• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Smash Bros have real live music?

ScionVyse

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScionVyse
You mean orchestrated, correct? I wouldn't mind say, the new menu themes and main theme being orchestrated, but aside from that, nah. It would be absurdly expensive and take an incredibly long time, considering how much music people have come to expect in these games.

Or are you arguing some metaphysical thing here, challenging the "realness" of the music considering it's in a digital format and not acoustically created? I dunno man, I just wanna talk Smash Bros.

AveryisAwesome

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kingytp546
You mean orchestrated, correct? I wouldn't mind say, the new menu themes and main theme being orchestrated, but aside from that, nah. It would be absurdly expensive and take an incredibly long time, considering how much music people have come to expect in these games.

Or are you arguing some metaphysical thing here, challenging the "realness" of the music considering it's in a digital format and not acoustically created? I dunno man, I just wanna talk Smash Bros.
Technically, I'm talking about music that doesn't have Nintendo related things.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind one awesome orchestrated song/medley for every series but God forbid another abomination like the Fire Emblem theme from Brawl. They totally ruined it :(

ScionVyse

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScionVyse
Technically, I'm talking about music that doesn't have Nintendo related things.
Oh, you're talking about a licensed soundtrack, as in, performed by external artists and licensed for use in the game. I kinda feel that wouldn't work, if it was in the game itself. I'd be more than happy with an option to use our own music in the game, but I'd prefer to keep a Nintendo focused OST.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Damn hippies with your newfangled rap music and your hip hop.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I feel like "real live music" is a confusing term. There is the implication that the music written for the game isn't real music, and the term live makes me think of live performances by an orchestra or other type of band.

With albums and singles in our record stores and radiostations, I say hell no. But the Wii U couldn't hurt to have a CD player and the option to form playlists. In-game music play is used frequently by owners of other consoles and by now it should be standard. For me, however, I am fine with the music that Nintendo's composers wrote.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly, as long as the music sounds good. I do not care if it was "live" or created else where. But I do think Mario Kart 8's OST isn't as impressive as everyone makes it out to be. So I guess I'd rather it not be live(I don't know a better term).

. . .I think that was the question.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Don't tell anyone, but the live play of musicians nintendo has enslaved in their basement are broadcasted to you every time you play a match.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Why on earth would they use non-Nintendo music in a video game that's pretty much a celebration of everything Nintendo? Not to mention, they have so many great songs to choose from within the Nintendo games. I just don't see a point. I mean, I guess you could always turn the music off and then turn on your own music on a stereo or something. It could be cool if they allowed you to play music off your external hard drive or SD card, but I really can't see Nintendo doing that.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Considering the fact that they don't even cover nearly enough of the huge backlog of Nintendo music (9 remixes of DK Jungle Swing and 5 of the Mario ground theme? alright...?) why would they ever need to use " " "real" " " music? In a game that tries to be one big love letter to Nintendo fans? And would they be vocal or instrumental? The vocal songs from WarioWare in Brawl were wonky enough but at least they belonged because they came from a Nintendo game. Plus they'd probably have to have completely different songs for each country to retain any sort of sense of relevancy (even though whatever songs they would pick would become horribly outdated within a year).

...Unless you meant live like orchestrated in which case I thought I heard somewhere this game's music was at least partially orchestrated? Heck when I was little I thought Melee's music was orchestrated too. And I agree with Rockaphin that, while I still like it, Mario Kart 8's soundtrack isn't the best in that series so live orchestra =/= automatically great.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
.....I know it's not the OP's question, but I am PRETTY sure at least a good number of tracks in the game (even the 3DS version) ARE orchestrated.

The Good Egg Galaxy remix DEFINITELY sounds like it was recorded live.

Theta Zero

Smash Cadet
I'm honestly surprised there wasn't an option for custom music in the 3DS version given the fact that the thing has a music player for your MP3s on it. Custom music WOULD be nice but it wouldn't be great functionally online if you're expecting something like music sharing. Even if it was client-side, it would be a mess to program for a feature most people probably wouldn't use.

But you can always just pop in some headphones and mute the in-game music if you want your own tracks playing. That's what I normally do.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
If you mean pop music or anything, well heck yees!
I want to listen to One Direction while playing in Delfino Plaza!

Just kidding, NO... NOT AT ALL!

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Yes, they should be streaming live audio performances of the songs for every. Single. Match.

Top Bottom