• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I learn Mario to get better at the game?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I already know how to play Ness and I want to expand my character roster and pick up a secondary or two. My friend recommended I learn how to play Mario because it’ll help me with movement and physics a lot and help me learn other characters faster. Do you guys think that’s a good idea even if I’m probably not gonna stick with him unless I end up really liking him? Also if so could you guys link some good video resources? Thanks, appreciated!

Dunharrow

Smash Cadet
Mario is a good all around character. He's got all the tools needed to succeed. I don't know if learning him will help with physics just because speed in the air is character specific.

Personally I love the Mario bros. I think their kits allow for adaptation on any match up but I don't think playing Mario specifically will improve much with regards to learning a different character.

Id say play what you think might be a fun secondary rather than playing someone you don't intend to stick with.

That being said. Mario is a great pick if you so choose

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think the concept for Mario being a good character to learn the game with is faulty. While he is an all-rounder, he has a lot of character specific issues and applications which aren't universally applicable or easily grasped:

-Needing to reverse upsmash to hit in front (literally no other character has to do this, except luigi sometimes but his actually hits opponents standing in front)
-Having VERY poor frontal coverage, requiring lots of rars.
-FLUDD is purely a positioning/edgeguarding tool, which is great at high level, but is a difficult concept to grasp at low-mid level. Making it difficult to understand how to 'force approaches'.

Personally, I think Cloud is a much better basic fundamentals character since he truly has a good everything, except recovery. (which will more quickly teach you to mix it up)

Last edited:

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Mario's a good character to understand what the neutral game is in Ultimate.

Top Bottom