• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I play this again?

BaC0nz

Smash Rookie
Hello! I remember receiving a Gamecube and Melee on my birthday. I was only 4 years old when Melee launched. I do not remember when I started playing but man was it fun. I am absolutely terrible and I still am but I love Melee. Brawl and Smash 4 are not as good in my opinion. I enjoyed project M but I prefer Melee because it is what I grew up with. I never knew Melee was a competitive game till recently. It is really interesting! All these techniques, skills, and cancels amaze me. So I decided to buy a Mayflash adapter and a Gamecube controller. I want to play this game again. I know I am going to get my ass absolutely kicked but I see it as a learning experience. I am not super into competitive fighting games but I appreciate them. I do not plan on participating in tournaments but I would like to improve and learn stuff. I think it is entertaining! I’ve put a decent amount of time into MK X, Rivals of Aether, and Brawlhalla. I’d like to put some time into this game. I’ve watched some videos and I think Captain Falcon fits my play-style. Who would you recommend I play? Someone that isn’t completely complex to learn. I use to play Samus but I don’t think she fits my play-style. The thing that discourages me from playing is all the tech. I can't short hop or L-cancel for the life of me. It seems so foreign to me. There is SO MUCH to think about at one time. I just feel really overwhelmed.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Just play whoever you feel comfortable with. I'd try to get a friend into it too, that way you can learn together and it won't be so overwhelming

kswef

Button Pressing Master
I started playing the game competitively 6 months ago when my best friend brought a CRT and a modded Wii to the gaming club at my school and invited everyone to play some melee, at first I didn't want to play it cause I felt I'd lose really hard but then he thought me about a 1-hit KO move, the legendary rest and told me to abuse it on everyone and he would team with me, resting was uber easy cause one of the other guys playing was a bowser. After that I started going to every meeting until I bought myself a gamecube controller and an adapter and started playing with my friend until I learned all of tech I know today.

My point with this post is to say that this game might seem hard to learn and get into competitively but once you start practicing, everything just falls into place by trial and error. I think at that point you'll really know which character fits your playstyle. Imagine, I first thought I mained Jiggs just because of rest but now I main Shiek.

Last edited:

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I'd suggest against playing brawlhalla, it's like jiggly puff with helium in their lungs
Beware smash clones, they destroy muscle memory and play styles. I played roa for a while and when I went back to melee I couldn't wavedash or play falco

Top Bottom