• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should New Players Learn to Play Samus?

Alternative

Smash Rookie
NNID
fs_Alternative
Hi! I'm new to Melee, and Samus seem fun. I understand that she is hard to do well with on a competitive level. I am a Marth main in PM, and I CAN just play him in Melee if I have to. Samus just seems more interesting than him. The overall question that can apply to more people than just myself would be: Is it worth it for a new player to start playing Samus over an S tier character?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Play who you want to play. If you play Samus and realize two or three months down the line that you don't want to anymore, switch to who you want to play.

Outside of character specific tech (which still does translate sometimes), you don't hurt yourself too much to switch characters. It's a setback for sure, but I spent ~9 months playing Sheik before I switched to Samus and it only took about a month for me to do as well with Samus as I did with Sheik, and only about 2 months to surpass my performances with Sheik.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Hi! I'm new to Melee, and Samus seem fun. I understand that she is hard to do well with on a competitive level. I am a Marth main in PM, and I CAN just play him in Melee if I have to. Samus just seems more interesting than him. The overall question that can apply to more people than just myself would be: Is it worth it for a new player to start playing Samus over an S tier character?
You ask the wrong question, a new player should play and learn to play every character to have a complete fundamental knowledge of movement and attacks of every character to learn MUs and how they are played at the highest level

Top Bottom