• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I learn Mario to get better at the game?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I already know how to play Ness and I want to expand my character roster and pick up a secondary or two. My friend recommended I learn how to play Mario because it’ll help me with movement and physics a lot and help me learn other characters faster. Do you guys think that’s a good idea even if I’m probably not gonna stick with him unless I end up really liking him? Also if so could you guys link some good video resources? Thanks, appreciated!

I also posted this in the Mario forum so just let me know if that’s not ok and I’ll delete one of them

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
So I already know how to play Ness and I want to expand my character roster and pick up a secondary or two. My friend recommended I learn how to play Mario because it’ll help me with movement and physics a lot and help me learn other characters faster. Do you guys think that’s a good idea even if I’m probably not gonna stick with him unless I end up really liking him? Also if so could you guys link some good video resources? Thanks, appreciated!

I also posted this in the Mario forum so just let me know if that’s not ok and I’ll delete one of them
err, you don't have to, and he won't really give you a ton of benefits.

mario is more of a close-up brawler sorta like ness. though, ness has more projectiles and stuff. what you'll learn from mario you could learn from ness.

though, it wouldn't be a bad idea, since playing more characters gives you a better idea of how to do things in general, though this is more of an advanced thing (you have to have fundamentals already present first before diverging).

I'd say to keep practicing and learning ness (Learn every move and try to have a use for every move he has, and then fight lvl 3 cpus to develop flow and rhythm).

Once you start getting good and stuff, I'd recommend getting someone who's the polar opposite of ness, someone who zones a lot and needs space (villager/isabelle, or simon and richter, or the links). that way, you know how to fight your worst MUs, and know how to play a functional zoning game when you need to.

(Good video to learn neutral):

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
err, you don't have to, and he won't really give you a ton of benefits.

mario is more of a close-up brawler sorta like ness. though, ness has more projectiles and stuff. what you'll learn from mario you could learn from ness.

though, it wouldn't be a bad idea, since playing more characters gives you a better idea of how to do things in general, though this is more of an advanced thing (you have to have fundamentals already present first before diverging).

I'd say to keep practicing and learning ness (Learn every move and try to have a use for every move he has, and then fight lvl 3 cpus to develop flow and rhythm).

Once you start getting good and stuff, I'd recommend getting someone who's the polar opposite of ness, someone who zones a lot and needs space (villager/isabelle, or simon and richter, or the links). that way, you know how to fight your worst MUs, and know how to play a functional zoning game when you need to.

(Good video to learn neutral):

I know Ness really well, I know what everyone of his moves are, where and when to use it, and I can execute it whenever I want to. I know how to play his neutral, his advantage, and disadvantage. I can play mindgames and space with Ness and I don’t even think about inputs. I have the fundamentals down with Ness. I’m just looking to pick up a secondary right now and get better at the game in general with more characters

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I know Ness really well, I know what everyone of his moves are, where and when to use it, and I can execute it whenever I want to. I know how to play his neutral, his advantage, and disadvantage. I can play mindgames and space with Ness and I don’t even think about inputs. I have the fundamentals down with Ness. I’m just looking to pick up a secondary right now and get better at the game in general with more characters
well then there ya go lol. the hardest thing is MUs, which you will absolutely feel. learning a polar opposite character will aid you well.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
well then there ya go lol. the hardest thing is MUs, which you will absolutely feel. learning a polar opposite character will aid you well.
Awesome, thanks a lot! I’ll pick up a zoner to learn today

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
You don't really HAVE to. I play Dr. Mario for fun just because I find regular Mario to be boring. Alas, you don't have to pick up Ryu in Street Fighter to learn the game mechanics as well.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
You don't really HAVE to. I play Dr. Mario for fun just because I find regular Mario to be boring. Alas, you don't have to pick up Ryu in Street Fighter to learn the game mechanics as well.
Got it, yeah my friend was just saying whenever he feels his fundamentals are getting rusty he’ll play Mario for a while even though he doesn’t usually play him so it would be a good idea to learn him

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's a lot of good characters to practice fundamentals with. Swordsmen like Ike and Marth tend to be a great way to practice spacing, and they were who I practiced fundamentals with back in Smash 4. Most heavies tend to be no nonsense with basic gameplans. I think Wolf is also a pretty good way to practice movement and basic strings, like Mario himself. You have a lot of options here.

Generally though I think its healthy to get general a feel for a lot of characters even if you don't end up playing them as a serious secondary. It will help you understand the cast as a whole and might even improve your matchups against them.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
There's a lot of good characters to practice fundamentals with. Swordsmen like Ike and Marth tend to be a great way to practice spacing, and they were who I practiced fundamentals with back in Smash 4. Most heavies tend to be no nonsense with basic gameplans. I think Wolf is also a pretty good way to practice movement and basic strings, like Mario himself. You have a lot of options here.

Generally though I think its healthy to get general a feel for a lot of characters even if you don't end up playing them as a serious secondary. It will help you understand the cast as a whole and might even improve your matchups against them.
Thanks, I’d much rather play Marth and Wolf than Mario. Yeah I do plan on trying out a bunch of characters just so I know what they’re capable of and how my opponent would be thinking with them. Also who knows, I might end up really liking one

Top Bottom