• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I Stick with Pikachu?

frownifdown

Smash Rookie
I played a bunch of Pikachu in the demo and really liked his speed, but now that I've taken him competitively I find that I get KO'd pretty easily. I have a decent record (about 60% after ~160 matches) but when I face a really skilled player I ind it hard to get KOs. I know that a tradeoff with Pikachu is the speed for strength, but it's so frustrating sometimes. Do I need to just practice even more to get better or should I just get a new main. I really like Pikachu, but I love winning even more. a really good player here could match me a couple times and give me some tips?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Pikachu is a capable character that requires some higher level reads to get kills at respectable percents. The road to improvement is usually not short unless you're just gifted like that. As someone who's done the competitive thing for a while, I would honestly suggest to play what you LOVE first and the wins will follow if you're dedicated and really work at shortcomings as a player. And perhaps pick up a secondary that helps you in tougher matchups where getting the kill is really important (Lucario for example).

frownifdown

Smash Rookie
Pikachu is a capable character that requires some higher level reads to get kills at respectable percents. The road to improvement is usually not short unless you're just gifted like that. As someone who's done the competitive thing for a while, I would honestly suggest to play what you LOVE first and the wins will follow if you're dedicated and really work at shortcomings as a player. And perhaps pick up a secondary that helps you in tougher matchups where getting the kill is really important (Lucario for example).
Would you mind playing me a couple matches and letting me know what specifically to improve on?

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
Having an Alt character to go to is never a bad idea, but I think its a bit early to be giving up on characters

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Maybe you should try and pick up a secondary, just to mix up your options, however I do believe you will have to step up your game some more with Pikachu. You said you died early, so learn to DI and vectoring properly, go for some more safe moves to minimize damage taken, camp some more, just be patient and the kills will come.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Practice using a few characters that compliment you, but definitely don't drop Pika. He definitely is good enough to keep maining if you've been playing him for years already.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I've been thinking of switching myself after a good few games yesterday. It is probably me being bad, but i was having alot of issues getting in attacks. Just seemed like all my attacks have tiny range and if we both attacked at the same time, I'd allways lose out

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I did notice that the range might've been shortened on a few attacks, but the only thing I really have been struggling to adapt to is the lack of more KO moves with Pikachu without straight-up charging a smash and getting a good read to land it. Pikachu used to have insane KO potential in all of the last three games, but I'm noticing opponents surviving 20-30% longer on average per stock.

Other than that I don't think Pika's game has worsened all that much. He's still amazing at racking up damage and moving around the stage.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but if I were in your kinda situation I still would.

Pikachu is a very fast character that comes with a lot of attacking power. Thunder Jolt is a pretty good projectile, and even if the enemy does manage to shield it you can always just run up to them and grab them. Thunder is also still a pretty good move if you ask me, even with the nerf given to it. He's also great of attacking off-stage, and recovering.

Go for him if you wish!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I did notice that the range might've been shortened on a few attacks, but the only thing I really have been struggling to adapt to is the lack of more KO moves with Pikachu without straight-up charging a smash and getting a good read to land it. Pikachu used to have insane KO potential in all of the last three games, but I'm noticing opponents surviving 20-30% longer on average per stock.

Other than that I don't think Pika's game has worsened all that much. He's still amazing at racking up damage and moving around the stage.
Pretty much this. We have to work a little harder for the kill and sometimes accept that we might just have to rack up damage higher than we're used to. But aside from that we have a great recovery, great combos and follow ups, the ability to threaten from any range category and our mobility in general is a great asset in this game. Some things were shifted around but overall Pikachu is still a good character to me. I'll miss the stupid stuff like Up-Tilt > Thunder but its all good.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I think i will stick with him, im trying others but it just doesnt feel right, not comfortable with other characters at all

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
I agree with most people. I would stay with him personally. When I start not doing so well, I tend to have a break or just play with a seconday for a while.

Learn to vector if you're dying a lot. Pikachu's kills mostly end up being smart, well timed and spaced moves. Be unpredictable but still skillfull if you want to make killing easier. Pikachu's only real nerf in this game is his killing potential. It really doesn't make a massive difference; just spend a little more time patiently racking up the damage with Tjolts and your aeriels.

In the end though, its your choice. Every character has their ups and downs, and if you do switch, there'll always be a problem to deal with, a weakness to overcome. But don't do what we say. Do what you want.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
The Pika clan, devoted to our main, shall adapt, won't we? :'^)

Besides, while changes were made, he still FEELS the same, somehow. This familiarity is all the more charming.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
I used to play with Pikachu every now and then in Brawl. Is he just as good as in Brawl or did they nerf him? I've noticed that his USpecial now does some damage and it looks a lot smoother, but everybody complains about how hard it's to kill with Pikachu.

Melee Warrioir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chhipz
I'm sticking with Pikachu as my main. He isn't a character you can pick up and be instantly good with. Combined with the latency online he has a higher learning curve than most characters. But is he worth it?

The more I play him, the more I see his potential. You really have to utilize his entire kit to be good with him, as each of his moves have their purpose. You have to play aggressive to be successful, but finding the right balance of how aggressive is an absolute necessity and will vary with every match-up. I've been practicing with integrating quick attack during fights as an interrupt/ set-up for other attacks, which is integral if you want to master him.

If you're someone who has the time to get better at this game and practice, Pikachu will be very rewarding.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I'm sticking with Pikachu as my main. He isn't a character you can pick up and be instantly good with. Combined with the latency online he has a higher learning curve than most characters. But is he worth it?

The more I play him, the more I see his potential. You really have to utilize his entire kit to be good with him, as each of his moves have their purpose. You have to play aggressive to be successful, but finding the right balance of how aggressive is an absolute necessity and will vary with every match-up. I've been practicing with integrating quick attack during fights as an interrupt/ set-up for other attacks, which is integral if you want to master him.

If you're someone who has the time to get better at this game and practice, Pikachu will be very rewarding.

This is how I feel as well.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu feels like a vertible Bowser compared to the trouble I had trying to KO as Sheik. ZSS was better, but she doesn't feel to have too much of an edge over Pikachu in terms of KO options. Comparisons to brawl are irrelevant-- the KO power nerf was pretty global, and it honestly didn't hit Pikachu too terribly hard, compared to what it could have been. Either way, in a good game as Pikachu I feel almost impossible to hit anyway, so I'm apt to stick to him for a long while-- I liked how ZSS hit harder than Sheik while retaining some fun air game, but Pikachu feels like a whole new level of play for me.

American JEDI

Smash Cadet
Pretty much this. We have to work a little harder for the kill and sometimes accept that we might just have to rack up damage higher than we're used to. But aside from that we have a great recovery, great combos and follow ups, the ability to threaten from any range category and our mobility in general is a great asset in this game. Some things were shifted around but overall Pikachu is still a good character to me. I'll miss the stupid stuff like Up-Tilt > Thunder but its all good.
COMPLETELY AGREE.

American JEDI

Smash Cadet
Pikachu is downright awesome in this installment!

Oh, and QA approching & mindgames "make us feel like gods!" Am I right? hugh? Hugh!? (sooo fast....)
BTW this is coming from a previous Meta Knight main: The little, yellow, lightning god is frikin' awesome!!

Top Bottom