• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Nintendo make an Animal Crossing for the Wii U?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hmm, I remember the director said something about not making one because City Folk nearly killed the series, which then lead to the ACNL shortages/delays we should all remember.

It's probably going to be a handheld series from now on.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It's because City Folk was a rehashy, gimmick-laden sequel. Hands down least enjoyable game in the series.

Please cite your source. I'm curious about this statement. They have a clean slate to work with the Wii U, especially after New Leaf. Also, I bet the post-mortem for City Folk would've outlined what not to repeat.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's because City Folk was a rehashy, gimmick-laden sequel. Hands down least enjoyable game in the series.

Please cite your source. I'm curious about this statement. They have a clean slate to work with the Wii U, especially after New Leaf. Also, I bet the post-mortem for City Folk would've outlined what not to repeat.
They bring it up in the ACNL Iwata asks where they come to the conclusion that AC isn't wanted on full systems anymore. Much like Fire Emblem Awakening, ACNL was created as something of a series finale. The fact that ACNL needed special cards for faster saving combined with the incredibly low sales expectations is what caused the massive delays outside of Japan. They'd rather make ACNL2 like Fire Emblem and If instead of risk another failure.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
While that would be pretty nice, I think Animal Crossing works much better as a handheld game. Not being able to take it anywhere would be kinda lame.

Also, what was so bad about City Folk? I never played it. What makes it worse compared to the original and Wild World?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I find the notion that Higuchi doesn't want another console Animal Crossing highly fallacious. The franchise alternates for every new Nintendo platform and there hasn't been a major sales flop on any game to stray too far away from any previous sales precedent. Have you seen the demand online for a Wii U Animal Crossing? There's definitely demand for a console one and it makes sense, especially with the Wii U's increased power and functions. You could make a completely new online experience that is optimized for a stationary console experience to differentiate the handheld experience.

Not to mention, Nogami's been pretty tight-lipped about the whole matter.

Also, what was so bad about City Folk? I never played it. What makes it worse compared to the original and Wild World?
City Folk gets most of its hate due to being a lackluster rehash of a sequel that relied on a gimmick as its main feature (the eponymous city). Extra hate is warranted to it due to the fact that it introduced a bunch of erroneous mechanics that pissed off players more than it was meant to help them (grass weardown, villager furniture-attachment via Animal Inventories).

City Folk's only slightly better than Wild World for reintroducing regional holidays and allowing players to split between houses, which makes it a little closer to how functional the original Animal Crossing was.

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Animal Crossing for the Wii U is a great idea! Maybe it will help the Wii U in sales.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You mean like an actual Animal Crossing game and not a Mario Party-style game like amiibo Festival? I would definitely spent my money on that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
From the consumer's perspective sure. The Wii U desperately needs more quality games and more games with large audiences.

From Nintendo's perspective, not at this point. At this point they'd be better off just making it for the NX (which they're probably doing anyway) considering the turnaround time for the series. Animal Crossing Party exists partly to fill the void of a console AC on Wii U and partly as an amiibo cash-grab. :/

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I think their next AC game (I do not acknowledge amiibo festival) could pull a sm4sh and be both on WiiU and 3DS.. I'm not sure if that's possible, but AC just screams "play me on a portable!" honestly. I don't see myself playing AC on a console again after the original one on the GC (which I spend a lot of time on as a kid, loved it, big part of my childhood).

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I seriously was hoping for a new AC game for the Wii U this E3, but Nintendo came up with that amiibo Festival crap instead. At this point, the next real AC installment will most likely end up on the NX along with the next Metroid. Might as well since the Wii U's a dead console to me now. :/

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I seriously was hoping for a new AC game for the Wii U this E3, but Nintendo came up with that amiibo Festival crap instead. At this point, the next real AC installment will most likely end up on the NX along with the next Metroid. Might as well since the Wii U's a dead console to me now. :/
We've still got SFZ and Zelda U coming. That's at least another two (hopefully) good titles coming to the Wii U.

D

Deleted member

They should because I want it. Selfish, but seriously it'd be awesome to have an Animal Crossing on hardware that's Wii U level with the improved online functions + the Game Pad making it easy to communicate. I think it'd be nice for Wii U owners too to have a social game to play with their friends since the Wii U is lacking in that at the moment.

I suppose you could say Mario Party is that, but it lacks online and it's a little competitive. Animal Crossing is just chillin' with your buds which is cool.

Top Bottom