• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Lucario talk like he did in Brawl?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
In Brawl, Lucario could talk using what Sakurai refers to as "a sort of telephaty". Do you think he should still talk like this? Or should he be limited to saying his name and yelling random things like "Roah" and "Ha!"?

Gune

Smash Lord
If he stopped talking it would be really weird I'm really used to brawl lucario., that being said I hope were able to change the language this time because Daisuke Namikawa does such a awesome Lucario voice...

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
He definitely shouldn't just grunt/say his own name.

Although it would be cool for Sean Schemmel to voice him once again.

If he talks he needs to say something besides "aura." He likes aura. It's his gimmick and that's fine, but he can say something different on his victory screen every once and awhile?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I guess I'll be the first to come out against him having dialogue this time around. When he was added to Brawl, his movie was still recent and it's obvious that much of his popularity was coasting off of that. Now, however, the movie is no longer recent nor relevant, and Lucario stands as a breakout character regardless of anime tie-in marketing. Lucario's known more as "that one badass Pokemon that is really good at sweeping" than the star of a film. Lucario's current relevance lays in the video game realm of the franchise. I think he should therefore adopt a more "generic" persona that consists of typical grunts and shouts, to better reflect his prominence as a species overall than as a distinctive character from a movie. Use of in-game cries from X/Y would be nice, but I assume they'd do something more akin to the anime, which is fine enough, I suppose.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think he's most likely gonna talk like before and although I would prefer Sean Schemmel we're probably gonna get Bill Rodger cause that was his brawl voice

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I guess I'll be the first to come out against him having dialogue this time around. When he was added to Brawl, his movie was still recent and it's obvious that much of his popularity was coasting off of that. Now, however, the movie is no longer recent nor relevant, and Lucario stands as a breakout character regardless of anime tie-in marketing. Lucario's known more as "that one badass Pokemon that is really good at sweeping" than the star of a film. Lucario's current relevance lays in the video game realm of the franchise. I think he should therefore adopt a more "generic" persona that consists of typical grunts and shouts, to better reflect his prominence as a species overall than as a distinctive character from a movie. Use of in-game cries from X/Y would be nice, but I assume they'd do something more akin to the anime, which is fine enough, I suppose.

Lucario was essentially this in Brawl, albeit with one or two actual speaking lines. I imagine the same to happen again this time around.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Hate to be this person but

Gune

Smash Lord

But that's how sakurai views him as the heroic aura pokemon from the movie so I doubt because now people know Lucario as a deadly Sweeper sakurai looks at him any different than he did 6 years ago.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Same voice actor different lines, not every sentence he says has to have the word aura in it
Yeah, totally, something like: "I can see you even with my eyes closed!" or since he's based in the movie Lucario "Master, If only you could hear me..." would be really cool.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, totally, something like: "I can see you even with my eyes closed!" or since he's based in the movie Lucario "Master, If only you could hear me..." would be really cool.
Those sound awesome, I mean seriously I get that the aura is his gimmick but not every line needs the word in it

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually really liked his voice in Brawl, it adds to his character. I suppose it reaffirms that this is THE Lucario, not a generic Lucario. That is something that pertains to my interests.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, it was weird to hear him in French the first time, along the Trainer (pokémon names don't really shock, as I know them, but hearing actual french is always surprising :laugh: ), but if he stopped talking, something would be missing.

"Attention au pouvoir de l'aura!" :troll: His French voice wasn't bad, actually. Can't say the same for the trainer.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Please no, it's so painful to listen to in French.

'Attention au pouvoir de l'aura'... I mean, come on...

Well, it was weird to hear him in French the first time, along the Trainer (pokémon names don't really shock, as I know them, but hearing actual french is always surprising :laugh: ), but if he stopped talking, something would be missing.

"Attention au pouvoir de l'aura!" :troll: His French voice wasn't bad, actually. Can't say the same for the trainer.
Deidara : How about 'Attention au pouvoir de Laura ?' :trollface:

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
well if Meowth can talk, I see nothing wrong with Lucario being able to speak. Granted I don't like basing the pokemon characters off of the anime (they originally had growls, rather than saying their own name). However it is quite clear that smash has a lot of basis off of the anime so I won't argue part of the fact. Either let Lucario speak or make the pokemon have growls comparative to Pokemon: the origin.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Same voice actor different lines, not every sentence he says has to have the word aura in it
I <3 you.

<3

If you've ever played Marvel Vs Capcom as Phoenix she has the same bad characterization problem, only talking about her "Phoenix force" powers in every line.

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
he should talk just like he did in brawl, but one of his taunts should have him make the cry from the games, I think it should be his up taunt.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I would like him to still talk but have more lines as well. When he counters he could say "Where are you looking?" or "I`m behind you".

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I would like him to still talk but have more lines as well. When he counters he could say "Where are you looking?" or "I`m behind you".
He actually does have a line when he successfully counters already.
It's just very silent. If you go into sound room in brawl you can hear him go "It's over." without all the other noises that cloud it out during a match.

negativeX

Smash Apprentice

Screw Lucario's voice, what the heck is wrong with Brock's?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Course he is gonna talk, that Lucario was not just any random Lucario from the games or anime, it was the protagonist from the 10th movie, just like the Mewtwo they used was the one from the first movie.

Also, if we are going to say that the anime holds no precedence at all just look at the voices of the pokemon cast. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur and the pokemon summons all have their anime voices in which they mostly say their names; unlike their videogame incarnations where they just growl or cry. The source material is mostly derived from the games sure, but saying that Lucario shouldn't have his voice back because he only remains well-known in the realms of the games is preposterous.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I think he's most likely gonna talk like before and although I would prefer Sean Schemmel we're probably gonna get Bill Rodger cause that was his brawl voice
It's confirmed, that Sean Schemmel is coming back to voice Lucario for these games, which means we have the real Lucario back in the game (he should have voiced him in Brawl rather than Bill Rogers (who was voicing him at the time when the anime rolled around).

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Definitely want some Lucario talking during taunts or after killing someone.
:4lucario:Approves

Edit: Talking about this might make Lucario a chatter-box but could praise someone with one line for clanking with his moves (aura) like, "Impressive" or "Such strong aura!..."

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Nice! I really liked how Lucario talked in Brawl, it's neat to see he has the same cool voice.

Top Bottom