• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should i learn how to foxtrot just for luigi?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
so i was wondering if i should try to master the technique of forxtroting just for luigi since he slides so much after a dash which leaves him vulnerable. is it worth it the trublle? also any other techniques that would be good to learn that would complement luigi would be nice

BakaFlocka

Smash Rookie
NNID
BakaFlocka
I find that shielding to stop his dash is a way better option than foxtrotting. I feel like foxtrotting isn't too viable for Luigi, and in general, foxtrotting is situational but rarely ever the best option.

I don't think that there is much tech when it comes to Luigi, just practice reading/punishing so you can take advantage of Luigi's early kill potential. Oh yeah! Practice Luigi's down b mash for his recovery as well. Easily one of the most important tools for Luigi.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
I find that shielding to stop his dash is a way better option than foxtrotting. I feel like foxtrotting isn't too viable for Luigi, and in general, foxtrotting is situational but rarely ever the best option.

I don't think that there is much tech when it comes to Luigi, just practice reading/punishing so you can take advantage of Luigi's early kill potential. Oh yeah! Practice Luigi's down b mash for his recovery as well. Easily one of the most important tools for Luigi.
oh okay. thanks :) also i have so much trouble with luigis down b. i read somewhere that to get maximum height you had to mash like 14 times or soemthing, within the timeframe o the move. i can hardly mash like 6 :I

BakaFlocka

Smash Rookie
NNID
BakaFlocka
I feel like I don't mash b that fast, but I can easily get up from the bottom red zone. As long as Luigi has upward momentum, it's cake!

What's great about this recovery tool is that you can use Luigi's side b to get more horizontal distance, use his down b to recover low, and end with his up b to finish off what you can't reach with down b. This is so important to know so you can level the playing field with the characters with immaculate recovery.

Just make sure to mix up your recoveries and not always recover low, because you will get gimped!

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
For me, foxtrotting turns me into an UpB god. I buff the input, and it comes out as soon as luigi stops. It travels far and eliminates the risk of accidentally inputting an air UpB. Luigi's dash, and dash attack are pretty punishable, but it's a lot less risk when you don't commit to the dash attack or the full run. Because you limit your options while running. But with the trot, you're just gaining distance.
In conclusion. It just gives you more control.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I like foxtrot into fireballs and foxtrot into jabs. Otherwise, not particularly useful.

BakaFlocka

Smash Rookie
NNID
BakaFlocka
For me, foxtrotting turns me into an UpB god. I buff the input, and it comes out as soon as luigi stops. It travels far and eliminates the risk of accidentally inputting an air UpB. Luigi's dash, and dash attack are pretty punishable, but it's a lot less risk when you don't commit to the dash attack or the full run. Because you limit your options while running. But with the trot, you're just gaining distance.
In conclusion. It just gives you more control.
Ahhhh, I see! Using the trot to buffer an up b, that's a neat option. I can definitely see how that would be useful.

I personally take off tap to jump so running into an up b isn't too hard, it can just be awkward to time.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I mainly use foxtrotting for two things:

1) To follow someone falling down to the stage. Luigi's turning animation from a run is pretty slow. So I foxtrot to follow my opponent's movement as they fall. This way I can be in a good position to attack.

2) I tend to use foxtrotting as a bait and punish move. Sort of like a dash dance. I'll dash in and out to try to bait a committment. This works the best when my opponent is hanging from the ledge. I'll dash in to bait a getup attack then punish

Top Bottom