• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Luigi be considered a semi-clone or a clone at all...

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Luigi should even be considered a semi-clone. He may have some Mario properties, but he's such a different character that it's hard to call him a semi-clone.

What do you think?

StevoPhilo

Smash Rookie
Not at all. Really the only thing that is similar in these 2 characters is the Nair and that's probably about it.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It'd be OK in Brawl, but here, Luigi has a completely separate playstyle from Mario. He pretty much has the Doc Complex, the moves that look the same, function differently. Like you'd never use Mario's Nair to kill, nor would you use his back air to kill, but with Luigi, a fresh sweet back air is going to kill. Two similar LOOKING characters that function differently. Not a clone at all. Reminds me of Wolf, Sakurai rest his soul.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Luigi was a clone in Smash 64, and a bit of that carried over to Melee.

Since Brawl, the characters have diverged pretty radically, there's just no way to call Luigi a clone anymore.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Thing is, people are looking 'clones' as characters who have similiar animations from their originals.

Now I am confused, what determines a 'clone'?

D

Deleted member

I don't think Luigi is a clone any more.
He does share similar moves with Mario, which makes sense towards Luigi's character where he is similar to Mario and Luigi is Mario's younger twin brother. However, I think their properties is what makes them different from each other; Luigi's air speed is worse, has terrible traction, his jump is amazing, and he has a different gameplay style as a juggler. Not to mention that he has a completely unique Final Smash, different weights, unique custom moves, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriTails

Smash Lord
One thing that is unique about him is that, his sex kick is the only sex kick that sends enemy UPWARDS. Or is there any other sex kick that shares this trait?

So whereas Mario, Link, and other characters uses sex kick as an edgeguarding and apporaching tool, Luigi uses his sex kick to kill, juggle and approach. Quite funny, eh?

One thing I will never understand about him. How come for like, 4 games of smashing, yet he never changes his shoes. Eh, but I guess it's part if his character.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Luigi is at this point no longer a clone or semi clone at all. It bothers me that people still keep crying "CLONE!" over small similar moves. Falco gets mocked at lot for being a clone in Melee and he's so drastically changed in this game and people still cry "CLONE!".

A_male_platypus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Platypusaurus
He looks and feels similar to Mario but plays drastically different.
Uair, Bair, Nair, Dthrow, Bthrow, Fthrow, Uthrow, first 2 hits of Jab, fireballs, Dsmash, Usmash, etc. are all very similar in animation. And if you were to describe any of those moves to someone who had never played Smash before, you would probably describe them the same way for Mario and Luigi. I.E. you would describe Dsmash as a break-dance move for both of them, and Uair as a backflip-kick or something similar.

If that constitutes as a clone, then yes, I'd say so. But they play so differently that they're not interchangeable.

Edit: Regardless, Luigi's persona in itself is kind of clone-ish. So it would make more sense for him to be similar to Mario than say Ganondorf to Falcon. They're brothers, and are basically attached at the hip. They rarely leave each other's side. So it'd make sense for them to have similar fighting styles.

Last edited:

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
Nope! Well, as some other users has already stated Luigi has a few similarities to Mario over past games but that has changed a lot.Look how floaty and slidey Luigi is for example, That is one huge difference in playstyle.

Besides, they are brothers that come from the same game with similar moves, so of course they must have a little similarity.

Luigi-man

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yassinius
3DS FC
5284-1979-1070
Luigi has some moves that look similair to mario's, but they all have different properties. Playing with Luigi really feels like playing with a different character.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Not anymore; :4luigi: adds unique traits to some of :4mario:'s moves such as his Fire Jump Punch and horizontal Fireballs. Unlike :4mario:, however, :4luigi: is able to combo opponents easier. He's pretty much the Ken and Dan Hibiki of Smash Bros.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well, I'd say what I think, but honestly it's been said over and over again, so there you go. Of course this is the Luigi forum, so if you went and asked others you may get different opinions.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'm not a Luigi (or any of the mario cast for that matter) main but I can definitely tell the difference between playing against a mario, luigi, and dr. mario. It honestly cracks me up when people say they are clones. I feel like that would be similar to saying that Greninja is a clone of Lucario. Not only are the playstyles different, but their weight, speed, and just about everything else about them is different. It's just those certain moves that are the same. I like to think that it's because they are brother and therefore grew up together so they probably would have common traits, right?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Luigi is in some ways still similar to Mario, but that's to be expected being related and all. Since SSBM, Luigi has pretty much become his own character as he was the first and only character to be decloned at the time, otherwise known as Luigification. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the term I use for characters who have been decloned in subsequent games instead of just calling them clones or semi-clones(unless a character is a flat-out clone). Anyway, said characters haven't changed much since being Luigified, so I still refer to them as such.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Besides have similar looking moves, he plays nothing like Mario or Doc. Honestly, I didn't even know he was considered a clone at some point. I actually have trouble playing as Doc because he has such a different style haha.

Top Bottom