• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should i view unlocking things as a burden?

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
Im just wondering if you guys take on the task of unlocking everything such as stages or characters by following systematic steps and goals (as outlined on the dojo website).. or... would you unlock things 'on the go'?

Im interested because i hate the view of unlocking characters, music and stages as a 'chore' but i also want to get everything fast or asap.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
I unlock things on the go unless its a character i really want to unlock first like Falco for example..thats the very first thing ill unlock in brawl lol. 100 Man melee ftw.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
All I plan on doing is playing through every game mode BEFORE starting SSE. Whoever I unlock from doing those things will be fine. If I get stuck then I'll resort to SSE or look up how to get (insert character here), then move on.

My goal is to play through the game at a casual pace and unlock everything in time.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'll try to unlock things quickly, but not make it a tedious task of 450 one second matches.

I'll probably play some VS matches Sunday before I go to bed after I pick up the game to get some feel for it, then the next day my brothers and I will play and unlock some characters and stages. Once they are done I'll probably hit SSE.

I'd say I'll have the roster/stages over the course of 2 days, but other than that I don't know. I don't plan to make clearing the entire game a burden. It's all in how you look at it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well in melee I just played what I wanted to play and just try different things and the characters and stages came in time. I wasn't too worried about unlocking characters because I was having fun playing the game. (that and the fact I didn't know who the unlockable characters were)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am going to try to unlock as many characters as quick as I can.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to unlock things on the go. Well, I guess it works out nicely for me because the character that I am planning to use (Link) is part of the starting roster. For people who absolutely must use Wolf ASAP... well, sucks to be you. But at least it takes less time to unlock things in Brawl than in Melee.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Why should the way WE choose to unlock stuff affect how YOU feel about it?
If you want to unlock everything quickly, just use Brawl Central's database. You can unlock everything in like two days if you know how.

rove

Smash Apprentice
My plans for unlocking stuff are to actually have fun while doing it.
In melee I didn't really have a chance to enjoy it since I was to hung up on trying to unlock everything as fast as I could.
Thats what I advise all of you to do, have fun now, because sooner or later you'll regret it.

mcquee23

Smash Rookie
I want to do SSE right at the start, so I'll unlock what I can from there. And once I get all of the characters, I don't care too much about the rest of the stuff. I'll go at a leisurely pace to get the stages and other unlockables, once I have a full selection of characters to choose from.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
I've always considered that, the longer something took you to unlock something, the more rewarding it is. That's why I'm so disappointed all of the chars (except Snake and Sonic) announced on the Dojo are there from the start.
So I'm going to do it on the go. Maybe avoid the SSE, as that's just WAY too easy.

Why should the way WE choose to unlock stuff affect how YOU feel about it?
...it's called a forum. It's for talking.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably just going to unlock everyone via the Subspace Emissary. It looks cool and should only take around 8-10 hours to unlock every character through it.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to unlock things on the go. Well, I guess it works out nicely for me because the character that I am planning to use (Link) is part of the starting roster. For people who absolutely must use Wolf ASAP... well, sucks to be you. But at least it takes less time to unlock things in Brawl than in Melee.
*Raises hand* yea...i need wolf...so i guess its the 450 1 sec matches for me.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I didnt mind unlocking things in melee, but in brawl i wanna go online asap so it is quite annoying.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
On the go, that way you're not expecting the character to arise and you'll be all like "ZOMG WTF?!?!?!" when it says "Challenger Approaching"

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to treat it as a one-player game and simply focus on the SSE all the way through, for fun more than characters, but unlocking everything will be a by-product I guess. I'll go and unlock all stages/music after this.

blingchu

Smash Cadet
no. That's like saying "aw man, why do i have to have sex with a beautiful woman to get a free 5 pound steak sandwhich?"

Top Bottom