• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Should Smash 4 Wii U owners be able to buy 3DS stages as DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I love Smash 4. I have both versions of the game and I got Mewtwo for free. I have bought almost all of the non-Mii fighter costume DLC so far. I play it with my friends everyday and I have 2 Smash trained amiibos. HOWEVER.

I hate that some stages are 3DS only and I have to play awesome stages like Corneria on a tiny screen. I understood the purpose of it when the game came out, as Nintendo wanted to sell both the 3DS and Wii U versions without eating each other's sales and they couldn't have exclusive characters so they could have gameplay parity, so this was their compromise.

However, I feel that now that the game has been out for awhile and the Wii U is clearly the better version to play, why not make the 3DS exclusive stages able to be bought as DLC? I think if they offered all of the 3DS stages as a bundle for $30, (with redefined detail for HD) that would be fair. It wouldn't gimp 3DS owners too much since the console players have to pay almost the same amount as what they're getting (and they would still have Smash run as an exclusive mode). Plus, Nintendo could make money off of people who didn't get the 3DS version, and for those who have both versions and are willing to double dip.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Personally, I'd love this, because I really like Brinstar, Magicant, Mute City, and Arena Ferox.

But, to go with this while keeping it fair to the 3DS version, why not make some Wii U stages DLC for the 3DS? For instance, if you buy the "both versions" bundle, it comes with, for instance, Magicant, Mute City, and Ferox for U, and Stadium 2, Halberd, and Kongo Jungle 64 for 3DS (this also gives the 3DS version equal access to Smash64 stages, which matters to basically nobody but is a cool note regarding this particular example).

I think it'd be a great way to appease both crowds. Obviously there would be limits. Ridley may not work well on the 3DS version (same reason Metal Face isn't there), and the Pac-dots and Golden Plains coins display tracking wouldn't be as neat to implement on the U.

I'd also, obviously, back making Smash Run DLC for the U and Smash Tour DLC for the 3DS (even though that's a terribly unfair trade, and those being exclusive was decided before production even started).

I think it's been a major point that both versions get the same DLC, so I feel like something like this would be an equivalent compromise to the benefit of both.

(Then if only the stages/CSS would align by series instead of DLC/Clone status.)

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
If I could transfer the 3DS stages to my Wii U and the 3DS cartridge were to shatter as payment, I'd be 200% ok with that.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Honestly I'd be content with just having Magicant and Mute City being ported over to the Wii U version. Ness and Falcon deserve better than old stages from previous games. Plus Magicant would look gorgeous in HD.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sector Z should come back instead of Corneria.
They're not really the same, though.

But I totally support the entire Smash64 stagelist returning. And then being properly clumped on the stage select screen, instead of having three of them all isolated on the DLC page.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
$30 would be steep...

But I would like to see a 3ds stage pack.

And giving 3dsers the wii u pack would be ok as well.

For me (And let me be clear, decisions shouldn't just be made because of me. And Me being someone who does not own a 3ds, and life wouldn't get me my money's worth out of it if I did.) the 3ds was a terrible edition to the series in large part to the stages that were given to it because they were from handheld games... really frustrating in cases like Cornera (a favorite level among those I play with) and guredo valley which looks really fun... and there are others that were console before they were ported to handheld.

I wonder how much it would cost for Nintendo to alter the stages from one version to another. Making the 3ds ones HD (with the exceptions of those based on old art styles) and to make the Wii U ones playable on the 3ds.

So yea... I want some of the 3ds stages... I want them badly... but half the price of the game to get them is to steep.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If I could transfer the 3DS stages to my Wii U and the 3DS cartridge were to shatter as payment, I'd be 200% ok with that.

That actually sounds like not a bad idea. Except for the cartridge shattering part, I still need it for local play with my friends. I mean, I picked $20-30 since that would be the profit Nintendo probably would have made on the 3DS version anyway, so why not?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
That actually sounds like not a bad idea. Except for the cartridge shattering part, I still need it for local play with my friends. I mean, I picked $20-30 since that would be the profit Nintendo probably would have made on the 3DS version anyway, so why not?
A mild exaggeration to make the point that the 3DS version would have no use for me if I could transfer the stages over. I should be allowed to. I paid my $40. I have the right to have all stages on one version.

Raijinken

Smash Master
$30 would be steep...

But I would like to see a 3ds stage pack.

And giving 3dsers the wii u pack would be ok as well.

For me (And let me be clear, decisions shouldn't just be made because of me. And Me being someone who does not own a 3ds, and life wouldn't get me my money's worth out of it if I did.) the 3ds was a terrible edition to the series in large part to the stages that were given to it because they were from handheld games... really frustrating in cases like Cornera (a favorite level among those I play with) and guredo valley which looks really fun... and there are others that were console before they were ported to handheld.

I wonder how much it would cost for Nintendo to alter the stages from one version to another. Making the 3ds ones HD (with the exceptions of those based on old art styles) and to make the Wii U ones playable on the 3ds.

So yea... I want some of the 3ds stages... I want them badly... but half the price of the game to get them is to steep.
I have to agree, it's irritating seeing things that are just ports of console games thrown onto the handheld one.

As far as the cost goes, standard pricing currently is $2 per stage (holds true for all four DLC stages when you split Ryu versus his stage). If we, say, picked five stages from each version to port (regardless of which), that would be $10 per version, $20 for a non-money-saving bundle (which is how the character bundle is setup, too). That's pretty standard pricing for a DLC bundle in Smash, and you'd get 5-10 stages depending on which version(s) you play.

Of course, compared to a base game, DLC is virtually always pricey. If you were to ignore all other content in Smash4 and solely price it by characters, the base game is $1.18 per character, which is nearly a fourth the cost of any DLC character. But it's rather expected (considering the team cutting that happens post-release) to charge higher for the extra optional content (more accurately, this is understandable when the development is done post-game-completion). Given the going rate, to get ALL of the 3DS-unique stages, it would cost roughly $60, which is the cost of the new regular game at MSRP, or 150% the cost of the 3DS game.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I have to agree, it's irritating seeing things that are just ports of console games thrown onto the handheld one.

As far as the cost goes, standard pricing currently is $2 per stage (holds true for all four DLC stages when you split Ryu versus his stage). If we, say, picked five stages from each version to port (regardless of which), that would be $10 per version, $20 for a non-money-saving bundle (which is how the character bundle is setup, too). That's pretty standard pricing for a DLC bundle in Smash, and you'd get 5-10 stages depending on which version(s) you play.

Of course, compared to a base game, DLC is virtually always pricey. If you were to ignore all other content in Smash4 and solely price it by characters, the base game is $1.18 per character, which is nearly a fourth the cost of any DLC character. But it's rather expected (considering the team cutting that happens post-release) to charge higher for the extra optional content (more accurately, this is understandable when the development is done post-game-completion). Given the going rate, to get ALL of the 3DS-unique stages, it would cost roughly $60, which is the cost of the new regular game at MSRP, or 150% the cost of the 3DS game.
But the 3DS stages are already designed in Smash 4's engine. While putting in HD detail and making 8 player work is still a fair bit, the building blocks for the stage have already been done, not taking up nearly as much time, nor cost.

Raijinken

Smash Master
But the 3DS stages are already designed in Smash 4's engine. While putting in HD detail and making 8 player work is still a fair bit, the building blocks for the stage have already been done, not taking up nearly as much time, nor cost.
Oh I know that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't probably still charge the same price.

In the most generous form I could see them perhaps making them for half price or something, but when people will pay...

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Oh I know that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't probably still charge the same price.

In the most generous form I could see them perhaps making them for half price or something, but when people will pay...
A relatively cheap pack with all of them at a discount would be a good thing.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

A relatively cheap pack with all of them at a discount would be a good thing.
Smash Bros Ultimate Edition to launch with the NX? :L All stages and exclusive Ice Climbers?
It's an idea that's been thrown around.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros Ultimate Edition to launch with the NX? :L All stages and exclusive Ice Climbers?
It's an idea that's been thrown around.
Smash for NX should be smash 5... one of the appeals of this game is it's lifespan... let's not change that please.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That would be only acceptable if 3DS owners could buy the Wii U stages as well. Otherwise I am totally against the idea :)

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
They should just make some of the stages from the 3DS version as Wii U DLC. That way people would be happy seeing a stage like Corneria return in HD.

I'm still peeved that the 3DS version gets some pretty good stages while the Wii U version gets crappy levels like the Pac-Land stage.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I suppose having Wii U stages on 3DS would be the "fair" thing to do. Though 3DS should NOT have Palutena's Temple or Great Cave Offensive. And I Wii U doesn't need those whatever they're called stages that benefit from the single screen like Golden Plains or Pac Maze or..... I don't really remember a lot of the 3DS stage list. Freaking Find Mii. No one needs that.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
That'd be awesome, mainly because I really want to play on new Mute City, Tortimer's Island, and Cornia without having to go back to the lesser version of Smash 4.

LiX

Smash Rookie
Indeed. Some of the 3DS stages are awesome and would fit brilliant into Smash4. I wouldn't mind for them being DLC. I'd buy them, Sakurai!

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
They should have done this a long time ago. It is a better meta because we get good stages like prism tower, arena ferox as a potential counterpick, Reset Bomb Forest and some other ones for a competitive meta. It also just adds more FG stages and casual stages for the WiiU owners.

It also wouldn't require much work out of them, just editing the visuals a bit and scaling it to size maybe? But just not 30 dollars, maybe 10?

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
They should have done this a long time ago. It is a better meta because we get good stages like prism tower, arena ferox as a potential counterpick, Reset Bomb Forest and some other ones for a competitive meta. It also just adds more FG stages and casual stages for the WiiU owners.

It also wouldn't require much work out of them, just editing the visuals a bit and scaling it to size maybe? But just not 30 dollars, maybe 10?
And 3DS can have Smashville, Town and City, Lylat, Kongo Jungle 64, Duck Hunt, and some of the smaller stages that can work on 3DS.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd love for Jungle Japes and Yoshi's Island to be ported over because of nostalgia.

I don't think I'd even play on the stages that often, just the fact that the stages are present in the data is enough for me.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I want to buy all the stages. Many of them i actually like more than he Wii U stages.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
And 3DS can have Smashville, Town and City, Lylat, Kongo Jungle 64, Duck Hunt, and some of the smaller stages that can work on 3DS.
It would be a fair trade.. I want the fun 3ds stages for myself and am all for the 3ds getting all the stages it can handle... though it does nothing for me personally.

The question here is how long does Nintendo want the two noticeably different in this way to encourage sales of both. At some point, a time will come where the possible DLC buys will out profit the possible buy both versions buys... but s that time now?

I selfishly wish this never was a handheld... I liked it better when anything could be a source for my console than what we have now. (3ds owners who love that version will disagree, hence why I said selfishly.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen both ways. But I don't think it'll happen because it cheapens the other version. Why buy SSBU for the SMG stage when you can buy it for a buck on 3DS? Most people here sound like they'd sell their SSB3D if they got the stages they want on SSBU...

Soul.

It's possible, but I would only accept the idea if 3DS gets some Wii U stages. Think Smashville/Town and City/Lylat/maybe Duck Hunt I guess?

Most people here sound like they'd sell their SSB3D if they got the stages they want on SSBU...
Could be because almost everyone neglects the 3DS version, I dunno. It just seems like people are neglecting it.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Yeah, I like the sound of that. I would love to be able to play Rainbow Road, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train, Prism Tower, and Magnicient. Only problem is that some of these stages have their music used up by other stages... so I don't know how it would be handled.

And while we're at it, maybe get some Wii U stages on the 3DS, that can be played. Mario Galaxy and Pilot Wings could work. Maybe Skyworld and several others.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I like the sound of that. I would love to be able to play Rainbow Road, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Train, Prism Tower, and Magnicient. Only problem is that some of these stages have their music used up by other stages... so I don't know how it would be handled.

And while we're at it, maybe get some Wii U stages on the 3DS, that can be played. Mario Galaxy and Pilot Wings could work. Maybe Skyworld and several others.

If we got some cool stages... then some duplicate music would probably be ok under the circumstances. Though admittedly it is fun to listen to the songs that come with a stage... especially those that invite back old memories of the stages source material into mind.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I can agree with this 10 fold. There's some Stages on the 3DS that I would really love to have and play, and since I don't own a 3DS (though I may end up buying one eventually) it kind of makes me a little disheartened. As the TC stated I can understand why they did that for those reasons and can't really complain as those are completely valid ones. One thing I did dislike though was the lack of stages, or rather new stage choices the Wii U had. They're making up for it with Stage DLC though, so there's that.

If they did do this, and only gave certain stages from 3DS to Wii U I feel like they should do the same for the 3DS. I don't believe all the Wii U stages will work on the 3DS (Great Cave Offensive for example) but there's some they can add for them too. Seems pretty fair and reasonable to me. But yes, I love this idea and wish it will happen. Maybe they may surprise us one day by doing this...

TheXpDiamond

Smash Rookie
NNID
breck768
I know exactly why they haven't ported 3ds stages to wii u:

1. You would have no reason to buy the 3ds version other than maybe Smash Run.

2. Sm4sh 3DS owners would be cheated and would want wii u stages on 3ds.

And to be fair, it would be hard, but not impossible to make a select few of the 3ds stages in the wii u stage maker. The Pac-Maze stage, for example. Obviously we wouldnt have the visuals, but idgaf about visuals if Corneria is in the Wii U version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom