• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Luigi have been made a Joke Fighter?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You know, like Dan Hibiki.

Sakurai made it his way to make Green L as Comedic as Pathetic as he can be. Moreso than in his source games. And the Japanese audience do like him as a loser Butt Monkey who is easily as overlooked as Kellam from Fire Emblem: Awakening for the Nintendo 3DS.

He's a Lame-o. He's meant to be one, so why not fight as one?

Still would be better than Pichu, though.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
To me, he's a joke character that's easy to underestimate. His side B looks hilarious and pathetic, untill he misfires across the screen killing people at like, 60%.

His Up B is silly and falty! untill it sends you skyrocketing to mars

Hohoho man! Look at that down taunt, poor luig-*denied*

sims796

Smash Cadet
Er, what? The game shown him as being a cowardly loser, yet no less capable than Mario in every aspect...except the one that really matters, jumping ability, where he excels. Mario and Luigi, multiple platformers, etc.

Last edited:

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Luigi's comical nature is but a facade for the immense ass-whooping he's capable of dishing out to all that oppose him.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He is more of a fighting clown. His attacks are silly, but still quite powerful. He basically kills you while you're laughing at him. :p

I like his current characterization, to be honest. I can't say I'd like to see him become like Jigglypuff who is heavily reliant on Rest and walls of pain, to perform well, as she has a higher learning curve.

:231:

sims796

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Jigglypuff, it was meant to be the true joke character in the series.

D

Deleted member

Luigi is not a joke character.
Luigi is intended to be the comical character of the Smash series and this has been seen since the very beginning (his dash attack is crazy and his victory poses are hilarious... swaggin' on em). As such, a lot of his moves are pretty ridiculous and unusual for fighting game standards (such as his dash attack and Green Missile for example).
Luigi is a coward, but he will do anything to help out his brother and save the Mushroom Kingdom. His moveset represents this characteristic; he has awkward and cowardly attacks, but some of his attacks are powerful to compensate for this.

If anything, Pichu is the joke character. His trophy in Melee literally states that it is a pathetic, weak fighter, the character hurts itself for almost all of its moveset, and it was intended to be the worst character in the game.

CapnMelon

Smash Rookie
Luigi only pretends to be weak and cowardly to hide how much of a total G he truly is.
Up until he gets fed up with Mario's ****, that's how Mario Kart 8 was made.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Luigi is not a joke character.
Luigi is intended to be the comical character of the Smash series and this has been seen since the very beginning (his dash attack is crazy and his victory poses are hilarious... swaggin' on em). As such, a lot of his moves are pretty ridiculous and unusual for fighting game standards (such as his dash attack and Green Missile for example).
Luigi is a coward, but he will do anything to help out his brother and save the Mushroom Kingdom. His moveset represents this characteristic; he has awkward and cowardly attacks, but some of his attacks are powerful to compensate for this.

If anything, Pichu is the joke character. His trophy in Melee literally states that it is a pathetic, weak fighter, the character hurts itself for almost all of its moveset, and it was intended to be the worst character in the game.
And Jigglypuff is the Lethal Joke Character.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well, Honestly, I still think Sakurai's group went a little too far with Luigi's portrayal in this.

Yes, he was silly and clumsy in his own games, but not too this extent. Smash Luigi does thinks the Real Luigi wouldn't think of doing without reason, like that... "Planking" taunt.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi only pretends to be weak and cowardly to hide how much of a total G he truly is.
Now I want to make a fanfic outta this >:D.

...But hey, my English aren't that good (Oftentimes repeat the same words over and over and over again). But... I'll try I guess?

Well, Honestly, I still think Sakurai's group went a little too far with Luigi's portrayal in this.
It does fits his character, but... yeah... a little overboard. Like... dash attack... seriously, why didn't Mr. Sakurai give him something that is also goofy but not something that is so bad? That tripping attack Wario and G&W (Not D3 please, lol) have. That'd also suit his character and doesn't make his DA so bad (Again, not D3's trip. That thing is beyond awful). Or maybe Luigi lunges forward, heatbutting his opponent? That'd also work.

Punch Butt Combo is good enough.
FJP helpless animation fits his character well, but that made his landing lag is like... good 3 seconds...
Green Missile... is okay... Luigi charges, and then shoot like a rocket. And then there's misfire... good for portraying his randomness...and that 'head gets stuck in the wall' gag.
Now his expression... he gets scared for half of his own attacks. Okay, that worked well.
Taunts... pretty okay with me.
Victory animations... Okay, why did that 'planking' and 'dash attack' victories are made again?

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923

...But hey, my English aren't that good (Oftentimes repeat the same words over and over and over again). But... I'll try I guess?

It does fits his character, but... yeah... a little overboard. Like... dash attack... seriously, why didn't Mr. Sakurai give him something that is also goofy but not something that is so bad? That tripping attack Wario and G&W (Not D3 please, lol) have. That'd also suit his character and doesn't make his DA so bad (Again, not D3's trip. That thing is beyond awful). Or maybe Luigi lunges forward, heatbutting his opponent? That'd also work.

Punch Butt Combo is good enough.
FJP helpless animation fits his character well, but that made his landing lag is like... good 3 seconds...
Green Missile... is okay... Luigi charges, and then shoot like a rocket. And then there's misfire... good for portraying his randomness...and that 'head gets stuck in the wall' gag.
Now his expression... he gets scared for half of his own attacks. Okay, that worked well.
Taunts... pretty okay with me.
Victory animations... Okay, why did that 'planking' and 'dash attack' victories are made again?
Exactly

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I already have ;) [ish]

But yeah, Weegee is fine in this game. Better than 64 and Melee, right? [Except his awesome laugh from Melee during his star KO...miss that one, so maniacal!

Top Bottom