to be taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
That's like saying its your fault if racist nametags and insults piss you off.
... Except it's not.
Taunts are literally just a character animation. I mean, any offensiveness you get from it doesn't make sense, since there's no insults said or exchanged.

Being offended by insults and racist nametags is different, because those are inherently meant to make you feel bad about yourself. They were not purposely placed into the game.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
... Except it's not.
Taunts are literally just a character animation. I mean, any offensiveness you get from it doesn't make sense, since there's no insults said or exchanged.

Being offended by insults and racist nametags is different, because those are inherently meant to make you feel bad about yourself. They were not purposely placed into the game.
Insults are literally just words, whats your point? Taunts are also sometimes used to intentionally insult. And its pretty clear sometimes when your opponent is using them to insult you. ZSS "Is that all?", Sonic, "You're too slow". Peach "lala lala lala. "Bowser Dtaunt is my favorite to insult somebody with after kills.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Overall, while I do not believe that taunts should be removed (and am actually mildly annoyed by the system in place to limit their use online), I can kind of understand the rationale behind the idea of doing so. Yes, some people perceive taunts as offensive, and if you are one of the people in that group, their presence will annoy you. However, the idea of being offended by these actions is akin to being offended by a character's idle animations. Both are clearly intentional elements of the game that offer little to no tactical advantage (for most characters). However, if you still aren't sold, there are at least three major reasons to keep them in the game.

Kirby, Luigi, and Greninja vote No.
This. This thing, right here, above this sentence. These three characters have a move in their arsenal that would no longer be available with taunts banned. While Luigi and Greninja you might argue have little to no use for their taunts (though I would say Greninja does personally when you add in his ability to Shadow Sneak out of his taunts), think about Kirby. If Kirby accidentally copies an ability he doesn't want, or decides that his default inhale is more useful at different phases of play, he is made to be able to ditch his copy ability with a taunt. Removing taunts from online play would be an unnecessary and unfair handicap placed against these characters in online play.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Insults are literally just words, whats your point? Taunts are also sometimes used to intentionally insult. And its pretty clear sometimes when your opponent is using them to insult you. ZSS "Is that all?", Sonic, "You're too slow". Peach "lala lala lala. "Bowser Dtaunt is my favorite to insult somebody with after kills.
Well my point was... well, what I said. These "taunt insults" aren't even catered towards you. If you really get offended by generic phrases, then really I dunno what to tell you. I think the root of the problem is more that you get angered by such things rather than taunting itself. I really don't think people are gonna snap their controller just because Sonic says "COME ON!" while spinning on the floor.

Either way, the removing of taunts would be really dumb anyways. Greninja, Luigi and Kirby, as stated by other players, kinda get uses out of their taunts. Kirby especially, which I can confirm as a Kirby main.

D

Deleted member

Definitely not, if one feels insulted by an empty animation then they're overthinking it.

Teabagging is not a thing to me (I mean really? People can up upset over something like that?)
The same mentality can be applied to taunts.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Definitely not, if one feels insulted by an empty animation then they're overthinking it.

The same mentality can be applied to taunts.
Except most of the time you can easily tell when somebody is using taunts to insult you/make fun of you. Teabagging, not really, no, not at all.

If you have the mindset that none of the taunts in your thousands of matches are being used in that way, then you're just being dense. Which may, I guess, be a good thing (Ignorance is bliss)

A large majority of complaints in the "what grind your gears" thread are from taunts. Go ahead and tell everybody in that thread that they're being upset over nothing. You will be flamed to hell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except most of the time you can easily tell when somebody is using taunts to insult you/make fun of you. Teabagging, not really, no, not at all.

If you have the mindset that none of the taunts in your thousands of matches are being used in that way, then you're just being dense. Which may, I guess, be a good thing (Ignorance is bliss)

A large majority of complaints in the "what grind your gears" thread are from taunts. Go ahead and tell everybody in that thread that they're being upset over nothing. You will be flamed to hell.
I am completely aware that some taunts are used as childish insults. Unlike others, I am simply not overly sensitive and feels hurt if one does taunt.

The main, and only, argument as to why taunts should be banned is because it is rage-inducing. If one feels angered by a taunt, it is their weakness as a player. Manipulating the opponent's emotions and instinct is a legitimate strategy under mindgames. An ideal player should be able to keep his or her emotions under control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility

We aren't being dense, we just don't get offended over silly things. There was no need to call the man dense.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm mainly a 3ds player, so tags aren't an issue for me. Teabagging is not a thing to me (I mean really? People can up upset over something like that? I think people are just imagining things) I'm just saying a game where somebody beats me and then not does anything is a much better match than if somebody beats me and then triple taunts. You say there will be something else they can do, but I don't think so, at least for the 3ds.
People can get upset over anything, especially if they are sensitive enough.

Why is Tea-Bagging exempt from this anyways when it can also be used as a form of disrespect? If you're telling us people shouldn't get upset over Tea-Bagging then shouldn't the same thing be applied to taunts? Taunts are just as harmless as Tea-Bagging after all. Also no one has control over what somebody else does Online. This is the internet and people will do what they please. Why exactly....?

Because what's the worst that could happen? All you can do is report them. Do you honestly think they would care?

Also, that is the 3DS, and yes I'm sure people may stoop to other things to get at you. People have reported finding Replays that have been posted of matches between them and their opponent, who have labeled them in a disrespectful manner of some fashion.

In fact, some SmashBoarders have even claimed to of been attacked on their Miiverse Profiles at times from salty players. Again, taunting isn't the issue at all here. The real issue is how people act. People will find other ways to get at you if they are petty enough. They have absolutely nothing to fear or lose over it since they can hide behind a screen and can't exactly receive an actual punishment.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Like many other folks have said in this thread, if it bothers you that bad then it's your own problem that you need to correct. People are going to use them in offensive ways and there's nothing you can do about it but ignore it. I know sometimes we all let our anger get the best of us, but we can't let it control us. It's better to just enjoy the game rather than get upset over who does what.

I can't stress enough that people will try to find other ways.

People can get that petty Online.

Last edited:

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
I feel like taunts are the cause of lots and lots of rage and broken controllers in this game that I feel it should just be disabled online. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?
I guess disrespect kills should also be banned since they cause rage :p

Top Bottom