• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Smash 4 have unlockables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't know what Sakurai said in any interviews but I'm wondering about having unlockable characters in general.

Most fighting games these days have the whole cast available at the start to appeal to the hardcore market who don't want to leap through hoops to have all the cast available but I feel unlockables are a part of Smash's appeal, even in this age of finding out secrets online.

Roster starts out small and you slowly build it up meaning you get enough time to learn all the starter characters and learn the new ones as they come. There's a sense of achievement about it too. You got Ness in 64, you EARNED it. Mewtwo in Melee, you EARNED it. Wolf in Brawl, f**king EARNED it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Having to unlock characters have never been a problem in Smash Bros, quite the opposite, it's always been great unlocking characters. I'd be saddened if they removed it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
YES.

Half of the fun of playing the game comes from unlocking the characters and seeing the "Challenger approaching!" screen, EVEN if you know the whole roster beforehand.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I hope the Challenger Approaching screen is as intimidating as the Melee one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I do get pretty excited when I see the challenger approaching screen even if I already knew I was going to see it since I fulfilled the criteria and all.

I hope it returns though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Absolutely, I love the thrill of unlocking new characters, music, stages and the like. It's not like it's impossible to unlock anything, the majority of things can be unlocked if you play enough vs matches.

Smash bros without unlockables wouldn't feel right.

In regards to competitive players, considering all the stages banned in brawl I don't think Sakurai cares much about helping out the competitive scene.

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie
Nintendo always has at least half the roster be unlockable. I'm sure that it'll be no different in this game.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
why would Smash not have unlockables that's the fun thing about it just seeing "Challenger Approaching" when you least or never expect it to happen it happened to me a lot in Melee especially with Mewtwo I didn't even know he was in the game and god as much of a pokemon fan I am I had a pokegasm whenI unlocked him. But I hope we get the Challeneger Approaching Screen and music from Melee back it just felt awesome listening to the siren before I clicked A to battle.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't know what Sakurai said in any interviews but I'm wondering about having unlockable characters in general.

Most fighting games these days have the whole cast available at the start to appeal to the hardcore market who don't want to leap through hoops to have all the cast available but I feel unlockables are a part of Smash's appeal, even in this age of finding out secrets online.

Roster starts out small and you slowly build it up meaning you get enough time to learn all the starter characters and learn the new ones as they come. There's a sense of achievement about it too. You got Ness in 64, you EARNED it. Mewtwo in Melee, you EARNED it. Wolf in Brawl, f**king EARNED it.
There will be unlockables. The thought that they're wouldn't be should have never even crossed your mind.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Definitely. Having characters, stages, music, items, collectibles etc unlockable is much more rewarding than having them all available from the start, and it gives you an extra incentive to keep on playing so you can get them all.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to more interesting and surprising ways to unlock characters. In Brawl you could unlock everything just by playing through the SSE once. Melee sprung a new character on you for fulfilling much more varied critera. I hope the game can surprise me again.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Yes, because I'm going in blind for this one. (I looked up how to unlock everything for Melee and Brawl beforehand.)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Characters and stages? Yes.
Music and Trophies? Yes
Stickers if they return? Yes

Nonsense like Masterpiece demos? No. In fact just remove those altogether.

I still believe Luigi is going to be unlockable even though he's been revealed already. Why break with tradition?

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
You know what great about Super Street Fighter 4? There were, like, a billion characters. And I could play as all of them as soon as I turned it on. I say screw hidden characters. Just give me all of them.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I prefer hidden characters stay unlockable it would take out the fun of Smash if you couldn't unlock them.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure there will still be unlockables. There were always unlockables since the first SSB game so I think the more interesting question will be who is unlockable and who will be a starter character.

I could imagine some characters from new franchises will be playable right from the beginning. In Brawl Olimar was a starter, so a few people have asked themself who this guy could be. So if Nintendo wants to put characters from new franchises in, they will most likely be available from the beginning. In Brawl, only R.O.B. was an unlockable that couldn't be really count to another franchise (and if so it would have been Mario Kart because of Mario Kart DS), the other unlockable newcomers were part of an existing franchise. I guess that Nintendo will act the same way as in Brawl. New franchises with their representant will be starters, while a few representants from established franchises will be unlockables.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm pretty sure there will still be unlockables. There were always unlockables since the first SSB game so I think the more interesting question will be who is unlockable and who will be a starter character.

I could imagine some characters from new franchises will be playable right from the beginning. In Brawl Olimar was a starter, so a few people have asked themself who this guy could be. So if Nintendo wants to put characters from new franchises in, they will most likely be available from the beginning. In Brawl, only R.O.B. was an unlockable that couldn't be really count to another franchise (and if so it would have been Mario Kart because of Mario Kart DS), the other unlockable newcomers were part of an existing franchise. I guess that Nintendo will act the same way as in Brawl. New franchises with their representant will be starters, while a few representants from established franchises will be unlockables.
While it's possible that all new franchises could be starters, we have to remember...

These guys were unlockable. :marthmelee: :roymelee:

D

Deleted member

Why wouldn't there be unlockables? Unlocking everything/as much as you can is incredibly fun as you just want to see every single thing in SSB.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh of course! Don't take away that thrill of-
WARNING! WARNING! NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!
Whazzat!? Who who!? Whaaaaa!! Ganondorf is in this game!! My sis and I were just playing Ocarina of Time! Ohhhhh my gosh!!
So yeah, keep surprising me please ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom